PDA

View Full Version : Transporter broken?

JackOfAll
2006-11-16, 17:23
Just posted the following email to Slim support, but wonder if someone here can help.......

I pre-ordered a Transporter from Ripcaster in the UK which was finally delivered on 02/11. Worked great for a week. Then on 09/11 I went away on vacation leaving it in standby showing the clock screensaver; got back yesterday. I noticed that the display no longer showed the clock screensaver. No matter what I do, unplug power, replug power, replug while holding add button on remote, it will not come back to life. Displays are still dead and it cannot be seen by Slimserver. I have checked the power cable is 'live'; it is. Slimserver can see my three other SB3's which are all working fine. How can I make the Transporter work again?

Clive

ajmitchell
2006-11-17, 08:34
sounds broken to me, I guess you will have to get a warrenty repair or replacement. Is there any problem leaving SB3 or transporter on for long periods I wonder?

radish
2006-11-17, 08:48
sounds broken to me, I guess you will have to get a warrenty repair or replacement. Is there any problem leaving SB3 or transporter on for long periods I wonder?

Mine are powered on 24/7, never any problems. In fact, if I ever have problems, it's when I powercycle them. So I don't think there's a general problem, but obviously there was in this case.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-17, 08:55

It's been talked about before - the only component that "wears" is the display. It grows dimmer with age and will eventually fail. However apparently almost all the SliMP3 displays are still going strong, and when the subject comes up, people usually mention a VCR from the mid-80s whose VFD display is still working (but dim).

In short, by the time the display fails, the device will be long obsolete. That still isn't even the case for most of the SliMP3s.

cliveb
2006-11-17, 09:04
It's been talked about before - the only component that "wears" is the display. It grows dimmer with age and will eventually fail.
Does this happen even if the display is set to 0 (Dark)?

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-17, 09:14
Does this happen even if the display is set to 0 (Dark)?

I think very slightly. Take a look at the display powered but at 0 brightess in a darkened room - you will see glowing red filaments. These are the cathode filaments, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display

http://hem.passagen.se/communication/vfd.html

Those VFDs are kept red-hot as long as power is applied, even when the display is dark. They are very slowly degrading - emitting electrons on a continuous basis. While they're not boiling away like an ice cube in a frypan, over the years it does add up.

May take 20 years (who knows) but they don't last forever.

Dimming the display away from full brightness also avoids burning in the phosphors. Burn-in on the displays used in the Squeezebox and the Transporter is very rare but there was a mention or two on the forums about this. So on idle screensaver mode you'd be wise to set your brightness less than full. Set it to as low as practical.

gharris999
2006-11-17, 09:25
The same thing happened to my Transporter. Here is what the Slimdevices folks had to say when they repaired it:

"Your Transporter is homeward bound. The internal 5V supply had failed and blew the fuse, after they were replaced I left it playing overnight so hopefully the same thing won't reoccur."

I then asked via email if powering the Transporter via a UPS would help as I live in a rural area the the power grid here can be flaky at times. The response:

"At this point it looks to simply be an issue of problematic hardware.. we have had a handful come back with the same problem. We are looking into either stress testing the internal power supply or upgrading it with something more robust. I would be surprised if it happened again, but if it did I think we might want to cross ship a brand new player instead of replacing the power supply again."

Anyway, I certainly can't fault the Slimdevices folks here. Dedication to their product, dedication to their customers, prompt replys...all in all probably the best customer service experience I've had in '06.

And: I definitely missed my Transporter for the week it was back at the factory for re-grooving. My SB2 + DAC1 combo, while nice, can't compete.

etfun2000
2006-11-17, 12:21
The same thing happened to my Transporter. Here is what the Slimdevices folks had to say when they repaired it:

"Your Transporter is homeward bound. The internal 5V supply had failed and blew the fuse, after they were replaced I left it playing overnight so hopefully the same thing won't reoccur."

I then asked via email if powering the Transporter via a UPS would help as I live in a rural area the the power grid here can be flaky at times. The response:

"At this point it looks to simply be an issue of problematic hardware.. we have had a handful come back with the same problem. We are looking into either stress testing the internal power supply or upgrading it with something more robust. I would be surprised if it happened again, but if it did I think we might want to cross ship a brand new player instead of replacing the power supply again."

