PDA

View Full Version : Can't Open (some) File:??

eiverson
2006-11-21, 09:05
I've recently completely redone by slimserver/squeezebox setup, adding a squeezebox 3, updating to slimserver 6.5.0. I've run into several problems. I'll mention most of them, even though I'm really only looking at one at a time...

The main problem I have, mentioned in the subject line, is that about half my music (that is, half of ~200 albums) is no longer readable via the squeezebox 3. If I try to open such a track, I get the error "Can't open file: ...", although all the info is displayed (format, bitrate, etc.), and the track will play just fine on a squeezebox 1 or on any of three different softsqueezes (running on Linux, Windows XP, and Windows Media Center Edition). Furthermore, the tracks did play (on the squeezebox 3) the first time I installed slimserver 6.5.0 (via RPM, on a patched FC5 linux machine). But I had to remove and reinstall (from the same RPM) in an effort to fix another problem (detailed below). After the reinstall, the "Can't open file" problems started. Fortunately, I'd picked out several playlists to use as a test case, so I am absolutely certain that the playlists in question did work before, and don't now. It is always the same playlists that display the problem.

When this error occurs, I get the following in the /tmp/slimserver.log logfile:
-------
2006-11-21 09:57:20.5135 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Player::Source::errorOpening (/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Player/Source.pm line 634)
frame 1: Slim::Player::Source::notSupported (/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 657)
frame 2: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::_stat_handler (/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 387)
frame 3: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::client_readable (/usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 4: Slim::Networking::Select::select (/usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 487)
frame 5: main::idle (/usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 440)
frame 6: main::main (/usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl line 1039)
-------
Apologies for the wrapped lines.

My library is (nearly) all in ogg format. It does seem as though the files which fail were encoded at a different time from those which succeed, as they are encoded by a different version of libvorbis (1.0 RC3 for those which fail, and 1.0 for those which succeed), and at a different bitrate. But I'm puzzled as to why they did work with the first install, and how the "info" can properly display bitrate, tags, file size/time, etc., in short do everything but play the music!

I'll go ahead and mention the other problems I'm seeing, because maybe they're related. The squeezebox 3 also "hangs" frequently; it will be playing along, and the music just stops. and won't restart, although I can restart at the beginning of the track by hitting play, or move to the next track by hitting skip. This behavior doesn't happen on the squeezebox 1.

The squeezebox 1 frequently looses contact with the slimserver (reporting the error "lost contact with slimserver"), and won't reconnect without a power cycle. This happens at least daily. This never happens on the squeezebox 3.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Best Regards,
Erik

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-21, 14:30
Unfortunately this doesn't resolve your issue, but someone else reported that ogg files made with certain encoders will not play:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29904

The reason I post it is that it's a VERY detailed list.

You might be able to get around it by transcoding, say to FLAC?

eiverson
2006-11-21, 17:41
Well, actually this will get me around it - if I just "deselect" ogg hardware under Server Settings > File Types, it will transcode and send just fine. It does so for all Ogg files, not just the ones for which the hardware decoder doesn't work, but I guess that's just a matter of bandwidth.

thanks a million!

ebi

Unfortunately this doesn't resolve your issue, but someone else reported that ogg files made with certain encoders will not play:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29904

The reason I post it is that it's a VERY detailed list.

You might be able to get around it by transcoding, say to FLAC?