PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver and Roku Soundbridge

thing-fish
2006-11-13, 09:13
I have an opportunity to pick up a Roku Soundbridge M1000 for cheap. Is anyone here using the SlimServer/Roku combination and if so can you share your experiences, especially how it compares with Softsqueeze/Squeezebox experience? Thanks much!

radish
2006-11-13, 09:39
Please don't post the same message in multiple forums.

thing-fish
2006-11-13, 10:15
Please don't post the same message in multiple forums.

I didn't think I had; I was hoping to target third party plugins specifically in one message and general Roku in another. However, point taken and I'll be more careful in the future.

radish
2006-11-13, 11:12
You're right, I didn't notice they were somewhat different questions - sorry for that. But the general topic (Slimserver & M1000) was similar so they'd probably have been better as a single post. No harm done :)

glem01
2006-11-14, 01:40
Hi,

Yes, I'm using a Squeezebox SB3 and a Roku Soundbridge M1000 on the same WLAN. Both are served by a Synology DS-106x, the first one through SlimServer, the second one through a separate upnp-server, twonkymusic, from Twonkyvision.

Problems? Only if the WLAN gets too week or the load on hte NAS too high because other applications or SS-indexing running on it, but not just for playing music. I also use AlienBBC over SS for listening to some radio stations on the SB3.

It's a pitty that Slimdevices doesn't support native upnp on the SB3 and that Soundbridge dropped it's support for SlimServer. But both hardware boxes are fine so far, serving for different purposes.

Manuel

RF Dude
2006-11-19, 19:43
Does the M1000 access Internet Radio stations directly without support for any server or PC? Is the SB3 or Roku more suitable or friendly for Internet Radio?

In another thread, the debate is raging about the SB3 inability to access or do anything without the help of SS or SN. Lack of independence. Does the Roku have similar "features"?

Thank you for your insight.

RF Dude.

thing-fish
2006-11-19, 19:57
It's a pitty that Slimdevices doesn't support native upnp on the SB3 and that Soundbridge dropped it's support for SlimServer. But both hardware boxes are fine so far, serving for different purposes.

That's the big thing I needed to hear. Compatibility with Slimserver is my #1 criteria. Thanks much.

bpa
2006-11-20, 01:16
Roku only maintains compatibility with slimserver 5.4 anything later depends on users to keep it going and there are fewer users reporting using Slimserver on newer Roku firmware.

Firmware 2.5 has minor display bugs - these were introduced in the last major release - Roku don't seem to be in a hurry to fix them. One Roku user reported that latest Roku firmware 2.7 crashed 6.5.0 but 6.5.1 has fixed this issue. Roku offer NO support for slimserver problems.

AlienBBC needs a patch to slimserver to work with Roku because of incompatibility in the Roku emulation.

RF Dude

Roku can access internet radio by itself and does not requires any other internet host to help out such as Squeezenetwork. Its limitation is that it only has 16 (or 18) preset and about 50 stations chosen by Roku. You need web access to change the presets. To have more than 18 presets you need a PC running something like Twonkyvision. Roku can only play stations using MP3 and some WMA codecs. The ability to support other formats require a PC to transcode with some other software such as Twonkyvision which you have to buy. AFAIK there are no ready solutions (besides slimserver emulation) to provide support for Ogg Vobis, AACplus and RealAudio stations.

DIB
2006-11-21, 12:30
Hi

I currently have a Soundbridge M1001, with Twonky running on a Linkstation and I'm about to purchase a SB3, which unfortunately won't work with Twonky. I want to keep my Soundbridge running so would you recommend removing Twonky and installing Slimserver to serve both media players or keep Twonky and install a separate instance of Slimserver on the Linkstation? I'm concerned about over-loading the Linkstation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks

thorstenhirsch
2007-01-05, 17:36
What's the deal between Roku and SlimDevices? I know, they are competitors, but Roku did neither develop a software on their own, nor did they contribute to the development of SlimServer and now they've got their own protocol, rsp. So what's going on there? Are the companies fighting a war against each other? Will there never be a chance to see rsp support in SlimServer? In the Roku forum I've seen a poll that states, that most of the customers would like to see full SlimServer support instead of the move to Firefly.

notanatheist
2007-01-06, 00:33
What's the deal between Roku and SlimDevices? I know, they are competitors, but Roku did neither develop a software on their own, nor did they contribute to the development of SlimServer and now they've got their own protocol, rsp. So what's going on there? Are the companies fighting a war against each other? Will there never be a chance to see rsp support in SlimServer? In the Roku forum I've seen a poll that states, that most of the customers would like to see full SlimServer support instead of the move to Firefly.