Anyway, I certainly can't fault the Slimdevices folks here. Dedication to their product, dedication to their customers, prompt replys...all in all probably the best customer service experience I've had in '06.

And: I definitely missed my Transporter for the week it was back at the factory for re-grooving. My SB2 + DAC1 combo, while nice, can't compete.

super.. now i know why i dont have power.. i just resent my transporter 3 days ag.. the issue is that i am living in madrid...and had to resned the TP to US.. so i am probably for at least 10 days without my TP :-(((

sad to see that the testing was not properly done before going to market.. as it appears that already 3 TP have the same power issue...

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-17, 12:26
super.. now i know why i dont have power.. i just resent my transporter 3 days ag.. the issue is that i am living in madrid...and had to resned the TP to US.. so i am probably for at least 10 days without my TP :-(((

sad to see that the testing was not properly done before going to market.. as it appears that already 3 TP have the same power issue...

Support would know more about this, but there's a fuse in the Transporter. Perhaps you can try changing it before you're forced to ship it back?

See http://photos.lam.ws/gallery/1930618/2/98101199/Large on the top left, above and to the left of the blue transformers.

It's a 500 mA fuse.

Don't change it unless support advises you to, a blown fuse means something else may have failed, but it's something to ask about anyway.

claypole
2006-11-17, 12:38
Mine died a few days ago. It was fine then it was dead. No response at all, as per the other posts. I am due to return the unit to Slim Devices shortly, so I will report back then. Support has been great so far, although as it is dead there is little they can actually do until I return it. I have checked the fuse already and that is fine so I guess it must be the power supply going by the responses here. I am having to send it back to the US so I hope it doesn't happen again!

JackOfAll
2006-11-17, 23:05
Well, I received a response from support - send it back. No other info or suggestion that there may be a quality control issue, design fault, or infant mortality problem with the power supply as has been suggested above. I must say I'm a bit miffed at being asked to send it back to the US myself. The whole reason for buying from a UK dealer was to avoid issues with foreign shipping, customs, etc. etc. And I'm even more pissed that I should be paying to ship back a unit to the US, that I purchased in the UK, which only worked for a week; especially if as it might appear that this issue could have been found with adequate burn-in. Quite frankly, I would expect to be cross-shipped a brand new unit ASAP to replace one that failed so quickly and Slim to arrange collection of the faulty unit at their expense. Equipment at this price point should receive a reasonable burn-in period to catch infant mortality problems. Not impressed Slim Devices, really not impressed!

Richie
2006-11-18, 00:23
On 18/11/06, JackOfAll
<JackOfAll.2hgfin1163830201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Well, I received a response from support - send it back. No other info
> or suggestion that there may be a quality control issue, design fault,
> or infant mortality problem with the power supply as has been suggested
> above. I must say I'm a bit miffed at being asked to send it back to the
> US myself. The whole reason for buying from a UK dealer was to avoid
> issues with foreign shipping, customs, etc. etc. And I'm even more
> pissed that I should be paying to ship back a unit to the US, that I
> purchased in the UK, which only worked for a week; especially if as it
> might appear that this issue could have been found with adequate
> burn-in. Quite frankly, I would expect to be cross-shipped a brand new
> unit ASAP to replace one that failed so quickly and Slim to arrange
> collection of the faulty unit at their expense. Equipment at this
> price point should receive a reasonable burn-in period to catch infant
> mortality problems. Not impressed Slim Devices, really not impressed!
>

Have you contacted the UK dealer you purchased it from? If you deal
direct with Slim Devices in the US they may not realise you are in the
UK.

UK consumer legislation makes it quite clear that the company you
purchased the item is responsible for the costs of returning the
faulty product, however, you will have to contact them and return it
to their choice of destination. You can't deal direct with Slim in the
US and assert your rights in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Richard

gharris999
2006-11-18, 11:23
Not impressed Slim Devices, really not impressed!

Well, I understand your frustration with having to ship your transporter back to the US on your own dime (pence? shilling?) And I also understand your desire to see Slimdevices cross-ship a replacement. That might be a reasonable expectation IF they had that kind of inventory, which I don't believe they do.

