PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the playback buffer time

rbl
2006-11-11, 05:44
Currently it appears that the SB3 buffers something like a minute of music (I use FLAC files). Is it possible to reduce this?

(reason - I am meddling with DRC and equalisers and it would be nice to hear the effects of the changes more quickly. Currently I have to restart the track to hear the changes straight away).

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-11, 13:34
Since the buffer size is fixed at 25 Mb, the higher the bitrate, the lower the amount of play time that can fit in the buffer.

So try playing WAV. I suppose you could even re-encode at 24 bit/48 kHz, but you'd need a program like Audacity to do this, and I'm not sure what it would do to the sound.

There's no point re-encoding to 24/96 because the SB3 will resample to 48 kHz.

SuperQ
2006-11-12, 00:44
Currently it appears that the SB3 buffers something like a minute of music (I use FLAC files). Is it possible to reduce this?

(reason - I am meddling with DRC and equalisers and it would be nice to hear the effects of the changes more quickly. Currently I have to restart the track to hear the changes straight away).

you could stream to the squeezebox with something like VLC.. it's probably more complicated to setup, but you should be able to tinker on the fly better by running your own WAV/FLAC streaming server.