PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver will not load "Browse Albums" or "New Music"

SteveT
2006-11-16, 10:42
Can somebody help. When I try to browse by Album or New Music SS trys to load the left hand pane but finally loads with a blank left hand pane after 10 to 30 seconds.Sometimes if I'm lucky it will load but 90% of the time it will not. Browse by Artist is no problem and loads in a split second.All other parts of SS load with no problem
I have tryed a complete rescan of my library a few times and have emptyed all caches and IE temp folders.
I have also disabled all plugins.
My new PC (Athlon Dual Core 4600 Windows SP2) is fast and has no problems loading other web pages.
I am running a 6.5.1 nightly from a few days ago and IE7 with an SB3. Also tryed stock 6.5.0 which did not help.
I have just completed ripping about 400 albums in FLAC and have defraged the hard drive a few times during this process. Total albums 514.....90% FLAC and 10% MP3.
I have recently removed all embedded album art due to annoying screeching inbetween some tracks and now have my album art as cover.jpg in each album folder.Jpegs no larger than 500x500 but mostly 300x300.
I am stuck.........can somebody please help !

SteveT
2006-11-16, 11:44
Any ideas anybody please.

Dougal
2006-11-16, 12:49
Hi,
Are you using the default skin, there may be issues with IE7 and other skins.
Failing that could you try another browser.
Doug.

SteveT
2006-11-16, 12:57
Hi, Yes I am using the default skin and really do not want to go down the road of using a different browser.

georgem
2006-11-17, 08:15
Hi, Yes I am using the default skin and really do not want to go down the road of using a different browser.
One of the ways to resolve issues is process of elimination. Please, be so kind to people who donate their time and skill for free and do your part and try another browser. It is not diffucult or time consuming to install Firefox. I'm assuming that you are using IE.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

SteveT
2006-11-17, 10:02
One of the ways to resolve issues is process of elimination. Please, be so kind to people who donate their time and skill for free and do your part and try another browser. It is not diffucult or time consuming to install Firefox. I'm assuming that you are using IE.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Hello George,
I am so sorry that you don't think I am being kind by not wanting to install another browser. SlimServer has been working fine with IE7 and should continue working with IE7. If there are issues with IE7 and SS then these need to be addressed and the only way of doing that is by fixing the problem with SS running on IE7 which I intend to use. There are many people out there running SS on IE7 who have no problem. My brother is running SS on IE7 and has no such problem. It seems the problem I have is not common and if it was a compatability issue with IE7 it would be more prevelent.

Anyway I am dealing with Slim Devices Tech Support who are being very helpful. They are not asking me to try anything so drastic like trying a different browser and are starting with a more simple process of elimination i.e plug-ins. They are getting paid to give me their time and skill so I don't feel guilty anymore that I might be wasting peoples time.

Once again I do apologise.

georgem
2006-11-17, 11:49
Hello George,
There are many people out there running SS on IE7 who have no problem. My brother is running SS on IE7 and has no such problem. It seems the problem I have is not common and if it was a compatability issue with IE7 it would be more prevelent.
It looks like you already have determined that IE 7 is not an issue, however one might argue to the method of how you did it. Also, I did not intend to suggest that changing browsers is the solution to your problem, it will only point to an area where the problem can be further broken down and eventually fixed.

And please there is no need to apologize, in retrospect, I was trying too hard to make you positively eliminate IE browser.

Please don't forget to post SD support solution.

SteveT
2006-11-20, 05:29
I tried using Firefox and it did not help.
Sometimes they will load after 20 to 30 seconds and mostly not......only blank left hand pane opens.
Slim Support asked me to do a fresh install of SS and seemed to think something was left behind. I did a fresh install and removed all traces from registry etc. Problem still occurs and I have not heard from Slim Support after the last advise they gave me. (maybe I will hear from them today)
Could it have something to do with the size of my cover.jpg's?
They are mainly 300x300 with some 500x500. I understand that the server should resize the jpg's to 100x100 for browsing by album and that I should not need to add a thumb.jpg (100x100) in addition to my cover.jpg's.
Has anybody experienced issues with not using thumbs and only using cover 300x300 or 500x500.
Can somebody help me please as this is driving me insane.
Thanks,
Steve

SteveT
2006-11-20, 16:18
After days of searching ......finally fixed.
I did two things.
Installed version 6.3.0 on top of 6.5.1 and tried to browse by album art. I could browse at lighting speed. Fantastic. I then reinstalled 6.5.0 and my original problem has gone. I can now browse albums and new music extremely quickly. Heaven.
I also un-installed McAfee virus scanner and tomorrow I will re-install McAfee and see if the problem comes back.