PDA

View Full Version : Sony PSP as Remote

gusi
2006-11-17, 09:15
I use the standard remote for my SB. Often it would be nice to have more lines available for browsing.

I looked at the 770 but as it is not supported in Australia and didn't get a great report card in the other thread I decided against it. It is also quite expensive to import and as we can tax deduct one laptop a year here, it would make more sense to get a medium spec laptop. But laptops are quite bulky and remind me of the office so I'd rather not have one in the living room.

That leaves the PSP option. I don't have kids and don't know much about these things other than playing nintendo against a nephew many years ago.

Is the PSP much of an improvement over the standard remote?

Is it possible to test drive it's skin on the PC to get a feel for how big it is?

Can it be easily used for other stuff such as browsing to the TV guide on the web?

SadGamerGeek
2006-11-17, 09:52
I initially thought this was a good idea, but I've gone off it now.

I think the main problem with the PSP (for this use) is the lack of touch screen. You'd either have to use the D-pad/"nub" to navigate around to select each on-screen button, or remember stuff like "button A means Play, B means Pause" etc. Both of these options seem pretty user-unfriendly. Also when I use my PSP to browse anything more than basic web pages, I frequently get "not enough memory" errors.....

gusi
2006-11-17, 10:23
Ok thanks, I'll give it a miss.

I might have to make a coffee table that has a laptop rack in the bottom instead of a magazine shelf.

I suppose it is only a matter of time before the family coffee table has four little shelfs that can store a laptop and charger each. Ikea has probably got them already.

autopilot
2006-11-17, 10:36
I mainly use my IR Harmony 525, as it's always at hand.

But i also sometimes use my PDA and PSP. The PSP makes a surprisingly good remote option, the lack of touch screen is not really that big of a drawback. In fact i prefer it to my PDA as it has a bigger screen and thus less scrolling is needed.

That said, don't buy a PSP just to use it as a remote. But if you have one, or want one for gaming too, then go for it.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-17, 11:12
Someone mentioned the Samsung Q1?

It's the same price as a laptop but it's a touchscreen with no keyboard, so it will be thinner and lighter. It runs Windows XP Tablet, so you can run and install full-fledged programs.

adamslim
2006-11-17, 12:42
But i also sometimes use my PDA and PSP. The PSP makes a surprisingly good remote option, the lack of touch screen is not really that big of a drawback. In fact i prefer it to my PDA as it has a bigger screen and thus less scrolling is needed.

I use my PDA phone, a HTC Universal, which has a 640 x 480 screen. It works fine; the only problem is that it turns the wi-fi off when it powers down, and it takes a few seconds to reconnect (and often tries to switch on the 3G in the process!). There's no scrolling around when I go to the handheld skin included in 6.5.0.

Other 640 x 480 PDAs should be good too. There are fairly cheap ones out there, and you can use them for Sat Nav etc...

A Samsung Q1 would be nice though; 800 for a remote control, four times the cost of the Squeezebox :)

Adam

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-17, 12:57
A Samsung Q1 would be nice though; 800 for a remote control, four times the cost of the Squeezebox :)

LOL! But gusi was talking about getting a "medium spec laptop" so it's an option for him. The drawback of a laptop for him is the bulkiness and "office looks", these are both addressed.

Don't know if you check out the audiophile forum, but some there connect the Squeezebox to their preamp using cables that cost at least as much, and power it with a power supply that costs 3X as much! :-)

autopilot
2006-11-17, 15:43
There's no scrolling around when I go to the handheld skin included in 6.5.0.

Even with album art? I find i scroll a lot more with my HTC Wizard. And yeah, the WiFi can be annoying when i switches off, but there is a hack for that.

gusi
2006-11-17, 23:05
The drawbacks of a laptop are indeed bulkiness which can be solved with a nice coffee table shelf.

Office looks - no real solution.

Boot time, I hadn't thought of this, but waiting 20 sec before you want to change an album could get tedious quickly.

Laptops here are tax deductable so you can get a medium spec laptop for less than 400 ukp. Though none of my interconnects cost more than a laptop most of my hifi components do, so I guess it is all relative.

On a completely different approach would be to use a media server PC as remote. My TV is in the same room as my hifi. I haven't used a media PC before but I imaging that you end up with a wireless keyboard on your lap and big fonts on the TV.

I have an external dtv receiver and only use the vhs to record world cup soccer matches (shown in the middle of the night here) so I haven't been in a rush to get one of these beasts.