PDA

View Full Version : Default Interface Issue in SlimServer 6.5

agbagb
2006-11-14, 14:44
I've jsut upgraded from 6.3.1 to 6.5, running under Mozilla Seamonkey. I use Default Interface.

In 6.5 the NOW PLAYING pane under MUSIC PLAYER on the right frame of the screen has its track info all squished up. It also runs too far to the right in the grey box, and runs past the bottom margin of the box too. It' almost as if the NOW PLAYING pane just isn't big enough and needs stretching downwards.

The CURRENT PLAYLIST panes below are fine.

Didn't happen in 6.3.1. Looks ugly in 6.5: really annoying. I've tried switching between Interfaces (I strongly prefer Default), clearing my cache, refreshing the browser. Still happens with any track info that runs to more than onefull line n total.

Any ideas?

AGB

ceejay
2006-11-14, 16:05
A few possibilities...

First, upgrading to 6.5.0 had a few issues as not all of the old version was cleared out. The safe way to do this is a complete deletion of the old slimserver directory (or rename, more safely) before installing 6.5.

Second, I know you said you've cleared browser cache, but do it again just to be sure.

Third, try a 6.5.1 nightly as there are several useful fixes since the original 6.5.0

HTH
Ceejay

agbagb
2006-11-14, 16:54
Yep - there sure were a few issues in upgrading to 6.5! And I eventually did a total out (auto and manual) of 6.3.1 and a fresh in of 6.5. Plus reinstalling the 6.5 versions of AlienBBC and SoftSqueeze too.....

A few more total cache clearances (using 3 methods....), and I've still got the issue. It looks to me as if the NOW PLAYING box is just set to expect to contain a very short text title - my stuff is mostly classical / opera, and a title runs to about three lines.

I'll try 6.5.1. Can I install that as an upgrade to 6.5, or am I back to square one, clean install from scratch?

AGB

radish
2006-11-14, 16:58
I'm running Firefox with 6.5.0 on XP, and can confirm the same thing. I hadn't noticed before, as I don't have many tracks with such long titles, but on testing it's certainly messes up the Now Playing box. Also happens on on IE6.

Edit: If you want to try 6.5.1 it should be a simple install-over, no need to uninstall.

agbagb
2006-11-14, 17:43
Just upgraded to 6.5.1 - same problem. If no-one comes up with an idea in the next few days, I'll file a bug report.

AGB

kdf
2006-11-14, 17:57
On 14-Nov-06, at 4:43 PM, agbagb wrote:

>
> Just upgraded to 6.5.1 - same problem. If no-one comes up with an idea
> in the next few days, I'll file a bug report.
>
I certainly hope you'll search for this one before you just jump in and
file:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4495

agbagb
2006-11-14, 19:58
Oh, indeed I would have done so. Disappointing to hear the development team already suggest it's the fault of extravagant and wasteful Slimserver users, rather than someting they might like to fix: "Best solution here is to cut the extraordinary long tracklines to something that will fit."

AGB

radish
2006-11-14, 20:17
Oh, indeed I would have done so. Disappointing to hear the development team already suggest it's the fault of extravagant and wasteful Slimserver users, rather than someting they might like to fix: "Best solution here is to cut the extraordinary long tracklines to something that will fit."

AGB

I think they're actually suggesting truncating the text automatically so it fits. As the bug report describes, fixing it "properly" (so the space resizes to fit the text) is very far from trivial.

agbagb
2006-11-14, 20:42
Oh, I see: thanks!

It's interesting that in the CURRENT PLAYLIST panes below the problematic NOW PLAYING window, everything does fit (at least in my set up). So, if Slimserver itself could automatically truncate the contents of NOW PLAYING, you wouldn't really lose any valuable information (as the NOW PLAYING contents are of course repeated in CURRENT PLAYLIST). I kind of thought they were suggesting that *I* edit all my track lists (I have an - over - suspicious mind....). Certainly a convenient software trucation would work. It's one of those things that just *looks* annoyingly ugly, rather than having any real effect.

I'll try loading a copy of SlimServer 6,3.1 onto the laptop tomorrow to see if my memory that this problem wasn't evident in that version is right or wrong (as it so often is.....). I have a sense that the DEFAULT INTERFACE is slightly different between 6.3 and 6.5 - but it's easy to get those comparisons wrong on the fly.

AGB

kdf
2006-11-14, 22:26
On 14-Nov-06, at 7:42 PM, agbagb wrote:

> I have a sense that the
> DEFAULT INTERFACE is slightly different between 6.3 and 6.5 - but it's
> easy to get those comparisons wrong on the fly.
>
it actually looks only marginally different, but it is really a very
large difference in the
way the pages are created.

yes, the playlist section handles many lines. this is because they are
within a frame.
the now playing section runs out of room at the edge of the frame,
which is not simply moved
when it suits the fit. getting rid of the frame is very far from
trivial.

however, patches welcome
-kdf