PDA

View Full Version : Album library malfunction - 6.5.1

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 01:24
maybe this is something i am doing wrong, BUT...

when i go to look at my albums, they display wrongly imo.

i am talking about viewing artwork, via artist-year-album.

it starts with "1" and goes all the way to MIDWAY thru the "D"s

this is hundreds of albums for me, even tho the bold part of what SS shows for the alphabet navigation only goes 1 to A.

and as i go deeper into the alphabet, it acts worse, not showing artwork or crashing all together.

this is to me, a pretty serious glaring error, (given i'm not doing something stupid).

and i haven't mentioned that all the albums it calls various artists are listed all over my library based on the name of the first artist on the album... why aren't they all listed under V for various?

any light anyone can shed, or if anyone has the same issues, or knows what i'm talking about, please respond.

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 01:26
and i rescan my library daily, and have about 1600 albums, 95% of which have artwork.

aubuti
2006-11-17, 05:30
These are known bugs that cropped up with 6.5.0, and are still to be resolved. See http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3255 and put in your vote (or your patch!).

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 14:02
i have now voted for it, thx. but dan says it won't be fixed in 6.5

does that mean we're SOL until 7.0? will it be fixed in 7.0?

JJZolx
2006-11-17, 21:05
i have now voted for it, thx. but dan says it won't be fixed in 6.5

does that mean we're SOL until 7.0? will it be fixed in 7.0?

You're right, it's a glaring (embarassing, actually) bug. I haven't seen any of the pagebar links actually crash the server, but they do pull up empty pages. The problems make browsing albums by artist all but useless.

The bug is targeted for 6.5.1, but it doesn't really look like it's being worked on. I don't know why, but 6.5.1 in general seems to have run into a brick wall.

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 21:10
well, it crashes my server everytime if i go deep enough into my library... perhaps it depends how many albums u have.

to make it crash, i merely progress along the alphabet, which one has to do to get to later lettered artists.

i only display via artist, year, album... does this bug persist in other views as well?

kdf
2006-11-17, 21:29
any log/event viewer message?

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 21:38
how do i do that? do i need to enable debugging or something?

i really don't know how to access this info, but if told how to do it, i will.

kdf
2006-11-17, 22:00
control panel->administration tools->event viewer

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 22:17
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed.

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 22:18
i am guessing that is the right event, since it mentions perl.

btw, i have an event in here that seems to happen every hour, something called "online defragmentation." i have no idea what it is, but i don't think it should be happening.

kdf
2006-11-17, 22:28
On 17-Nov-06, at 9:17 PM, MrSinatra wrote:
>
> information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed.
>
this specific error is supposedly most likely a problem with flakey
memory.

no doubt others will now post claiming that it's a number of different
things.

I don't run windows, so I know no more than what I've seen elsewhere in
the forums.
-k

MrSinatra
2006-11-17, 22:33
flakey memory?

what leads you to that conclusion? and why would only SS crash, nothing else i use?

i use corsair. its a pretty good brand name, and i have two gigs of it, dual channel.

kdf
2006-11-17, 22:57
On 17-Nov-06, at 9:33 PM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
> flakey memory?
>
yes, that's the reasons I've seen given on the forum.

> what leads you to that conclusion?

I just said so.

> and why would only SS crash,
> nothing else i use?
>
nope. except that I can't reproduce it.
damn slimserver. can't count on it for anything

JJZolx
2006-11-17, 23:37
If you do a SlimServer bugzilla search on the phrase "Perl interpret failed", you'll see that this error comes up every once in a while with certain bugs. Errors in the code generally _shouldn't_ cause the interpreter itself to fail, but they sometimes do.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=Perl+interpreter+failed

Here's one that I remember:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3744

My guess is that once the behavioral problems with the alphapagebar are fixed, the Perl crashes will also go away. Until then, don't use browse albums with a sort on artist.

MrSinatra
2006-11-18, 00:49
On 17-Nov-06, at 9:33 PM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
> flakey memory?
>
yes, that's the reasons I've seen given on the forum.

> what leads you to that conclusion?

I just said so.

ur snideness aside, i was asking for a more detailed reason than the vague "seen it on the forum" answer, as in maybe pointing me to some places you saw it mentioned as jjzolx did.

