PDA

View Full Version : Tagging & Rescan Questions

DjTweed
2006-11-15, 10:51
Hello All,
Two questions:

Question #1 - I have just finished cleaning up my tags with Tag&Rename. I creating BOTH ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags for each song. Is there a problem with this? (I've been reading the forums, and some people say only use ID3v2)

Question #2 - Is there a way to clear the SS DB manually without doing a "Clear Library & Rescan All"? With such a large collection of songs, a simple rescan takes over 9 hours. I only do rescans about once a month, and I like to clear the SlimServer DB before hand, so I KNOW there are no duplicates. Currently, I backup my prefs file, and reinstall SS, but this is kind of a pain.

Thanks,
George

My Setup:
80,000+ Mp3 Songs on 500GB
Windows XP Pro
MusicIP 1.7 Installed
SS VERSION INFO
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10511 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-15, 11:32
Question #1 - I have just finished cleaning up my tags with Tag&Rename. I creating BOTH ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags for each song. Is there a problem with this? (I've been reading the forums, and some people say only use ID3v2)

You must make sure that the data is identical in both tag versions. ID3v1 is limited to 30 characters, so there's an automatic deal-breaker right there. Also your tagging program is set up to display one or the other tag, usually not both. Things may look correct to you in the tagger but this may not be the case with the other tag.

I believe SlimServer ignores ID3v1 tags if there is an ID3v2 tag present. However if you get weird album/track title entries that you changed months ago that keep mysteriously reappearing, that would be the first place to look.

Just makes it easier to always use ID3v2 and never have to face that problem. I suppose if you have a very primitive portable player that only reads ID3v1, you could use it, but even WMP on Windows Mobile supports ID3v2 (interestingly not ID3v2.4, but ID3v2.3).

Question #2 - Is there a way to clear the SS DB manually without doing a "Clear Library & Rescan All"? With such a large collection of songs, a simple rescan takes over 9 hours. I only do rescans about once a month, and I like to clear the SlimServer DB before hand, so I KNOW there are no duplicates. Currently, I backup my prefs file, and reinstall SS, but this is kind of a pain.

Don't think so - if you clear the database you must rebuild it.

MelonMonkey
2006-11-15, 11:33
I haven't seen a need for v1 tags since 2001, so I can't imagine they're needed now. Some software used to behave incorrectly when faced with both format tags in a file.

Slimserver seems to support v2.x without an issue, so I'd simply strip the v1.x stuff if I were you.

I've also found that the simple update scan failed to properly update tags, so I've had to do a complete rescan once or twice. I've only got 782 albums though, so it didn't take too long.

JJZolx
2006-11-15, 12:52
Hello All,
Two questions:

This shouldn't cause SlimServer any problems. If both id3v1 and in3v2 tags are found, SlimServer should read only the id3v2 tags, which can contain more information (more types of data, and longer entries for titles and names). The problem that it can cause, though, is that many other programs such as taggers, will do a "merge" of the tags and when you view them in the program's interface, you'll see a combination of both id3v1 and id3v2 tags. You could easily not be able to tell that a piece of data only exists in the id3v1 tag. For instance, if you had a track number only in the id3v1 tag, then SlimServer would not see it and you'd wonder why.

Question #2 - Is there a way to clear the SS DB manually without doing a "Clear Library & Rescan All"?
Not from within SlimServer. If you knew some SQL, it's pretty easy to do from another program.

With such a large collection of songs, a simple rescan takes over 9 hours. I only do rescans about once a month, and I like to clear the SlimServer DB before hand, so I KNOW there are no duplicates.
Not a bad idea. I normally do a clear/rescan, but mine only takes 12 minutes. From what I recall, a "Look for new and changed" type scan takes about the same amount of time.

Currently, I backup my prefs file, and reinstall SS, but this is kind of a pain.
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Why not just use the clear/rescan to accomplish the same thing? The library scan you do shouldn't be any faster by reinstalling the program and starting with a fresh database. I would think that even on very slow hardware the "clear" step of a clear/rescan should take just a few seconds.

DjTweed
2006-11-15, 14:16
I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Why not just use the clear/rescan to accomplish the same thing? The library scan you do shouldn't be any faster by reinstalling the program and starting with a fresh database. I would think that even on very slow hardware the "clear" step of a clear/rescan should take just a few seconds.

Hi Jim,
The problem I have with 'Clear & Re-scan' is that it somestimes doesn't clear everything. Of course, I only find out after the 9 hours is over, and I see duplicates.

It would be nice if Slimserver could separate the Clear and the Re-Scan into separate tasks, that's all. This way I could confirm that there are ZERO songs, before I invest the time in the re-scan.

Thanks for all the help,
George

JJZolx
2006-11-15, 14:32
Hi Jim,
The problem I have with 'Clear & Re-scan' is that it somestimes doesn't clear everything. Of course, I only find out after the 9 hours is over, and I see duplicates.

It would be nice if Slimserver could separate the Clear and the Re-Scan into separate tasks, that's all. This way I could confirm that there are ZERO songs, before I invest the time in the re-scan.
Are you using SlimServer 6.5? A clear really should clear everything in the database. It's a pretty straightforward database task to empty tables of all their contents.

You might try stopping/restarting SlimServer after (or maybe even before a scan). Maybe SlimServer has some data in memory that it doesn't clear.

gerph
2006-11-15, 16:51
Hello All,
Two questions:

Modern versions of SlimServer will only use ID3v2 if it is present, ignoring ID3v1. 6.3 and earlier would, I think, use both.

Why not just do the simple 'look for changed files', rather than a full 'clear and rescan' ?

I'm a little surprised it takes so long to do a full clear and rescan on your system - I don't know what processor you're on but with 34,000 files here it only takes about 2 hours-ish on a 500MHz system, using Linux.