PDA

View Full Version : Can No Longer Find IP Address

WrightDawg
2006-11-17, 22:54
Have been trying to sign on for a week. The SB3 keeps having me set up wireless networking- after connecting to my wireless network the SB3 moves onto the step of "self-assigning" an IP address. It cannot connect at this point. It asks if I want to assign one myself and when I try and assign the IP Address of the slimserver this doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here? Obviously I am since I can no longer connect.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS router.

Thanks in advance!

davep
2006-11-17, 23:37
Looks like you have been trying to assign the same IP number to the SB3 as is already in use by the SS box. When setting up networking you must assign a different number to the squeezebox so that the two can talk to each other.

It may be that the reason this isn't happening automatically is that you have a firewall which prevents the SB connecting to the DHCP service on the router.

davep

peterbell
2006-11-18, 02:29
Could this be an instance of the SB3 MAC address becoming corrupted? If you've secured your wireless network by allowing only trusted MAC addresses, and the MAC address changes, you would get a failure to connect.

WrightDawg
2006-11-18, 11:04
After the SB3 says it has connected to my wireless network it moves to the stage of "automatically finding my ip address". At this point it cannot connect. It then asks me to self assign an ip address (it has one on the SB3 that I do not recognize) and it gives me the screen to "manually submit an ip address for my slimserver". At this point no matter what IP Address I put into it, the SB3 tries to connect for 15 seconds and then goes dark. I've tried everything I can think of. Does anyone have any ideas of things I can try? The only firewall I have is the windows one, and the proper ports are open.

Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-18, 11:21
What's happened is that it's failed to find your DHCP server.

The address you assign to it manually must be on your local LAN and must be unique. Most LANs by default use the 192.168.1.XXX subnet. Try 192.168.1.10 - that should be outside any DHCP addresses and outside most static IPs as well, unless you have a lot of devices.

Don't concentrate on Windows just yet, you haven't even gotten that far. Look at your router. Are you blocking connections by MAC address? Are you in b-only mode? Is there anything in the router which could be preventing the SB3 from joining?

WrightDawg
2006-11-18, 13:40
Thanks for the comments Mark. As for my router I do think this is the issue, but I'm not familiar enough with networking to figure it out. I"m in mixed mode, with a 64 bit WEP enabled, which wasn't a problem a week ago before this happened. Under access restrictions nothing is blocked.

I tried to PING the SB3 (using the ip address that it has assigned itself 169.254.169.84) and got the following result:

PING 169.254.169.84 ( 169.254.169.84 ) : 56 data bytes
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
--- 169.254.169.84 ping statistics ---
packets transmitted = 5 , packets received = 0 packet loss = 100%

So it seems obvious there is no connection whatsoever and something is blocking it. Maybe I need a different router?

WrightDawg
2006-11-18, 13:48
In addition, when looking at my slimserver software, it recognizes two players. One is my bedroom player (an SB1 that seems to have no issues) and the second is a player I've never heard of (not my living room SB3 player I don't think). It's labeled:

PLAYER INFORMATION

The IP address for this player is: 127.0.0.1:1103

I have no idea what this is? A bug of some sort? My living room player gone bad? Any ideas?

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-18, 13:50
Thanks for the comments Mark. As for my router I do think this is the issue, but I'm not familiar enough with networking to figure it out. I"m in mixed mode, with a 64 bit WEP enabled, which wasn't a problem a week ago before this happened. Under access restrictions nothing is blocked.

I tried to PING the SB3 (using the ip address that it has assigned itself 169.254.169.84) and got the following result:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

So it seems obvious there is no connection whatsoever and something is blocking it. Maybe I need a different router?

No, a 169 address is a fallback address your SB will assign itself when it can't connect to the DHCP server. Your router will correctly block access to it because it's not in its subnet, which is probably 192.168.1.XXX.

