PDA

View Full Version : When SB turned off, reboot machine, can't find device

tbessie
2006-11-20, 02:26
Hello all...

Still another new user question (perhaps this should be in the newbie section, but it may be a firewall issue)...

If my SqueezeBox is connected to my server, and I turned the SqueezeBox off, then reboot my machine, and SlimServer comes up, and says it can't find the SqueezeBox.

When I go back to the SqueezeBox, and tell it to connect, it sticks at "Connecting".

I have to start from the Network Settings position on the SqueezeBox, and just go through all the settings I've already made, for it to connect to SlimServer, and THEN SlimServer says it's found the SqueezeBox.

Is it not supposed to be that if the SqueezeBox is powered, even if it is "off", that SlimServer can still find it, and the SB can still find SlimServer even though it's been restarted?

This is in an environment where I'm using a static IP for the SB.

I've checked the firewall logs, and no packets from the SB are being rejected, so I don't THINK it's anything to do with the firewall. I just thought, even with a static IP, that the SB would reconnect automatically without me having to go through the setup procedure again.

- Tim

tbessie
2006-11-20, 02:34
Sorry about that... I see this is both a filed bug, and a thread here:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29230

JJZolx
2006-11-20, 04:31
Yes, the SB should reconnect, whether you've shut down the SB and power it up while SlimServer is running, or you start up SlimServer with the SB already running. Next time this happens, you might try some of the (simpler) means suggested to reconnect.

- Press the Power button on the remote. Try it a few times.

- Restart the SlimServer program (or service, if you're running SlimServer as a service on Windows). Again, give it a few tries.

Post some feedback in the bug report on what works for you. Hopefully they'll get it figured out soon.

tbessie
2006-11-21, 00:00
Yes, the SB should reconnect, whether you've shut down the SB and power it up while SlimServer is running, or you start up SlimServer with the SB already running. Next time this happens, you might try some of the (simpler) means suggested to reconnect.

- Press the Power button on the remote. Try it a few times.

- Restart the SlimServer program (or service, if you're running SlimServer as a service on Windows). Again, give it a few tries.

Post some feedback in the bug report on what works for you. Hopefully they'll get it figured out soon.

Nope, neither of those made it reconnect. The only thing that worked was starting afresh from "Network Settings" and just selecting everything I'd already input before. THEN it could connect.

I'll add that to the bug report.

Edit: Huh... Well, after all that -- pressing the power button a bunch of times, no connect, restarting the server, no connect, pressing the power buttons again, no connect. Then I go back to the SB, press power, and it's connected. Still, it's not very confidence-building to see it take so much to get it to connect again.

- Tim