I, for one, continue to be very impressed by Slimdevices. It's all too easy for companies to hide, weenie-like, behind a sham screen of perfectionism. Slimdevices, on the other hand, seems exemplary to me in quickly owning up to their mistakes, apologizing for them, and then making good on their promises. With the Squeezebox2 (if Iím remembering correctly) there were two design issues that cropped up after the product was introduced. One involved the simultaneous use of the analog rca connectors and the coax spdif connector. The other involved some low-level noise on the headphone jack caused by the wifi adapter. Even with these problems, the products were still operating within the published specs. Slimdevices could have easily hidden behind that fact and stonewalled the customers who ran into those problems. Instead, Sean and his crew kept digging until they found the source of the problems, acknowledged the flaws, made public their findings, and offered to fix any SB2 sent back to them even if they were out of warrantee.

It was that demonstration of integrity on Sean & Co's part that gave me the confidence to place an order for my Transporter on the very day the product was pre-announced. I felt confident that, even though I knew I would be getting a rev 1 product, Slimdevices wouldn't leave me in the lurch if a problem developed.

At the Transporter's price point, we all wish for perfection. But even with appropriate testing and burning in SOMEONE is going to get bitten by a failed component within a week of first plugging in the product. It happened to you and it happened to me too. But it's just statistics, and we'll make ourselves crazy if we take it personally.

So, if I may, I would suggest (after your frustration level abates a bit) that you reflect on Slimdevices track record. As a consumer, my attitude is that Slimdevices is behaving EXACTLY like the kind of company with which I prefer to do business.

JackOfAll
2006-11-19, 06:49
At the Transporter's price point, we all wish for perfection. But even with appropriate testing and burning in SOMEONE is going to get bitten by a failed component within a week of first plugging in the product. It happened to you and it happened to me too. But it's just statistics, and we'll make ourselves crazy if we take it personally.

Sure, someone is going to get unlucky, but it would seem to me that 'problematic hardware' has bitten more than a few of us. There are 3 others with what would appear to be the same problem since you posted the quote that a 'handful' had already been returned. 'We are looking into either stress testing the internal power supply or upgrading it with something more robust.' That comment suggests to me a design fault, poor quality components, and/or that the power supply is operating right on the edge of the envelope. Statistically, the number of people who have seen this issue is growing and it would seem to me that it has already grown past the point of a couple of people being 'unlucky'.

I'm sorry, but having waited for the UK distrib and dealers to receive stock and fill orders, whilst watching others who had not pre-ordered have their order delivered whilst I waited, it only compounds my frustration to receive a unit with a 'faulty' power supply that could/would/should have been avoided if the unit had undergone a decent soak test.

Perhaps Sean would care to comment on the failing power supply issue?

seanadams
2006-11-19, 11:02
Perhaps Sean would care to comment on the failing power supply issue?

What power supply issue? Three people here reported doing RMAs. We view that as three too many, but the conclusions here are bogus. One was a power supply failure, and the other two ASSUMED that they had the same problem because the symptoms were the same.

Actually, "doesn't come on" could be caused by practically anything, and a bad power supply isn't even the most likely diagnosis. In fact there has been no one predominant sort of failure, and you are reading WAY too much into tech support's comment. If we learn of a new failure mode that could be caught with an additional specific test of some sort, then we will investigate it - he was just speculating. We are open with this sort of information, so tempting as it may be, you can mislead yourself very quickly by drawing such broad conclusions from a handful of email anecdotes.

tomjtx
2006-11-19, 12:13
What power supply issue? Three people here reported doing RMAs. We view that as three too many, but the conclusions here are bogus. One was a power supply failure, and the other two ASSUMED that they had the same problem because the symptoms were the same.

Actually, "doesn't come on" could be caused by practically anything, and a bad power supply isn't even the most likely diagnosis. In fact there has been no one predominant sort of failure, and you are reading WAY too much into tech support's comment. If we learn of a new failure mode that could be caught with an additional specific test of some sort, then we will investigate it - he was just speculating. We are open with this sort of information, so tempting as it may be, you can mislead yourself very quickly by drawing such broad conclusions from a handful of email anecdotes.