The biggest issue that I have covered before and others have probably covered as well is how slow the Roku devices are with Slimserver as they are emulating SS hardware. I've owned an M1001 and an HD10000. I got rid of the M1001 almost immediately (had to get my Squeezebox first).

Sold the HD10000 on Ebay as I almost never used it. I will admit it was great for viewing photos on my plasma, the weather plugin was admirable (my Wii is better), and video playback was limited. Didn't want a TV as an interface for my music though. Personally I'd never buy another Roku any time soon no matter how affordable they are.

empty99
2007-01-06, 17:08

It's about the only good thing going for it (and maybe it's cute look). Soundwise, the Roku M1001 did not do it for me: It's both hissy and distorted when A/Bing against source CD. I prefer Itune over Slimserver for ease of use though.

thorstenhirsch
2007-01-07, 08:38
Well, I'de like to buy a squeezebox, but these are the prizes in germany:

-squeezebox wireless: 327,-
-roku m1001: 159,- (it's called pinnacle soundbridge here)
-terratec noxon2: 140,-

I've seen a lot of bad reviews of the noxon2, every 2nd customer was complaining about the bad quality and most of them said that they bought a roku device afterwards and were happy with it. But I also found some postings in the roku forum where customers complained about some noises at about 100Hz-800Hz which might be a result of the conversion to 48kHz. It really seems that the most satisfied customers are the one with a squeezebox - but does this justify a price which is twice the others?

empty99
2007-01-07, 09:49
Well, I'de like to buy a squeezebox, but these are the prizes in germany:

-squeezebox wireless: 327,-
-roku m1001: 159,- (it's called pinnacle soundbridge here)
-terratec noxon2: 140,-

I've seen a lot of bad reviews of the noxon2, every 2nd customer was complaining about the bad quality and most of them said that they bought a roku device afterwards and were happy with it. But I also found some postings in the roku forum where customers complained about some noises at about 100Hz-800Hz which might be a result of the conversion to 48kHz. It really seems that the most satisfied customers are the one with a squeezebox - but does this justify a price which is twice the others?

There is a substantial quality difference between Roku M1001 vs SB3: one is distorted, noisy and one is clean audiophile grade component. It's your money and your ears ;^)

autopilot
2007-01-07, 10:17
Amongst other things, Has anyone compared the build quality of the Roku and the SB? The Roku is appalling, i saw one in a Apple store that had fallen apart yet they were still using it!

notanatheist
2007-01-07, 15:37
The Roku M1000/1001 seem to actually be well built. As I've stated though, they are sloooow compared to a Squeezebox. Just remember one thing, you get what you pay for. If you're only willing to spend half the money then get the little kludge for now. If/when oppurtunity presents itself to use a Squeezebox though you'll be wishing you bought one and hoping you can get a good return on your investment by selling the Roku on Ebay.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh about the Roku Soundbridge but I am making a direct comparison by personal experience. I never did get to judge sound quality as I only tested the Soundbrige with some computer speakers but performance wise (speed!!!) the Roku doesn't hold a candle to the Squeezebox.

