PDA

View Full Version : Brightness returns to original level without prompting

tbessie
2006-11-21, 11:05
On the SB, I navigate to an album, lower the brightness down to the lowest-but-1 setting, and press play.

When the song starts playing, the brightness automatically goes back to the brightest setting and stays there.

Is this a known problem?

- Tim

azinck3
2006-11-21, 11:08
On the SB, I navigate to an album, lower the brightness down to the lowest-but-1 setting, and press play.

When the song starts playing, the brightness automatically goes back to the brightest setting and stays there.

Is this a known problem?

- Tim

In the web interface go to player settings->display and adjust your brightness preferences.

tbessie
2006-11-21, 11:14
In the web interface go to player settings->display and adjust your brightness preferences.

But is one of them something about restoring brightness at certain points, or are the player and the server at odds about whatever the "current brightness level" are? 'cause I'd like the brightness level I set on the player to stick.

- Tim

azinck3
2006-11-21, 11:21
But is one of them something about restoring brightness at certain points, or are the player and the server at odds about whatever the "current brightness level" are? 'cause I'd like the brightness level I set on the player to stick.

- Tim

There's no such thing as "brightness level set on the player"...the brightness level is always determined by the server though it can be changed via the player's remote, just like most everything else on the squeezebox. What you want to do is go to that setting that I referred to before and change "automatic display brightness" to "adjust brightness manually". I'm with you--this is always the first adjustment I make to my any new player when I connect it to the network. I don't like the brightness switching around on me.

tbessie
2006-11-21, 11:38
There's no such thing as "brightness level set on the player"...the brightness level is always determined by the server though it can be changed via the player's remote, just like most everything else on the squeezebox. What you want to do is go to that setting that I referred to before and change "automatic display brightness" to "adjust brightness manually". I'm with you--this is always the first adjustment I make to my any new player when I connect it to the network. I don't like the brightness switching around on me.

Thanks -- yeah, this is associated with the discussion I was having in another thread of wishing the SqueezeBox was more autonomous of the server. There'd be the Server settings and the SqueezeBox settings, and the SqueezeBox's would superceded the Server's, unless "forced". I like that model better. Either that, or the settings having to do with SqueezeBox behavior were all saved in flash on the SqueezeBox (not just current state and network settings), and the Server just read/wrote them.

Anyway... just getting used to the paradigm.

- Tim

azinck3
2006-11-21, 11:58
Thanks -- yeah, this is associated with the discussion I was having in another thread of wishing the SqueezeBox was more autonomous of the server. There'd be the Server settings and the SqueezeBox settings, and the SqueezeBox's would superceded the Server's, unless "forced". I like that model better. Either that, or the settings having to do with SqueezeBox behavior were all saved in flash on the SqueezeBox (not just current state and network settings), and the Server just read/wrote them.

Anyway... just getting used to the paradigm.

- Tim

Just to clarify: I'm with you on wanting to turn off automatic brightness adjustment. However, I'm not in agreement about the rest of what you said; I quite like the Squeezebox "dumb client" model. It's a simple and elegant model which allows for all the flexibility that makes the squeezebox so fundamentally attractive to me.

tbessie
2006-11-21, 12:33
Just to clarify: I'm with you on wanting to turn off automatic brightness adjustment. However, I'm not in agreement about the rest of what you said; I quite like the Squeezebox "dumb client" model. It's a simple and elegant model which allows for all the flexibility that makes the squeezebox so fundamentally attractive to me.

There's nothing with a dumb client, but SOME autonomy is a Good Thing(tm), at least IMHO, for any device like this. It wouldn't make it THAT less dumb if it could rubustly (that is, with full control of and feedback to the user) connect to other devices and services on the network without having to go through SlimServer... have some basic autonomous infrastructure so that it didn't HAVE to have a SlimServer running in order to work at all.

That wouldn't make it "smart", just not quite as crippled without SlimServer, and that, in my mind, would make it even MORE useful.

Just because you can provide upgrades and new services, etc. by making upgrades to SlimServer, doesn't mean that making the SqueezeBox slightly smarter would make the SlimServer functionality any less useful, flexible or important.

