PDA

View Full Version : Scanner.exe does not close after scan - advice, please

Diana
2006-11-18, 11:07
I've been having trouble with scans (both 'new/changed music' and full rescans) - initially manifested as scans causing my browser to hang (IE, Firefox or Opera - not fussy!), and then causing WinXP to crash comprehensively, requiring a 'press & hold the power button' shut down.

Oddly, there were no Event reports in the Event Log.

So I set d_import, d_mysql, d_parse and d_scan. And I ran scans (full and partial) with Taskmanger running.

What I observe is that scanner.exe does its part of the scan and then stops without closing down (indicated by CPU activity dropping to 'idle' levels and staying there indefinitely).

If I then shut down scanner.exe manually with Taskmanager, slim.exe completes its section of the scan successfully. The SS web page does not update by iteslf; but if I click 'Home', or do a hard refresh, the library statistics appear, properly updated.

The debug logs show nothing untoward - they just report the fact that a partial or complete scan has run.

I'm using WinXP on a Dell Dimension 5150, running recent nightly:

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10659 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Any advice / solution to restore proper scanning funcionality would be most welcome, as my Heath-Robinson workaround is a bit of a drag!

gharris999
2006-11-18, 11:46
Have you tried working with a sub-set of your music library? You might try setting up a test folder with some tracks from the "beginning" of your library and then with some tracks from the end and pointing slimserver at that. If scanner.exe doesn't choke on those, well, at least you'll know its not a problem with your audio files or with your tagging.

Diana
2006-11-18, 15:38
Have you tried working with a sub-set of your music library?

Yes, I thought it might be a problem with a faulty file, so I deleted all the playlists, moved the library to a temporary folder, and put it back in sections, testing the rescan each time I replaced another group of files.

I started with a couple of files, and gradually increased the size of the library. The scans worked properly, and scanner.exe closed by itself as it should - even in the final test on the whole restored library. So I thought the problem was fixed.

But then I did some more ripping, and added some new folders and files. This resulted in a return to the old problem described in my initial post.

ceejay
2006-11-19, 01:29
Might you have some plugins causing the problem? There are some which participate in the scanning process and which might mess you up, especailly if you don't have the latest versions. LazySearch or CustomScan spring to mind.

Ceejay

Diana
2006-11-19, 01:48
Might you have some plugins causing the problem? There are some which participate in the scanning process and which might mess you up, especially if you don't have the latest versions. LazySearch or CustomScan spring to mind.Ceejay

Ceejay >>> I don't use CustomScan. I'm using the 61003 version of LazySearch. I did install the more recent version of LS; that was when a first noticed the problem with the scanning, and I blamed Stuart for it!

But much else was also changing at the time - I was re-ripping most of my CD collection to FLAC, for instance; so the files and directory structure were much altered, too. And in any case reverting to the earlier version of LS did not resolve the issue.

Do you think something was changed by updating LS and not put right by rolling it back? I could try updating LS again, if you think that would help.

ceejay
2006-11-19, 02:38
A good diagnostic step would be to uninstall LazySearch and do a clear-and-rescan. Not that I'm pointing the finger, but it would be good to eliminate...

Ceejay

Diana
2006-11-19, 12:47
A good diagnostic step would be to uninstall LazySearch and do a clear-and-rescan. Not that I'm pointing the finger, but it would be good to eliminate...

Ceejay

Tried this. Scanner.exe did not shut down, and I could not shut it down manually with Taskmanager. could not close Windows. A bit of a crash, really!

However, there was some data in the log:

commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
ERROR: DBD::mysql::db commit failed: Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.

ERROR: Backtrace follows:

Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/PerlApp/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 606)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 241)
frame 2: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 233)
frame 3: Slim::Music::Import::setIsScanning (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 152)
frame 4: Slim::Music::Import::launchScan (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Commands.pm line 1947)
frame 5: Slim::Control::Commands::wipecacheCommand (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1483)
frame 6: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 1483)
frame 7: Slim::Control::Request::execute (/PerlApp/Slim/Control/Request.pm line 772)
frame 8: Slim::Control::Request::executeRequest (slimserver.pl line 959)
frame 9: main::checkDataSource (slimserver.pl line 418)
frame 10: main::init (slimserver.pl line 32)
frame 11: PerlSvc::Startup (perlsvc.pl line 1482)
frame 12: PerlSvc::_startup (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 13: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

I can't interpret this. Does it give any clue as to what's going wrong and how to fix it?

Ramage
2006-11-20, 01:19
Yes, I thought it might be a problem with a faulty file, so I deleted all the playlists, moved the library to a temporary folder, and put it back in sections, testing the rescan each time I replaced another group of files.

I started with a couple of files, and gradually increased the size of the library. The scans worked properly, and scanner.exe closed by itself as it should - even in the final test on the whole restored library. So I thought the problem was fixed.

But then I did some more ripping, and added some new folders and files. This resulted in a return to the old problem described in my initial post.

Have you added any playlists since your successful trial - described above? I have noticed that the last thing the scanner does is scan the Playlist folder - could you have a problem playlist?

Diana
2006-11-20, 04:23
No, I don't have any playlists.

I should say that the library is on a network drive. The relevant fields in 'Basic Settings' point to the library and the (empty) playlists folder; and the paths are specified using the actual device name rather than the windows network drive name.

The debug log (above) seems to point to another sort of problem - but I don't know enough to guess what, or how to fix it. Any ideas?

Ramage
2006-11-20, 05:40
Diana

I can't pretend to understand the error log, but you said it worked OK before you ripped the extra tracks. Does it actually scan the complete library, or does it hang before the end? You can check by listing albums to see if they are all in the database.

My instinct would be that you have a problem file/tags - remove your latest additions and do a rescan to try and isolate.

Diana
2006-11-20, 07:31
Ramage >>> Thanks for the suggestions. The peculiar thing is that I can successfully rescan once I've bashed through the initial failure that seems to happen with the first rescan after adding some files. Thereafter, rescanning the unchanged library runs OK, with scanner.exe closing down as it should.

This suggests that the issue is not with the files/tags but with the processing of the database.

I notice that when I do a rescan of the unchanged library, there doesn't appear to be any activity on the part of mysqld.exe. (I guess if the structure is unchanged, the scanner is just looking at database entries without doing anything? So is it the 'doing' - when it's needed - that goes wrong?)

That's why I'm eager to hear from someone who can say what this implies:

commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.
ERROR: DBD::mysql::db commit failed: Commmit ineffective while AutoCommit is on at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 706.

ERROR: Backtrace follows:

Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/PerlApp/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 606)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Schema::txn_do (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 241)
frame 2: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 233)

Ramage
2006-11-20, 07:36
Interesting. What about a clear and rescan? Does that crash?

Diana
2006-11-20, 07:51
I'm sorry wasn't very precise: yes, it was a clear and rescan that I did on the unchanged library, and that worked OK.

It's a real puzzle. I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with mysql, but I know nothing about it and can't guess what's up or how to fix. Thanks very much for your interest, and for taking time to think about this problem.