> and why would only SS crash,
> nothing else i use?
>
nope. except that I can't reproduce it.
damn slimserver. can't count on it for anything

this is the kind of provincial, provochial answer i see all too often around here... blame EVERYTHING else first, dare not suggest its the product! dare not suggest its the code!

blame the router, the isp, the memory, the weather!

look, all kidding aside, just b/c you can't reproduce it, doesn't mean it ISN'T SS. i have a different OS from you, i have a different number of albums than you, different artwork, and maybe the way i click or progress on the alphabet nav is different from you. i probably have a different nightly release from you too. it could be any of these factors, or ones i didn't mention.

besides this, i have had ENDLESS problems with this product, and still do. its always something. i don't want to hear aboout it being free, i don't want to hear my gear getting blamed, i don't want to hear the stock answers of justifying why things are the way they are, b/c they should NOT be this way.

these flaws are BAD. the truth is i CAN'T count on damn SS for anything. very concisely put kdf. what music server product doesn't let someone browse artwork, and worse, CRASH if you do?

but i still like the product... thats why i'm trying to bring this issue to the fore. like other issues, i want to see it rectified, and without any other cause to think so, i think its a cop out to blame "flakey memory" when there is no reason to believe there is anything wrong with my corsair memory.

i think given the fact that there is clearly a problem you can reproduce, with missing artwork and way too many albums and misplaced anchors etc... and since it only crashes when i try to go deeper into the alphabet, it is far, far, FAR more likely to be SS at fault, then the off chance my gear is behaving badly on this one thing, and nothing else.

but hey, thats just my humble opinion.

kdf
2006-11-18, 01:08
On 17-Nov-06, at 11:49 PM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
> kdf;155666 Wrote:
>> On 17-Nov-06, at 9:33 PM, MrSinatra wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> flakey memory?
>>>
>> yes, that's the reasons I've seen given on the forum.
>>
>>> what leads you to that conclusion?
>>
>> I just said so.
>
> ur snideness aside,

no...just all I had to say from memory. In the past, when that message
came up...the response from those who would know best
was that it is almost always something wrong with memory.

sorry you feel otherwise.
>
> this is the kind of provincial, provochial answer i see all too often
> around here... blame EVERYTHING else first, dare not suggest its the
> product! dare not suggest its the code!
>
your error offers nothing, so there is nothing to say.

I'm not going another round with you shooting at those who don't give
you the answers you want to hear.
I'm sorry that your experience has been poor. Mine is not. My
suggestion would be to make yourself happier,
call it a bad experience and just leave it all behind.

-kdf

MrSinatra
2006-11-18, 01:29
look, i'm not shooting those who don't give me answers i don't want to hear...

what i am doing, is saying the SUGGESTED "answers" are often red herrings and are all too often misdirections down rabbit holes that are pro-offered out of a motivation to blame everything but the product.

its not personal, i'm just saying it happens all the time around here. but very often, it IS the product, not the 'answer' someone gives. i just shouldn't have to prove its not all other possibilities first, however improbable, b4 someone takes a look at the product, and i feel like i have to do that all the time.

as to leaving it all behind, i just may. but not to suit you, or anyone else. if i need to make that call, i will, on my time and on my terms. til then, if something is bonkers with this thing, i plan to speak up, regardless of who it annoys.

as to the error itself, it may not be much to go on, but it does point at SS. i don't have perl anywhere else i know of. i realize that doesn't rule out the memory, but given that i very, very rarely have crashes of anything else, and none that i can reproduce as easily as this, or pinpoint like this, i tend to think SS is at fault, and that someone at SD should get on the ball and get this fixed asap, b/c its a huge glaring error and a critical one as well, (ie. in that it crashes).

kdf
2006-11-18, 02:01
On 18-Nov-06, at 12:29 AM, MrSinatra wrote:
>
> its not personal, i'm just saying it happens all the time around here.
> but very often, it IS the product, not the 'answer' someone gives.

The truth of the matter is that "perl interpreter failed" only ever
happens on windows. What do you blame now?
"Software" is not an isolated thing; there are many interactions to
consider and the most obvious have to be ruled out before wasting
a lot of time simply assuming that the usual thing just can't be the
answer this time because a user insists.

So you have name brand memory. Great. Then clearly you now have face
the fact that you might
fall into the other category not covered by "most cases". I haven't
blamed a thing, but you are having a go at someone who MIGHT be willing
to do something about it, were there anything that could be done. With
that kind of error, there is little that can be done directly, no
matter
who grabs the ball. Screaming about it isn't changing a thing except
annoying the crap out of everyone else who can't do anything about it
either.

You have the right idea about speaking up, but you have a few things to
learn about being effective. As has been suggested, simply use the
album sort. Removing the problematic sort options would, after all, be
a fix as it isn't worth having something as a feature if it doesn't
work right. Then again, it clearly isn't crashing in all cases. In
fact, with the proposed patch I am one of the ones seeing page links go
directly to where they should go. If I knew what makes my setup
different, I'd offer more, but I don't. With that, I'm done. I can't
help you anyway, so you aren't really losing out.

-k

MrSinatra
2006-11-18, 03:01
On 18-Nov-06, at 12:29 AM, MrSinatra wrote:
>
> its not personal, i'm just saying it happens all the time around here.
> but very often, it IS the product, not the 'answer' someone gives.