fred7
2007-01-08, 09:43
I first bought the Roku M1001 because I could get it locally. I was deciding between the Roku and Squeezebox and the Roku seemed to have more options. I returned the Roku for several reasons. It didn't work perfectly with SlimServer (I had decided to use Slimserver because of FLAC support) and since it was wireless B I had a lot of dropouts - also probably due to the fact that the Roku doesn't have native support for FLAC so more data has to be sent which increases dropouts. The lack of WPA security was a deal breaker for me regardless of anything else although I think that they have WPA now. That being said there were a few things that I really liked about the Roku, it has a home key on the remote that was very useful (which I was able to set up for the Squeezebox on my Pronto remote so that didn't matter too much), I liked the low profile of the Roku because it fit in my rack better. Another thing that I like about the Roku is that you can get an optional wall mount which is great for certain areas of the home. I would really like to see a lower profile Squeezebox, perhaps in a format similar to the Transporter but more affordable. It would also be nice to be able to wall mount the Squeezebox for areas like a kitchen. I ended up returning the Roku and buying 6 Squeezeboxes, keeping 3 and giving 3 as gifts (I really liked the $100 off 2 deal and it caused me to go a little crazy buying SB's - I may actually buy more if the deal comes back to give as gifts, I'm a sucker for a discount). Everyone that sees my SB's love them.

NY2006
2007-07-04, 13:05
I recently ordered a Soundbridge M1001... I hope to be able to use both Slimserver and SoundBridge with my Wireless Router...I'm told there are some issues with certian routers but mine seems to be ok according to their support team. I would like to know or be directed to any othe info. about using both Slimserver and SoundBridge M1001 if available as I only found this thread. Anyone know if XM or Sirius might be added to Squezebox Network soon ? Thanks

I first bought the Roku M1001 because I could get it locally. I was deciding between the Roku and Squeezebox and the Roku seemed to have more options. I returned the Roku for several reasons. It didn't work perfectly with SlimServer (I had decided to use Slimserver because of FLAC support) and since it was wireless B I had a lot of dropouts - also probably due to the fact that the Roku doesn't have native support for FLAC so more data has to be sent which increases dropouts. The lack of WPA security was a deal breaker for me regardless of anything else although I think that they have WPA now. That being said there were a few things that I really liked about the Roku, it has a home key on the remote that was very useful (which I was able to set up for the Squeezebox on my Pronto remote so that didn't matter too much), I liked the low profile of the Roku because it fit in my rack better. Another thing that I like about the Roku is that you can get an optional wall mount which is great for certain areas of the home. I would really like to see a lower profile Squeezebox, perhaps in a format similar to the Transporter but more affordable. It would also be nice to be able to wall mount the Squeezebox for areas like a kitchen. I ended up returning the Roku and buying 6 Squeezeboxes, keeping 3 and giving 3 as gifts (I really liked the $100 off 2 deal and it caused me to go a little crazy buying SB's - I may actually buy more if the deal comes back to give as gifts, I'm a sucker for a discount). Everyone that sees my SB's love them.

zetax
2007-07-07, 14:52
Hi. I like a lot Slimserver, so Im using it with my soundbridge, but the problem is that cannot change the text size, so it's unreadeable from certain distance, so, does anyone knows how can I increment the size of the text? or there is a way to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

notanatheist
2007-07-08, 18:24
Hi. I like a lot Slimserver, so Im using it with my soundbridge, but the problem is that cannot change the text size, so it's unreadeable from certain distance, so, does anyone knows how can I increment the size of the text? or there is a way to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

Not to be a troll but try the Roku forums.

Shadowtester
2007-07-09, 05:32
The setting for the Text Size is integrated with the brightness control try playing with the brightness. You will see different size text also as you change the brightness anyways thats the way it works on my M1001.

bpa
2007-07-09, 06:24
Text size and font can be changed from Slimserver web page under Player Settings. However IIRC - there are some problems with the Roku screen emulation of an SB1 and so alternative fonts/sizes may not be v. readable.

outsider
2007-11-23, 08:40

What version of SlimServer and SoundBridge are you running?

I just picked up a M1001 last night, and it won't recognize my slimserver (v6.5.4)

twylie
2007-11-23, 14:10
I've used a SoundBridge M1000 and various SqueezeBox variants in our whole house audio setup. The SB3 handles all the heavy lifting for ripped music and the SoundBridge handles internet radio only. The only thing the SoundBridge does better than the SB3 is how it handles recovery from dropouts on internet radio. If the SB3 drops a station it doesn't always recover and eventually times out, leaving nothing playing. If the Roku drops or loses signal, it will continue to retry until it can play the station again.

bpa
2007-11-23, 14:21
Other user have reported Roku working with 6.5.4.

If you are using wireless your AP must be in mixed mode (b+g) as Roku uses 802.11b.