So I shouldn't sell my TP before the power supply fails? :-)

BTW I love the way the TP works and sounds, zero problems and guests are always blown away by it (I should have been a dealer)

JackOfAll
2006-11-19, 14:44

Sorry, but which comment am I reading way too much into? The quote was, "we have had a handful come back with the same problem", with reference to a failed 5V power supply. Where was the speculation, that sounded like a statement to me? There are at least another two faulty units that have not been received back by you yet. ie. not included in the handful. They may turn out not to have a failed power supply. I think that my problem may be related to a failure in the supply. (Blown fuse and the burnt component smell in the case from the forward PCB).

Anyway, thankyou for responding. I will be returning my Transporter and SB3 pre-order package for a refund. The failure rate is too great in my opinion for a high-end component.

radish
2006-11-20, 05:52
The failure rate is too great in my opinion for a high-end component.

Two questions:

1) What's the failure rate (as a percentage) for the Transporter?
2) What's the "normal" failure rate (as a percentage) for a "high-end component"?

I don't see how you can make the statement you make if you don't know the answers to both of those.

Robin Bowes
2006-11-24, 14:58
JackOfAll wrote:
> Anyway, thankyou for responding. I will be returning my Transporter
> and SB3 pre-order package for a refund.

And replace it with what?

> The failure rate is too great in my opinion for a high-end component.

And what failure rate would that be? A "handful of returns" out of how
many units?

Unfortunately, it's 100% of your unit, but I would recommend you cool
down a little and think twice about returning it.

R.

PS. As I'm catching up on this forum (haven't read for a month or so)
this advice is probably a little late now!

Kahuna
2006-11-27, 16:15
Unfortunately, my Transporter died as well. I sent an e-mail over the holiday weekend (#14519, if support is looking at this)and am waiting to hear about next steps.

The first thing I did (probably on 11/17) was to check these forums for any news on this. At that time, this thread didn't exist and there was no other news. I take that as a sign that these failures are pretty isolated.

I'll let you know what I hear...

Amadeus
2006-11-27, 22:37
My transported died last night. I can't turn it back on. Unfortunate, since my SB3 is a poor substitute.

Lost Viking
2007-01-06, 04:53
My brandnew Transporter also is dead/won't start anymore...

gbruzzo
2007-01-26, 09:37
My transporter died this morning. It was merrily playing along, when it suddenly became unresponsive (a little like when the SB3 loses contact with the network).
It went all dark, and does not respond to any input, be it via remote or via the main panel. It nevertheless does not seem to be completely dead:
When connected to the mains, it will emit a repeated "click" at regular intervals (of about 10 seconds). When connected to the mains and the amplifier (in my case a BOSE lifestyle system) the repeated click manifests itself as a loudish repeated "boom" through the speakers. No idea what happened, seems like it is trying to connect but cannot.

Does anyone have ideas as to what might have happened?

Giacomo

gbruzzo
2007-03-04, 05:55
I waited for three weeks to get my transporter back from the retailer ripcaster.co.uk - Bear in mind it was my original one repaired.
I got it back yesterday, and funnily enough two hours after setting it up again it died again.
The screen suddenly went black and no sign of life.

Is there a quality problem with the Transporter hardware?
I can understand once, but twice is simply not acceptable for a piece of kit costing £1300!

I will let you know more as I learn more.

Giacomo

haunyack
2007-03-04, 07:21
As I have a black TP on order, I would hope that the 3 week backlog may have to do with a revision of the culprit hardware.

I look forward with some trepidation now.

gbruzzo
2007-03-04, 08:08
It would help if someone senior within Slim Devices were to comment about the matter.
Most people here are (I think) patient - they will stick with their order as I will - provided some light is shed on the matter.

Thanks

Giacomo

Robin Bowes
2007-03-04, 08:13
gbruzzo wrote:
> It would help if someone senior within Slim Devices were to comment
> about the matter.
> Most people here are (I think) patient - they will stick with their
> order as I will - provided some light is shed on the matter.

This is not an official Slim Devices support forum.

If you contact Slim Devices directly, I'm sure they'll be more than
happy to comment.

R.

amcluesent
2007-03-04, 09:14
>I got it back yesterday, and funnily enough two hours after setting it up again it died again.<

Harsh. I'd bell Citizens Advice and look at rejecting it as not fit for purpose and getting a refund.