The truth of the matter is that "perl interpreter failed" only ever
happens on windows. What do you blame now?

as i had hoped i made clear, i don't claim to know the answer myself, thats why i'm asking, BUT if i had to guess, i'd blame how the SS code interacts with windows.

just b/c it only happens with windows, doesn't mean that its not the SS code, or do you disagree?

tell me, will the solution to this problem i have come from a change in code to windows, or to SS? i have my guess.

"Software" is not an isolated thing; there are many interactions to consider and the most obvious have to be ruled out before wasting a lot of time simply assuming that the usual thing just can't be the answer this time because a user insists.

i just don't think there is a "usual thing" as it applies to what i'm talking about, or that flakey memory is ever a "usual thing."

one thing about flakey memory is that it doesn't contain itself to just one app, and one function within one app. in fact, if it were flakey memory, chances are it wouldn't happen everytime, meaning that the memory wouldn't "flake out" so predictably each and every time i try the alphabet, (and crash at that point).

So you have name brand memory. Great. Then clearly you now have face the fact that you might fall into the other category not covered by "most cases".

well, if that means that its probably the SS code and not my memory, i'd agree. thats why i'm posting.

I haven't blamed a thing, but you are having a go at someone who MIGHT be willing to do something about it, were there anything that could be done.

god, i don't know how you get this way. i'm not having a go at you, not at all. reread the thread. i was simply trying to get to the bottom of this issue, and a further understanding of your reasoning behind your answers and explanations, and you replied snidely and curtly and after suggesting it was likely flakey memory, (which is a theme around here, ie. blaming AOTSS), and you then sarcastically said:

"nope. except that I can't reproduce it. damn slimserver. can't count on it for anything" to my simple and unassuming question of "what leads you to that conclusion? and why would only SS crash, nothing else i use?"

well excuse me for being irritated by that kind of answer. just b/c you can't reproduce it, doesn't mean its not the code!

With that kind of error, there is little that can be done directly, no matter who grabs the ball. Screaming about it isn't changing a thing except annoying the crap out of everyone else who can't do anything about it either.

awl. tough shit kdf. first of all, i'm not screaming about it, (be more dramatic, please) i was merely posting about it and asking questions, till you decided to make snide remarks and sarcastic answers. secondly, clearly there IS a problem, one that more than likely is the result of bad SS code. i am not doing anything wrong by posting, asking, or, god forgive me, even COMPLAINING about it.

since most people are windows users btw, i would think this would be important for that reason alone.

i am well within REASONABLE actions to do any or all 3 regarding this serious to critical issue. (codewise, i consider crashes critical). let me state here for the record, that if anyone is annoyed by my SIMPLE asking-after the issue, (reread my opening posts in the thread), then they can kiss my ass and go to hell. i don't give a rats ass who is offended by that, b/c they have NO just cause to be offended, annoyed, bothered, or irritated by that.

if i want to bring the issue to the fore, then thats my choice to do so. of course i want the issue to be prominent so it gets attention and gets fixed. but its not like i've gone out of my way to bump the thread just to bump it.

in short, neither you, nor anyone, has any valid reason to have "the crap annoyed out of them." the fact that you do however, just goes to show the invalidity of your POV.

You have the right idea about speaking up, but you have a few things to learn about being effective.

please, reread my post about the elders and the temple. i respect your knowledge kdf, and your contributions, and i appreciate your help when given without sarcasm, but i don't know or care what expectations and sensibilities of yours i've offended, it simply isn't valid b/c i've done nothing that a reasonable person would be offended by.

so stow the condescension and lecture, i'll continue to go thru life my way, and i don't plan on genuflecting just to be heard. i did nothing wrong kdf, i just asked questions. think about that.

As has been suggested, simply use the
album sort. Removing the problematic sort options would, after all, be a fix as it isn't worth having something as a feature if it doesn't work right. Then again, it clearly isn't crashing in all cases. In fact, with the proposed patch I am one of the ones seeing page links go directly to where they should go. If I knew what makes my setup different, I'd offer more, but I don't. With that, I'm done. I can't help you anyway, so you aren't really losing out.

-k

sure thats a good workaround and a good suggestion, for the moment... but album sort is a useless sorting method for the way i, and most people, like to browse music.

any * music server * worth its salt should be able to sort artist - albums w/artwork at the very least, and really, i don't think i need to explain that truism further.

i saw in bugzilla mention of a patch, but it sounds like it won't go into a 6.5.1 nightly. i'd be interested in seeing it in one, since i now have been talked into running this beta stuff, (that maybe fixed one issue for me, while clearly raising another).

and thats why i'm posting about my related crash problem here now. posting, not screaming.