PDA

View Full Version : Composer tag?

Havoc
2006-11-12, 12:14
Why is there no beter use of the composer tag?

I want to put all my cd's on slimserver, but this is holding me back. You cannot search on the composer tag (or at least not combined with artist since a composer tag equals an artist tag), there is no entry for composers (like there is for artists, albums etc).

For anyone with more than a few cd's of classical music, this makes the system harder to use than it should. And for clasical music, this system makes a lot of sense.

Not being able to "automagicaly" link the different movements of a work together is another issue, but first things first.

ceejay
2006-11-12, 13:03
Hi

you may wish to visit bugzilla and vote for http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2698 and its companion enhancement requests. Don't hold your breath, though, they have been there nearly a year and despite being among the most voted-for bugs there does not seem to be much movement (nothing promised for 7.0, for example).

For linking the parts of a piece together, you might want to review the recommendations at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToClassical - this is quite do-able.

Note that you can use Composer for display purposes quite happily - MusicInfoScr, for example, will make use of it.

Also that erland's excellent plugins (see the plugins forum) do offer some limited CustomBrowse functionality in this area. You can even use his CustomScan plugin to get extra tags in to play - I've just done this with "PERFORMER".

So - its not as good as it could be, but it is manageable.

Ceejay

Nostromo
2006-11-12, 13:04
When it comes to classical, I use the artist tag for the composer. And the performers are in the title of the piece. For example,

Le sacre du printemps (Pierre Boulez- New York Philharmonic)

And, depending on the cases, I put the title either in the song title tag or in the album tag.

Btw, you could probably also use the comment tag.

Havoc
2006-11-12, 13:46
Don't hold your breath, though, they have been there nearly a year and despite being among the most voted-for bugs there does not seem to be much movement

Got that idea as well. And what happened won't help. Maybe if more people asked?

When it comes to classical, I use the artist tag for the composer.

While this might work if you only have a single version of each piece, I do have around 12 versions of some pieces. I do have a lot of organ music you see. And there you can have a single piece by different artists on different organs. And it all is interesting and used information. It would be great if I could search the index and see on what organs artist X played piece Y. So there goes the comment tag as well.

Really, I even wish for a "verzeichnis" tag. Like BWV, KV, WQ etc. And I would not refuse "scale" and "Op" tags either. All usefull if looking for music that would go together.

Problem is I have about 50/50 clasical and other music. So sacrifising the artist for composer isn't an option either as that would introduce as many problems at the other side.

ceejay
2006-11-12, 14:26
So sacrifising the artist for composer isn't an option either as that would introduce as many problems at the other side.

It's not a question of "sacrificing" ARTIST. Artist, IMHO, should be used for the one main piece of information about a piece of music that tells you who its by. For non-classical that's the performer. For classical its the composer.

So don't be shy or purist, set both ARTIST and COMPOSER for classical music, and make use of the CONDUCTOR, BAND and PERFORMER tags as well. For non-classical just let ARTIST be the performer and thats probably all you need.

To keep different versions of the same piece apart, I do put the extra info in the ALBUM tag too (eg "Symphony 1 in C Minor, Op 11 - Karajan - Berlin Phil").

While I quite agree about the need for better search and browse (which is why I wrote the bugs!) I really wouldn't let this current limitation stop you using the system, it really does work very well if you're prepared to put a little effort into the tagging in the first place.

Ceejay

Nostromo
2006-11-12, 16:29
While this might work if you only have a single version of each piece, I do have around 12 versions of some pieces. I do have a lot of organ music you see. And there you can have a single piece by different artists on different organs. And it all is interesting and used information. It would be great if I could search the index and see on what organs artist X played piece Y. So there goes the comment tag as well.

Really, I even wish for a "verzeichnis" tag. Like BWV, KV, WQ etc. And I would not refuse "scale" and "Op" tags either. All usefull if looking for music that would go together.

Problem is I have about 50/50 clasical and other music. So sacrifising the artist for composer isn't an option either as that would introduce as many problems at the other side.

I admit, I don't have that many versions, but my plan is to differentiate them through the title. So I could have...

Le sacre du printemps (Pierre Boulez- New York Philharmonic)

And

Le sacre du printemps (Leonard Bernstein - London Symphony Orchestra)

Well, that's the plan for now. I'm still noodling with tagging...

As for the other kinds of things you want to do, I think you could do it all using the "comment" tag and dynamic playlists or maybe the custom browse plugin.

Listener
2006-11-12, 23:37
Why is there no beter use of the composer tag?

I want to put all my cd's on slimserver, but this is holding me back. You cannot search on the composer tag (or at least not combined with artist since a composer tag equals an artist tag), there is no entry for composers (like there is for artists, albums etc).

For anyone with more than a few cd's of classical music, this makes the system harder to use than it should. And for clasical music, this system makes a lot of sense.

Not being able to "automagicaly" link the different movements of a work together is another issue, but first things first.

You don't have to settle for a system that requires you to force Composer, Work Name, Artist and Movement name into the standard Album, Artist and Track Title tags.

I participated in two extended message threads about tagging for classical music with Ceejay that led to his bugzilla requests for better support of classical music(#2696-2701.) Since Slimserver just didn't have what I needed then, I turned to ripping my CDs and hoped that SS might improve by the time I finished ripping.

I have now ripped and tagged my entire collection of classical and non-classical using the J. River Media Center 11 program. I have the tags I want - Composer, Album, Work name, Artist, Genre, Sub-genre and Version (to separate different remasterings) and a few more. That program has a first-rate UI and has browse, search and sort facilities that really work for classical music. It is easy to keep all movements together and the program provides gapless playback for Flac files. I'm spoiled and I'm not giving anything up. It doesn't provide a solution for playing music in a room separate from you PC but it does provide the interface I need. I recommend that program for ripping, tagging and playing classical music.

There are 3 plugins discussed in this forum's 3rd party plugins section that might help in using Slimserver and Squeezeboxes. Erland's Custom Scan and Browse plugins provide for using more tags in Slimserver. And Craig has announced a plug-in for the J. River player that can feed its audio output to Slimserver. Using the J. River interface to play through a Squeezebox might be a good solution.

Good luck finding a solution rather than settling for a kludge.

Bill