PDA

View Full Version : Non-standard cue sheet format

kbelinski
2006-11-10, 21:12
Slimserver supports non-standard (or is it extended?) cue sheet format. For example (see below), the lines containing GENRE and YEAR are non-standard cue sheet format. Slimserver would parse the lines without any problem and filled the GENRE and YEAR field into the database accordingly.

However, this same non-standard cue sheet format is offensive to some other media players such as the popular foobar2000. foobar200 just refuse to parse them and will flag them as error.

Is there any plan to include the support of these extended tags embedded in REM statements within the cue sheet? Eg. REM GENRE Pop. This will at least allow foobar2000 to recognize the cue sheet and be able play it.

===
PERFORMER "Carol Kidd"
TITLE "All My Tomorrows"
GENRE "Vocal"
YEAR "1985"
FILE "CDImage.flac" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Don't Worry About Me"
PERFORMER "Carol Kidd"
===

Greg Erskine
2006-11-11, 04:07
hi kbelinski

I use CUE sheets generated by EAC. See example below.

REM GENRE Rock
REM DATE 1975
REM DISCID 9B08FE0C
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.95b4"
PERFORMER "America"
TITLE "America's Greatest Hits - History"
FILE "America's Greatest Hits - History.wav" WAVE

Looking at the code, REM YEAR should also work (not tested) and also GENRE can be multiple words if quoted.

BTW: I believe this only works for 6.5.1

regards

Manelus
2006-11-11, 09:45
I use 6.5.1 and does not read the cues I generate with EAC (single file output).
In fact Slimserver fails to read most cues.
How to handle it ?
foobar reads 99% of cues
slimserver reads 30%
Please help

Greg Erskine
2006-11-11, 14:23
hi Manelus,

I use the following command in EAC.

Action -> Copy Image & Create Cue Sheet -> Uncompressed.

When asked for file locations I point to H:\CD\"artist"\"album"\ where a .wav, .cue and .log file is created. I then place a cover.jpg in the same directory and the process is over. So I have 4 files per directory. The log file is not required but it does have some information on the ripping process. This usually takes me 4 to 8 minutes per CD and has worked 234 times. 100% accurate.

The GENRE and DATE tags have been working well since 6.5.1

I haven't complicated the process by converting to FLAC or using iTunes etc. I do it one way and it always works. Occassionally the freebd information is incorrect and I have to rename the .wav or .cue file or directory afterwards, then I need to edit the .cue file accordingly.

I have only one minor issue, the scanner generates an artist called "CD" that has an album named "the artist name of the first album" (sorted aphabetically). This album contains no tracks.

regards

TimothyB
2006-11-12, 00:31
I've been using FLAC images and cues since 6.2.2(?). I take the cues generated by EAC, and update them using a Ruby script. I validate the fields against my local CDDB, make sure the REM GENRE is quoted, add the REM YEAR (also quoted), and delete ISRC lines with odd characters (to make FLAC happy).

I group my albums alphabetically by artist, for example, all albums by Kim Robertson go in my D:\music\R\ folder.

Here's a typical example (note that the album is in both the "Celtic" and the "Harp" genres):

REM GENRE "Celtic;Harp"
REM DATE 1983
REM YEAR "1983"
REM DISCID cd0a1a10
PERFORMER "Kim Robertson"
TITLE "Wind Shadows"
FILE "Kim Robertson - Wind Shadows.flac" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Lauda"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Morgan Meghan"
INDEX 00 02:29:50
INDEX 01 02:39:25
[...]
Now what I need to do is modify SlimServer to accept REM ARTISTSORT, REM ALBUMSORT, and REM ALBUMREPLAYGAIN in the cue.

-- T

Greg Erskine
2006-11-12, 02:01
I've been using FLAC images and cues since 6.2.2(?). I take the cues generated by EAC, and update them using a Ruby script. I validate the fields against my local CDDB, make sure the REM GENRE is quoted, add the REM YEAR (also quoted), and delete ISRC lines with odd characters (to make FLAC happy).

Hi TimothyB,

Since 6.5.1 you don't need to modify GENRE or add REM YEAR (instead of REM DATE) anymore. Quotes are optional and only needed if GENRE is more than one word. I logged a bug fix on this and it was promptly fixed. - http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4077.

I hope it saves you work in the future.

regards