PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer on Neuros OSD?

Nikhil
2006-11-15, 16:45
I've been meaning to ask this for a while - has anyone thought of / tried using the Neuros OSD to run SlimServer?

For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's described by the manufacturer as an "Open Source Linux Embedded Media Center".

http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=DigitalInnovationsCatal og&product%5Fid=6011000&keyword=osd&searchcat=products&cookie%5Ftest=1

My Buffalo Linkstation works OK with Slimserver 6.1 with all bells and whistles disabled , but I am quite wary of upgrading slimserver, and I know it won't have the horsepower to do any real time server side transcoding. This little device, however, with its dual core ARM processor and TI DSP has the ability to encode/decode a variety of MPEG-4 formats and should be able to do FLAC, mp3, etc, etc.

Ideally what I would like is something like a more flexible SlingBox - a device which can do audio/video timeshifting in addition to place shifting (preferably using open source formats and offering a choice of formats) which also runs slimserver.

In a perfect world I am looking for a single device that would be distinct from my PC/mac that could be used to serve all my audio/video media both inside the house and over the internet - in a protected manner. It should directly connect to a antenna/cable source as well as a hard disc (in addition to being able to access other shares on the local network). Also the stream over the internet should be able to dynamically adjust bitrate to provide highest quality for the currently available bandwidth. I know thats asking quite a lot - but I think its do-able, and this device seems like a nice stepping stone towards that end.

Any thoughts?

drdjibi
2008-01-23, 07:43
I know this is an old thread but I just bought a Neuros OSD and was thinking the same thing.

Has anyone tried running the slimserver software on a Neuros OSD?