PDA

View Full Version : Disabling volume adjustment?

davidcotton
2006-11-21, 10:32
Hi

Have got my qnap and connected it directly to the sb3. Is there a way of making sure the volume adjustment is fixed? I can access it in the scroll down menu on the sb3 itself but it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference. I found that disabling volume adjustment whilst using the sb3 hooked up to my pc/router made a difference for the better in sound quality.

Cheers.

RichardEvans
2006-11-21, 12:34
I don't really see why you would want to disable the volume control, but if that is what you want to do you could try doing it through the web interface.

Point your web browser to port 9000 of your slim server. So for example mine is at address 192.168.0.200 on my local network, so I point my web browser to 192.168.0.200:9000.

This should give you a web page (generated by your slimserver).
Down the Left hand side you have the title Settings and any media players (including Squeezeboxes) should be listed here. Click on the one you want to change.

Now select Audio from the options near the top, and then scroll down to, Digital Volume Control.

There is an option here for "Digital Output Leval is Fixed". I have never tried this option, but it might do what you want to do.

Richard.

2pods
2006-11-21, 14:53
I use that setting and find it very useful, as it means I only have to worry about the amp volume control.

Peter

mswlogo
2006-12-29, 11:45
I don't really see why you would want to disable the volume control, but if that is what you want to do you could try doing it through the web interface.

Richard.

You don't want ANY volume control if your using the digital interface on the squeeze box. You are losing resolution by it muching with the digital stream to adjust volume.

If you have DTS encode files in your library you cannot touch the digital stream.

You want Volume to be done in the analog domain.

This applies to the analog outputs also out of the squeeze box, because even a analog preamp expects a fixed level input. You only want ONE volume control if you want the cleanest signal.

That said, when the squeeze box is at 100% it is doing nothing to the digital signal. So you really want it FIXED at 100%.

If I bump the volume down just 1 notch on a DTS track, I get loud digital hiss that could blow a tweeter or ear drum or something.

I have set the Volume disabled everywhere I see it but it still adjusts.

slimpy
2006-12-29, 14:00
You don't want ANY volume control if your using the digital interface on the squeeze box. You are losing resolution by it muching with the digital stream to adjust volume.
This is only partially true and has been discussed in numerous threads. If you don't use DTS (et al) encoded material but common formats like flac, mp3 you don't loose resolution by using the volume control in the upper half of the scale. I can't remember the exact limit (45 maybe?). The reason for this is that the dac provides more bit width than is actually needed by the music data. The remaining bits are padded with 0. If you lower the volume only these padded bits are lost.

-s.

Skunk
2006-12-29, 15:57
This is only partially true and has been discussed in numerous threads. If you don't use DTS (et al) encoded material but common formats like flac, mp3 you don't loose resolution by using the volume control in the upper half of the scale.

"This is completely, 100% wrong. It doesn't matter how many people say this, it is still wrong", was Sean Adam's response to this assumption here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=30916

slimpy
2006-12-29, 18:45
I shouldn't have used the term resolution I guess.
mswlogo was talking about losing information in the digital domain hence his reference to playing back dts tracks with volume set below 100.
With 16bit music data even with volume not at 100 all those 16bits are still sent to the dac. What comes after the dac is another story beautifully laid out in the thread referenced above - which I missed by the way, otherwise I would have chosen my words a bit more carefully. Bloody bad idea to start a thread like that on Christmas Eve anyway ;)

-s.

Skunk
2006-12-30, 11:08
I have set the Volume disabled everywhere I see it but it still adjusts.

Not sure if you're looking for advice or making a statement, but if you use replay gain, volume control may be disabled but still adjust (i.e. not pass DTS/HDCD).

Anne
2007-02-18, 03:52
Well, dont understand this really. I have fixed volume, disabled volume adjustment under replay gain, diabled volume with the remote, and you can still adjust volume with the remote....
Am I missing an option here or is it normal ?
I only use the analog ouputs.

tommypeters
2007-02-18, 04:23
The "Fixed volume" setting is only for the *digital* outs. When you're using analogue outs, just keep your hands off those volume control buttons! :D