- Tim

azinck3
2006-11-21, 13:07
There's nothing with a dumb client, but SOME autonomy is a Good Thing(tm), at least IMHO, for any device like this. It wouldn't make it THAT less dumb if it could rubustly (that is, with full control of and feedback to the user) connect to other devices and services on the network without having to go through SlimServer... have some basic autonomous infrastructure so that it didn't HAVE to have a SlimServer running in order to work at all.

That wouldn't make it "smart", just not quite as crippled without SlimServer, and that, in my mind, would make it even MORE useful.

Just because you can provide upgrades and new services, etc. by making upgrades to SlimServer, doesn't mean that making the SqueezeBox slightly smarter would make the SlimServer functionality any less useful, flexible or important.

- Tim

Well, the client's already not completely dumb. Just exactly where to draw the line with respect to where to put the logic is a matter of judgement. I'm personally generally quite happy with the balance that's been struck. Brightness, or any other player settings (aside from those required to connect to the network) are not the sorts of things I'd want to see added to the player--there's absolutely no reason I can see to divorce these from the server. On the other hand, something like support for dns resolution would be useful as it would better allow the SB to connect to a particular kind of network architecture. What specific functionality would you want to see added to the SB hardware? I ask this question having already rudely (sorry!) disregarded your request that the sb be able to play music from arbitrary devices without using a server because what you're asking for there is a totally different device than what the squeezebox is, sharing outward similarity but fundamentally almost entirely different execution. So my question is more along the lines of how to makea car into a better car, rather than how to make a car more like a train. Similar purposes, different execution, each with its own pluses and minuses.

snarlydwarf
2006-11-21, 13:24
Brightness, or any other player settings (aside from those required to connect to the network) are not the sorts of things I'd want to see added to the player--there's absolutely no reason I can see to divorce these from the server.

Especially since brightness, when the server is off, is a moot point: the display is black.

tbessie
2006-11-21, 14:21
Well, the client's already not completely dumb. Just exactly where to draw the line with respect to where to put the logic is a matter of judgement. I'm personally generally quite happy with the balance that's been struck. Brightness, or any other player settings (aside from those required to connect to the network) are not the sorts of things I'd want to see added to the player--there's absolutely no reason I can see to divorce these from the server. On the other hand, something like support for dns resolution would be useful as it would better allow the SB to connect to a particular kind of network architecture. What specific functionality would you want to see added to the SB hardware? I ask this question having already rudely (sorry!) disregarded your request that the sb be able to play music from arbitrary devices without using a server because what you're asking for there is a totally different device than what the squeezebox is, sharing outward similarity but fundamentally almost entirely different execution. So my question is more along the lines of how to makea car into a better car, rather than how to make a car more like a train. Similar purposes, different execution, each with its own pluses and minuses.

To point to the Roku, if you don't mind -- it's not much smarter (some would say dumber) than the SqueezeBox. Yet it can connect to random streams available out there on the network, correct?

Is that functionality anathema to SqueezeBox design?

- Tim

azinck3
2006-11-21, 14:31
To point to the Roku, if you don't mind -- it's not much smarter (some would say dumber) than the SqueezeBox. Yet it can connect to random streams available out there on the network, correct?

Is that functionality anathema to SqueezeBox design?

- Tim

I take your point, but you're still not quite accurate. The Roku relies on a server, too; a UPnP server. UPnP servers do offload much more of the work to the client. But I've never seen a UPnP device that I really liked--the SB/slimserver model is just so much better. UPnP devices are very limited in their capabilities by virtue of the fact that the client is responsible for so much. So it sounds like you basically want a Roku with better SB emulation and an uncompromised audio section? It may be that the audio quality is what had to be compromised in order to bring the Roku to market at its price point. I don't know. As for me, I wouldn't use UPnP or similar functionality (not as powerful as Slimserver/SB) and I don't want/need a device that can connect to all different kinds of servers in all different kinds of ways. It just needs to connect one way and do it well (sorry to all of you out there that are struggling with various SS issues--it really can work and work well!).

If you want a standalone unit you might see if you can find a used Turtle Beach Audiotron.