PDA

View Full Version : Will listening to radio stations effect my monthly download allowance ???

SPC
2006-11-20, 08:02
I'm thinking about purchasing the new sqeezebox system to play my existing music collection and internet radio stations.

I'm new to this so please excuse me if this sounds like a stupid question !...... I have a 6gb monthly download limit from my ISP, will listening to internet radio stations from the squeezenetwork use this allowance ??

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Simon

benh
2006-11-20, 08:07
Yes, it will.

Since listening to an Internet Radio station involves you essentially "downloading" the audio stream, it will count against your monthly bandwidth limits.

bpa
2006-11-20, 08:10
Even having your squeezebox do nothing ehile connected to Squeezenetwork will use some allocation as Squeezenetwork will be continuously update the display.

SPC
2006-11-20, 08:17
Thanks for your help guys, i know 6Gb is not enough, but how could i work out how much (good quality) radio i could listen to before i use this allowance ??.... not much me thinks !

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-20, 08:33
Depends what you mean by "good quality".

About the highest bitrate you can achieve with free stations is 128 kbps. You'll find most are 96 kbps.

Add to that SqueezeNetwork overhead, say 50 kbps or so (a wild guess!)

6 gigabytes = 50 331 648 kilobits.

If you devoted all this to Internet radio through SqueezeNetwork, assuming a worst-case scenario of 128 kbps with 50 kbps overhead, that's 282762 seconds of playback = 78.5 hours of playback. But that's devoting the entire allocation - say you want to devote 50% to other use, that's 39 hours of playback or a little over an hour a day. Not too much but could be workable.

In a more typical scenario of 96 kbps + 50 kbps overhead, allocating 50% of your cap, it's 48 hours of playback or 1-1/2 hours playback per day.

You can save the overhead as well as any standby traffic if you pipe Internet radio through SlimServer as SS will generate the screen and process IR commands, plus handle the screensaver.

Several years ago when download caps were used here, I had a 2 GB download cap. I remember when I discovered Internet radio I burned that up pretty fast.

benh
2006-11-20, 08:36
It depends on the bitrate of the stream.

Figure you want to listen to a 128kbps stream. An hour of that (128 kilobits per second multiplied by 3600 seconds) is 460800 kilobits, or 57600 kiloBYTES, which ends up being about 57 megabytes of data.

So, an hour of 128kbps streaming audio will use up about 57 megabytes of your traffic allotment.

You can work from there to sort out your bandwidth demands based on 128kbps streams, or to recalculate based on a different bitrate stream.

In reality, you'll use a bit more than I've indicated above due to various network overhead factors, but for rough estimates, that's accurate enough.

SPC
2006-11-20, 09:09
Thanks for the info, that is really helpful. That is a lot more usage than i would of expected for only 6Gb... Maybe i wont have to change ISP's after all

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-20, 09:21
Thanks for the info, that is really helpful. That is a lot more usage than i would of expected for only 6Gb... Maybe i wont have to change ISP's after all

Maybe use it for a month or so and see how close you're getting to the 6 GB cap. It will depend how much your other usage is. If you don't download video or big things like Linux ISOs you may be able to devote even more than 50% of your download cap to Internet radio.

nelamvr6
2006-11-21, 17:12
I listen to Radio Paradise at 192 kBps for at least an hour a day, usually much more, and I have never received any sort of warning from my ISP.

But I don't think I have such a draconian download limit though.

I believe you should try to find another ISP, 6 Gig is way too little.