Robin Bowes
2007-03-04, 09:32
amcluesent wrote:
>> I got it back yesterday, and funnily enough two hours after setting it
> up again it died again.<
>
> Harsh. I'd bell Citizens Advice and look at rejecting it as not fit for
> purpose and getting a refund.

Why not contact Slim Devices directly in the first instance? Their
customer service is generally very good.

R.

gbruzzo
2007-03-04, 16:19
Ya, harsh, incredibly irritating.

I will.

This post does not want to be a criticism of ripcaster.co.uk, who were swift in apologizing, offering a refund and taking it back for repairs instead when I asked them to. I just wanted to give that Transporter another chance...

Does anyone know whether there has been any technical revision to the Transporter?

The idea is now to get a refund, and order a new one (I like it THAT much) - On the other hand I would like to get some assurance, that any quality problem, if present, has been/is being dealt with before I order a new one. I would not want to be third time unlucky...

Thanks

Robin Bowes
2007-03-04, 17:02
gbruzzo wrote:
> Ya, harsh, incredibly irritating.
>
> I will.

So, you find me suggesting an approach that will most likely get you a
result to be "harsh" and "irritating"?

Whatever.

R.

haunyack
2007-03-04, 21:16
gbruzzo wrote:
> Ya, harsh, incredibly irritating.
>
> I will.

So, you find me suggesting an approach that will most likely get you a
result to be "harsh" and "irritating"?

Whatever.

R.

I do not think his remarks refer to your "suggestion".
Give him some space, he probably just needs to vent a little.
Relax.

gbruzzo
2007-03-05, 01:30
Robin,

sorry, I misplaced my reply. Indeed the failure of the Transporter is harsh and irritating, not your comments, which were welcome and friendly.

Haunyack I did indeed need to vent. Now I will focus on getting the problem solved. I will let you know how things progress.

Giacomo

gbruzzo
2007-03-05, 02:40
Just been on the phone with the representative of Ripcaster.co.uk
They will ship me a new Transporter today.

Pukka (excellent) service I say

Cross fingers

Giacomo

Robin Bowes
2007-03-05, 03:57
gbruzzo wrote:
> Just been on the phone with the representative of Ripcaster.co.uk
> They will ship me a new Transporter today.
>
> Pukka (excellent) service I say

I've not had any failures, but my experience of Slim Devices support has
been excellent and, while I didn't want to suggest it at the time, I was
pretty sure that they'd send you a new one.

Glad it's sorted.

Now, enjoy the music (when it arrives!)

R.

gbruzzo
2007-03-05, 04:09
I am so looking forward to that!

Eric Carroll
2007-04-02, 22:57
My transporter failed after about four weeks of operation.

SD would not ship me a new one. I had to return the failed unit to the US for repair (at my one way cost to ship transborder even though it was purchased in Canada).

The 5V power supply failed and the fuse blew. The 5V power supply was replaced. This is according to SD tech support.

I didn't get any answer to whether I got the same PS version as before, or a new one.

SD did ship it back to me using the same method I used to send it (expedited in my case), which was nice.

Its the only complaint I have had with it to date.

chinablues
2007-04-03, 08:18
My power supply failed about 6 weeks ago. Problem is I live in China & there appears to be some restriction in shipping electronic goods back from China to the USA. Beats me why this should be the case given that most stuff you buy in the US is from China! Anyway, compromise is that SD will ship a power supply board (which is relatively small & an easy plug in replacement) to a colleage in the US & he will carry to China. Unfortunately, according to SD they are/were out of PS units at the present time. Seems to indicate that this is a weak part in the system? Also, I wonder, browsing this thread whether the 220/240Volt folk have statistically more of a failure rate than the 110V US folks? There seems to be quite a few UK guys reporting failures here.

Dan

amcluesent
2007-04-03, 10:18
>Seems to indicate that this is a weak part in the system?<

This is to give a marketing opportunity to the 'tweakers' to offer cryogenically processed on the dark side of moon PSUs at a very reasonable $1000.

One hand washes the other.

chinablues
2007-04-04, 03:06
Just a few hours after writing the above re power supply, I get email confirmation that the replacement part has now shipped.

Dan