PDA

View Full Version : Connecting SqueezeboxV3 to remote SlimServer

kilzo
2006-11-19, 14:44
Hi there,

I have seen many posts and FAQs about accessing a SlimServer on your local network from a remote location, with Softqueeze or with the "stream.mp3 trick". But what I am trying to accomplish is the opposite. A friend of mine has a web hosting company and we had this idea of running a SlimServer on one of his boxes. This way, him, me and a couple of other friends all owning a Squeezebox could all use this one server and share our music collections this way. The SlimServer software seems to have all the features required: username/password+IP address based access restriction etc. But the SqueezeboxV3 player seems to only be able to detect local SlimServers. Is there a way to instruct an SB to connect to a specific (remote) server, that it could not find using the default "autodetect" behaviour?

Thanks!

azinck3
2006-11-19, 15:55
Hi there,

I have seen many posts and FAQs about accessing a SlimServer on your local network from a remote location, with Softqueeze or with the "stream.mp3 trick". But what I am trying to accomplish is the opposite. A friend of mine has a web hosting company and we had this idea of running a SlimServer on one of his boxes. This way, him, me and a couple of other friends all owning a Squeezebox could all use this one server and share our music collections this way. The SlimServer software seems to have all the features required: username/password+IP address based access restriction etc. But the SqueezeboxV3 player seems to only be able to detect local SlimServers. Is there a way to instruct an SB to connect to a specific (remote) server, that it could not find using the default "autodetect" behaviour?

Thanks!

absolutely--when it autodetects just don't pick any of the listed servers. Go down the list and choose to specify a server. You'll be able to enter an IP address. I was running a few boxes all over Florida using just such an arrangement.

kilzo
2006-11-20, 15:24
Great! I overlooked that option, but that's exactly what I needed. Thanks for confirming that this setup is feasible!

tmalone
2006-11-21, 01:26
I have not yet seen a FAQ or Forum post that helps answer the question of what to do if you want to connect a Squeezebox to a SlimServer that resides on a remote host with a dynamic IP address. It is almost worthless to try and "discover" the new IP address each time you want to connect. And though it is easy to assign a domain name to the SlimServer machine (using dyndns etc.) as far as I can tell there is no way to enter the domain name and port# information into the Squeezebox.

Am I missing something? Or is there a way to work around this?

azinck3
2006-11-21, 08:03
I have not yet seen a FAQ or Forum post that helps answer the question of what to do if you want to connect a Squeezebox to a SlimServer that resides on a remote host with a dynamic IP address. It is almost worthless to try and "discover" the new IP address each time you want to connect. And though it is easy to assign a domain name to the SlimServer machine (using dyndns etc.) as far as I can tell there is no way to enter the domain name and port# information into the Squeezebox.

Am I missing something? Or is there a way to work around this?

Yes, this is a major shortcoming for me, too. I'd love it if the SB were able to resolve URLs. It is currently not possible. In my old job I was fortunate to have a PC with a dedicated static global IP that I used as my slimserver.

MrSinatra
2006-11-21, 09:16
very interesting...

i've been kicking around the idea that the SB should be a ddns updater, since it does this for SN anyway. it would be great for me, since my router does not have ddns built in.

seems to me that if SD set this up to work off their SB's, they could also do it as part of the SS program.

they could then relate this info to subdomains automatically. that way we could all have individual subdomains, ie.

MrSinatra.Squeezenetwork.com for the SB, and

MrSinatra.slimDevices.com for the SS. (multiples of either could just add a number to the user, MrSinatra1.Sq...)

and that would be good.

now, i don't know if its technically impossible for the SB to resolves DNS ips, or if its a feature just not implemented, BUT if we had such a system the SN could stream to your SB whatever the stream output was of your remote SS, if you follow me. (since SN could resolve the ddns name of your remote SS)

interested to hear replies...

MrSinatra
2006-11-22, 13:53
maybe i wrote my post in such a way as to be confusing... so let me restate what i said above, nixing the ddns part first...

you guys have a solution right now at your disposal i think.

1. make your SS install on a remore server web accessible to you.

2. get it to start playing whatever you want from your remote location.

3. then log into SN and tell SN to save as a fave your remotely located SS stream.

now, obviously, you will need to run some kind of ddns program on the remote server if the ip is not static.

this is why i was saying that it would be great if ddns was offered by SD on SN, SB, and SS.

but it would not have to be done by SD. if you could get a ddns client to run wherever your SS install is, you should still be able to do this.

SN is what enables this workaround. sure, its an extra step in the routing since SB can't (or won't) resolve domain names, but its a workable solution.

thoughts?

tmalone
2006-11-22, 20:37
Thanks, good idea, but one problem is that from the remote location all I (my clients) will have is a SB - as I don't want my clients to have to figure out how to "set up" the SlimServer to stream to SlimNetwork using a computer with browser etc. The idea is that I set up a SlimServer in a client's home, but in a vacation home my client could simply have a SB and some speakers. Ideally they just turn on the remote Squeezebox, it connects to the SS at the primary residence with a URL (domain name and port#) and voila, music.

Based on what you said however, I suppose I could set up the SlimServer to ALWAYS stream to the SlimNetwork, and therefore the remote Squeezebox could be configured to ALWAYS look for that favorite stream. Interesting.

Yet, it's still too bad the SB doesn't resolve URLs! :)

MrSinatra
2006-11-23, 10:53
i am curious... do u earn a living setting up audio for rich people? i'd like to know more about that, if you care to divulge any details.

while its true that the secondary SB's wouldn't have the same abilities directly connecting to SS, it would still work in its limited capacity.

just turn on "random mix" and let it roll. when they connect their secondary SB's to SN, their own random mix can be just one of the streams, and made to be the first. but you could save them lots of [other, internet source based] faves at SN of different genres. easy to navigate.

one of the things i like about SN is the simplicity of its stripped downedness, and that you don't need a computer to make it work, another bonus for you, in case your remote SS install isn't reachable or goes down for some reason.

tmalone
2006-11-24, 16:58
Yes, I am a custom electronics installer and a member of CEDIA. There are are no big secrets, I design and build home entertainment systems for residential customers, mostly medium-to-large size homes. I also recommend/install phone/networking/security equipment as well.

I really appreciate your input on how to take advantage of the SlimNetwork, as more and more of my clients want to keep their music in one location but access it from anywhere. Usually I set up an Infrant NAS (which happens to run SlimServer) plus a local player (such as Sonos, Roku or SqueezeBox) and then use a whole-house music system (such as Niles ICS or Russound) to distribute the music to multiple rooms. The client can also use software players (iTunes, Windows Media Player, SoftSqueeze) or hopefully soon take advantage of remote players also to access this music.

Also I just saw that SlimDevices is having an Open House on Dec. 8 at their facility which I plan on attending to find out more about the remote access capabilities of the Squeezebox using SlimServer and SlimNetwork!

Todd