PDA

View Full Version : Pacman Screensaver



fcm4711
2003-12-14, 12:34
Hi all

Just for fun! Pacman screensaver.

Many thanks to Kevin for the new
screensaver framework and to Phil for
his wonderful snow screensaver.

Please find the pacman screensaver (and
other stuff) here:

http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/development.htm

You will need the latest nightly build
of Slimserver in order to run this screensaver.

Enjoy
Felix

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard
http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

Oscar Marsh
2003-12-15, 15:27
Hi, Felix

> Just for fun! Pacman screensaver.
>
> Many thanks to Kevin for the new
> screensaver framework and to Phil for
> his wonderful snow screensaver.

They're great -- but Snow.pm doesn't quite play nicely with the SLIMP3
volume control during "Now Playing" mode. Using the JVC remote, I can
change the volume but the volume level display doesn't stay on
afterwards like it should -- It just jumps immediately back to the Now
Playing area. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

Oscar Marsh
--
jabber: ojmarsh (AT) jabber (DOT) anywise.com
AIM: oscarjackmarsh

kdf
2003-12-15, 16:35
Quoting Oscar Marsh <jigsaw250 (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:

> Hi, Felix
>
> > Just for fun! Pacman screensaver.
> >
> > Many thanks to Kevin for the new
> > screensaver framework and to Phil for
> > his wonderful snow screensaver.
>
> They're great -- but Snow.pm doesn't quite play nicely with the SLIMP3
> volume control during "Now Playing" mode. Using the JVC remote, I can
> change the volume but the volume level display doesn't stay on
> afterwards like it should -- It just jumps immediately back to the Now
> Playing area. Is there a way to fix this?

This is due to the faster update rate of the snow screensaver. It could be
fixed by leaving it at the default 1s update and you would get the normal brief
volume display. However, the snow looks a bit goofy updating a the same rate as
the clock or the elapsed time. Volume up/down, repeat, and shuffle don't kill
the screensaver mode. This could be changed, however.

-kdf

dean blackketter
2003-12-15, 16:43
Kevin,

The volume, repeat and shuffle displays use the showBriefly animation.
I'd bet we could have that function temporarily disable the screensaver
while displaying...

-dean


On Dec 15, 2003, at 3:35 PM, kdf wrote:

> Quoting Oscar Marsh <jigsaw250 (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:
>
>> Hi, Felix
>>
>>> Just for fun! Pacman screensaver.
>>>
>>> Many thanks to Kevin for the new
>>> screensaver framework and to Phil for
>>> his wonderful snow screensaver.
>>
>> They're great -- but Snow.pm doesn't quite play nicely with the SLIMP3
>> volume control during "Now Playing" mode. Using the JVC remote, I can
>> change the volume but the volume level display doesn't stay on
>> afterwards like it should -- It just jumps immediately back to the Now
>> Playing area. Is there a way to fix this?
>
> This is due to the faster update rate of the snow screensaver. It
> could be
> fixed by leaving it at the default 1s update and you would get the
> normal brief
> volume display. However, the snow looks a bit goofy updating a the
> same rate as
> the clock or the elapsed time. Volume up/down, repeat, and shuffle
> don't kill
> the screensaver mode. This could be changed, however.
>
> -kdf
>

kdf
2003-12-15, 16:54
Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) blackketter (DOT) com>:

> Kevin,
>
> The volume, repeat and shuffle displays use the showBriefly animation.
> I'd bet we could have that function temporarily disable the screensaver
> while displaying...
>
> -dean

yes, it would have to push a new mode and return after in order to cover all
screensaver possibilities. I'm working on it. It sure beats having the mappings
change.

-kdf

> On Dec 15, 2003, at 3:35 PM, kdf wrote:
>
> > Quoting Oscar Marsh <jigsaw250 (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:
> >
> >> Hi, Felix
> >>
> >>> Just for fun! Pacman screensaver.
> >>>
> >>> Many thanks to Kevin for the new
> >>> screensaver framework and to Phil for
> >>> his wonderful snow screensaver.
> >>
> >> They're great -- but Snow.pm doesn't quite play nicely with the SLIMP3
> >> volume control during "Now Playing" mode. Using the JVC remote, I can
> >> change the volume but the volume level display doesn't stay on
> >> afterwards like it should -- It just jumps immediately back to the Now
> >> Playing area. Is there a way to fix this?
> >
> > This is due to the faster update rate of the snow screensaver. It
> > could be
> > fixed by leaving it at the default 1s update and you would get the
> > normal brief
> > volume display. However, the snow looks a bit goofy updating a the
> > same rate as
> > the clock or the elapsed time. Volume up/down, repeat, and shuffle
> > don't kill
> > the screensaver mode. This could be changed, however.
> >
> > -kdf
> >

kdf
2003-12-15, 17:28
Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) blackketter (DOT) com>:

> Kevin,
>
> The volume, repeat and shuffle displays use the showBriefly animation.
> I'd bet we could have that function temporarily disable the screensaver
> while displaying...
>
> -dean

ok, the fix doesn't have to change modes. showBriefly now sets and clears a
client param for noUpdate. $client->update only functions when noUpdate = 0.
This should server to stop screensavers, and just about any other automatic
update for the duration of showBriefly.

if there are no objections to this method, then I can commit this when I am at
my pc in about an hour or so :)

-kdf

dean blackketter
2003-12-15, 18:11
Please post a patch on the developer list...

On Dec 15, 2003, at 4:28 PM, kdf wrote:

> Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) blackketter (DOT) com>:
>
>> Kevin,
>>
>> The volume, repeat and shuffle displays use the showBriefly animation.
>> I'd bet we could have that function temporarily disable the
>> screensaver
>> while displaying...
>>
>> -dean
>
> ok, the fix doesn't have to change modes. showBriefly now sets and
> clears a
> client param for noUpdate. $client->update only functions when
> noUpdate = 0.
> This should server to stop screensavers, and just about any other
> automatic
> update for the duration of showBriefly.
>
> if there are no objections to this method, then I can commit this when
> I am at
> my pc in about an hour or so :)
>
> -kdf
>
>

kdf
2003-12-15, 18:57
ok :)

Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) blackketter (DOT) com>:

> Please post a patch on the developer list...
>
> On Dec 15, 2003, at 4:28 PM, kdf wrote:
>
> > Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) blackketter (DOT) com>:
> >
> >> Kevin,
> >>
> >> The volume, repeat and shuffle displays use the showBriefly animation.
> >> I'd bet we could have that function temporarily disable the
> >> screensaver
> >> while displaying...
> >>
> >> -dean
> >
> > ok, the fix doesn't have to change modes. showBriefly now sets and
> > clears a
> > client param for noUpdate. $client->update only functions when
> > noUpdate = 0.
> > This should server to stop screensavers, and just about any other
> > automatic
> > update for the duration of showBriefly.
> >
> > if there are no objections to this method, then I can commit this when
> > I am at
> > my pc in about an hour or so :)

kdf
2003-12-16, 10:00
I updated this one as well. Need to clear the param in killAnimation just in
case the remote interrrupts the showBriefly sequence.

-kdf

kdf
2003-12-16, 10:08
sorry, forgot to include the safety check in Common.pm for this patch.

-kdf