Until you can figure out what's going on, try to determine what your LAN subnet is, this should be obvious from your router IP, and assign the SB a static IP in this subnet.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-18, 13:51
In addition, when looking at my slimserver software, it recognizes two players. One is my bedroom player (an SB1 that seems to have no issues) and the second is a player I've never heard of (not my living room SB3 player I don't think). It's labeled:

PLAYER INFORMATION

The IP address for this player is: 127.0.0.1:1103

I have no idea what this is? A bug of some sort? My living room player gone bad? Any ideas?

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address to the machine itself. You were either using SoftSqueeze or a software player on the SlimServer machine, and that's what it is.

astrohip
2006-11-24, 10:50
Wrightdawg... have you resolved this yet? I am having the same problem. I had a working SB for months. Just changed my network to WEP,and now it won't connect. Every other device works fine (I have 8 wireless devices). I have dbl checked the WEP pw, etc. It finds the network, but can't assign a DHCP IP address. It then tries to self assign that strange 169.254... address, then it dies. I have hard-booted-reset twice, and the same thing keeps happening.

It can't be that hard to get WEP working on a SB, can it? Two TiVos, three laptops, a webcam, a PC and a printer all worked perfectly on the first WEP setup/try.

HELP!!!!

georgem
2006-11-24, 12:37

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Unless your router is factory defective, there is no need to change it. For some reason your SB3 can not get an IP address from DHCP running on the router. I would approach the problem in the following way:

- bring SB3 close to the router to eliminate signal strenght issues
- I believe there is a MAC address at the back of SB3. Take note of it, it looks similair to 1b:c3:8c:b8:a4:aa, but diferrent numbers
- enter your router admnistration via browser. If you do not know the ip of your router, do "ipconfig /all" at command prompt of your windows.
- if your windows box is 192.168.1.101, then most likely your router is 192.168.1.1. The part "192.168.1" is your subnet. DHCP server will assing IP addresses for the last chunk, usually from 100 to 255
- in the setup pages of the router there is a DHCP page where you can assign a fixed ip address based on the device mac address. You type in the MAC address of the device and the ip address - let say 192.168.1.10. Keep the ip under a 100, over a 100 is usually reserved for dynamic address
- turn of encryption to eliminate as a factor
- save router setting, reboot SB3

You already mentioned that you do not bloc MAC addresses, so this should work. Also give your network name (SID) that can dinstinguish your network form the neigbours. I have at least 3 "linksys" networks in my hood.

bergek
2006-11-24, 18:47
What is the reason for using WEP? WRT54GS as well as your SB3 both support WPA which is far more secure than WEP. With the data volumes running on your network when streaming music you might as well turn encryption off - it's that easy to break it.

Another question: Does the router web pages state the MAC address of your SB3 device? It should state somewhere which clients are connected. Is there a log somewhere in the web pages that indicates that the DHCP request actually even reaches the router?

IP address assignment by DHCP starts with the client sending a broadcast to the whole local subnet. If your router sees that package, so should your PC. What you could do is thus to run packet monitor (Netmon, Ethereal etc) on your PC and see if you see any packets from the SB3.

astrohip
2006-11-25, 09:18
What is the reason for using WEP? WRT54GS as well as your SB3 both support WPA which is far more secure than WEP.

I have two TiVos, which only use WEP, not WPA. However, they just released an update for my older TiVo (S2 model) that enables WPA! I understand an update for the newer HD TiVo (S3) may only be weeks away. When that happens, I will flip to WPA.

I am still trying various diags to narrow down the problem. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

rew1000
2006-11-25, 21:05
Have you recently updated the router firmware? Not sure what the situation is with the WRT54GS, but the latest version of the firmware for the WRT54G broke DHCP for non-Windows clients. Workarounds were assigning a manual IP address or downgrading the router firmware...

astrohip
2006-11-26, 12:51
Have you recently updated the router firmware? Not sure what the situation is with the WRT54GS, but the latest version of the firmware for the WRT54G broke DHCP for non-Windows clients. Workarounds were assigning a manual IP address or downgrading the router firmware...

Have never updated the router firmware. It has been working trouble free for about two years or so.