PDA

View Full Version : Display Amplifier Status on Squeezebox (AVR-4306)

Bruce Hartley
2006-11-20, 05:14
Thought some of you guys might be interested in the little project I knocked up last night.

I have a Denon AVR-4306 AV receiver which has an ethernet port.
A while ago I created a little app that would control the amp and also display it's status.
So if you turned up the volume, the PC could show what you had changed it to.
Not a particularly useful app, but a good toy.

However last night I had a flash of inspiration.
I am changing the cabinet for my AV gear and the new one will have solid doors (not speaker cloth). This means I won't be able to see the display on the amp.

Why don't I display the info on the squeezebox I thought.
So I did.

Changed the PC application so that as well as displaying the info on the PC, it sends it as display commands to the squeezebox using the http CLI.

If anyone is interested in how I did it, or taking a look at the code, then let me know.

Cheers,
Bruce.

tommypeters
2006-11-20, 06:49
While I don't need it right now, every code example of that type may be a time-saver later when it's needed. And I guess more people will be interested in it...

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-20, 07:46
That's pretty cool.

I don't have a 4306. However we will be seeing this sort of thing more often. It's too bad there's no standard for this - it's different among different manufacturers and even among models with the same manufacturer.

I believe it uses the same protocols for its RS-232 interface? In which case you can also send commands to it from a small SlimServer plug-in. Now that would be interesting. You turn the Squeezebox on, the receiver turns on and switches to the Squeezebox input. You could even set a favourite volume level.

Got me thinking about older receivers that have RS-232 connections like mine. I could interface it to the network using my Transporter bridge functionality. However Ethernet to RS-232 converters aren't cheap and use potentially complex drivers.