PDA

View Full Version : White noise at beginning of each track? (SSODS/CS-406)

bluewax
2006-11-14, 16:05
Hi all,

I'm running SSODS on a Synology CS-406, with my catalog encoded in FLAC. Specific details on my SSODS and Slimserver versions follow below.

Basically, during the transition between tracks, or when I restart a specific track, there's a discernible second or two of white noise (a hissing or sssshhhhhhhhh) that generally all but goes away when (or as) the music begins. This was never an issue, to my knowledge, up until a week or two ago.

I'm running my SB2 in wireless mode. The SB2 is a Bolder cable modified unit with external power supply and feeds an analog signal into a pair of hybrid monoblock amplifiers. All of my cabling is Supra, and as such (ostensibly) quite immune to EMI and RF noise.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? Additionally, if I would be better served posting in another of the forum tabs, let me know!

Many thank in advance for your consideration, and

Cheers, bw

SSODS release: r1b4-ppc.
Hardware: synology_ppc824x_cs406.
SlimServer version: 6.3.1-8476.
Auto start: enabled.
Database size: 10.8 MB.
SlimServer process: running, PID 2045.
Process state: S (sleeping).
Memory usage: 73556 kb total, 60544 kb resident set size.
SlimServer uptime: 8d 01.05:58
CPU usage: 301:48 total CPU time, 2.6% average CPU load.
System load averages: 0.41 0.37 0.26.

flipflip
2006-11-14, 16:23
Hello

- Does it happen with _each_ (FLAC) track or just with some?

- Do you have "Bitrate Limiting" (under "Player Settings" -> "Audio") enabled? I'm not sure, but maybe the FLACs are converted on-the-fly to mp3 due to bandwith limits (should not be a problem, though). Play a track and go to "Sysinfo" in SSODS. There's a process list which would show a "lame" process running if that is the case. The log file would also show something about that if the right debug flags are enabled.

- Can you test with a cable connections instead of wireless?

regards,
flip

bluewax
2006-11-14, 16:40
Hi flipflip,

Thanks so much for the quick response.

1. It seems to be occuring on every FLAC track. I've created a playlist of tracks that were recently ripped and tracks that were ripped some time ago. Same effect.

2. I don't have Bitrate Limiting enabled.

3. Possibly; I'll have to find a long cable though!

Additionally, I just tried a few tracks that remain at a lower volume for longer than others at the beginning of the music. The static and white noise does decrease somewhat after the initial few seconds, but it nevertheless remains noticeable. When I wrote my first message, this problem was being masked by the volume and complexity of the music being played.

When I hit pause, the problem all but goes away, but if you place your head near the speakers, there is still some noise present.

Very puzzling.

Cheers, bw

Hello

- Does it happen with _each_ (FLAC) track or just with some?

- Do you have "Bitrate Limiting" (under "Player Settings" -> "Audio") enabled? I'm not sure, but maybe the FLACs are converted on-the-fly to mp3 due to bandwith limits (should not be a problem, though). Play a track and go to "Sysinfo" in SSODS. There's a process list which would show a "lame" process running if that is the case. The log file would also show something about that if the right debug flags are enabled.

- Can you test with a cable connections instead of wireless?

regards,
flip

flipflip
2006-11-14, 17:07
Puzzling indeed..

I cannot think of another problem regarding SSODS or Slimserver.

Just a few quick thoughts:

You could try with an mp3.

You could try with a headphone plugged into the Squeezebox.

You could try with a short cable by moving the SB near the CS and use the headphone.

I'd just do some systematic "reserach" to see which part of the "equation" causes the problem. It might be a combination of parts.

Good luck!

flip

bluewax
2006-11-14, 23:11
Sounds good to me. Thanks again!

I'll report back if I learn anything more.

Cheers, bw

Puzzling indeed..

I cannot think of another problem regarding SSODS or Slimserver.

Just a few quick thoughts:

You could try with an mp3.

You could try with a headphone plugged into the Squeezebox.

You could try with a short cable by moving the SB near the CS and use the headphone.

I'd just do some systematic "reserach" to see which part of the "equation" causes the problem. It might be a combination of parts.

Good luck!

flip