PDA

View Full Version : What is UDP Port 3865 used for?

tbessie
2006-11-18, 21:15
My software firewall on the machine I'm running SlimServer on is blocking an attempt to connect to UDP Port 3865, apparently when SlimServer starts up. I've search in this forum, and seen references to this port, but in the documentation and Wiki, there is nothing at all about it.

Why is SlimServer (or the SqueezeBox, but I think its a component of SlimServer -- possibly the MySql instance?) trying to connect to port 3865? Is it Not A Good Thing(tm) that my software firewall's blocking it? And is this documented anywhere?

I have also seen UDP Port 68 (BOOTPC - Bootstrap Protocol Client) and Port 1900 (SSDP - Simple Service Discovery Protocol) being blocked, and it seems related to SlimServer/SqueezeBox activity. The BOOTPC connection is coming from UDP Port 67 (BOOTPS - Bootstrap Protocol Server) on my router, but I've only noticed it happening recently when there is Slimserver/SqueezeBox activity.

Where can I find a list of ALL ports used by SlimServer and SqueezeBox, including any lower-level network protocols and ports they might use?

Edit: As I posted elsewhere, some of these packets (the BOOTPC, BOOTPS, and possibly the SSDP packets) are most likely coming from an interaction between SlimServer and my Roku SoundBridge, which is also on my network, as I have noted below.

- Tim

Ben Sandee
2006-11-18, 22:41
On 11/18/06, tbessie <tbessie.2hi53b1163910001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> My software firewall on the machine I'm running SlimServer on is
> blocking an attempt to connect to UDP Port 3865, apparently when
> SlimServer starts up. I've search in this forum, and seen references
> to this port, but in the documentation and Wiki, there is nothing at
> all about it.
>
> Why is SlimServer (or the SqueezeBox, but I think its a component of
> SlimServer -- possibly the MySql instance?) trying to connect to port
> 3865? Is it Not A Good Thing(tm) that my firewall's blocking it? And
> is this documented anywhere?

A quick google reveals it is probably the xPL plugin. You can disable this
plugin if you are concerned -- unless you are using xPL in which case you
would probably want to open up the port.

Given all the different plugins, it may be time consuming to list every
possible port used. This FAQ entry tells you what SlimServer uses for its
core player communication:

http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=2&id=76&artlang=en&highlight=ports

In short, TCP 3483, 9000 and UDP 3483.

I could be wrong, but I think that UDP 3483 may only be used for SliMP3
devices.

Ben

tbessie
2006-11-18, 23:18
On 11/18/06, tbessie <tbessie.2hi53b1163910001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> My software firewall on the machine I'm running SlimServer on is
> blocking an attempt to connect to UDP Port 3865, apparently when
> SlimServer starts up. I've search in this forum, and seen references
> to this port, but in the documentation and Wiki, there is nothing at
> all about it.
>
> Why is SlimServer (or the SqueezeBox, but I think its a component of
> SlimServer -- possibly the MySql instance?) trying to connect to port
> 3865? Is it Not A Good Thing(tm) that my firewall's blocking it? And
> is this documented anywhere?

A quick google reveals it is probably the xPL plugin. You can disable this
plugin if you are concerned -- unless you are using xPL in which case you
would probably want to open up the port.

Given all the different plugins, it may be time consuming to list every
possible port used. This FAQ entry tells you what SlimServer uses for its
core player communication:

http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=2&id=76&artlang=en&highlight=ports

In short, TCP 3483, 9000 and UDP 3483.

I could be wrong, but I think that UDP 3483 may only be used for SliMP3
devices.

Ben

Thanks, Ben; I'd already looked at that FAQ, but you're probably right about about the plugin being the culprit for that one port. I didn't know what "xPL" was -- hadn't crossed my mind that the SqueezeBox's plugins would be making network connections, even though I already used some of them to do that, D'oh! :-)

Incidentally, as I posted elsewhere, I think the BOOTPC/BOOTPS packets (and maybe the SSDP packets, as well) are coming from the Roku SoundBridge that's also on the network. It seems to be interacting with SlimServer (I know some people use an altered version of SlimServer with the SoundBridge - me, I'd like to keep them from interacting, I'll see if I can configure the firewall to block SlimServer from them).

Thanks for the pointers!

- Tim

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-19, 09:41
Incidentally, as I posted elsewhere, I think the BOOTPC/BOOTPS packets (and maybe the SSDP packets, as well) are coming from the Roku SoundBridge that's also on the network. It seems to be interacting with SlimServer (I know some people use an altered version of SlimServer with the SoundBridge - me, I'd like to keep them from interacting, I'll see if I can configure the firewall to block SlimServer from them).

See here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=155942&postcount=2

snarlydwarf
2006-11-19, 10:09
I have also seen UDP Port 68 (BOOTPC - Bootstrap Protocol Client) and Port 1900 (SSDP - Simple Service Discovery Protocol) being blocked, and it seems related to SlimServer/SqueezeBox activity. The BOOTPC connection is coming from UDP Port 67 (BOOTPS - Bootstrap Protocol Server) on my router, but I've only noticed it happening recently when there is Slimserver/SqueezeBox activity.

BOOTPC/BOOTPS are the same ports used by DHCP, which is how (unless you give it static settings) the Squeezebox gets its IP number. Basically a Squeezebox (or any device that you havent assigned a static IP to) will send out a broadcast that says, "Help me, my Mac ID is 00:DE:AD:BE:EF:00, who knows what I should do?" and the DHCP server (usually the router) will respond with "This is your IP, Netmask, gateway, dns server" (and sometimes throws out additional stuff, but thats what matters for a Squeezebox)

The BOOTP protocol is sort of the predecesor to DHCP: DHCP offers a lot more settings than BOOTP did, so it just reused the same ports.