PDA

View Full Version : Would Squeezebox work for me?

ech3
2006-11-10, 12:54
Here's my situation...

I have about 2000 CDs extracted to .flac files. Each CD is one large .flac with a .cue sheet for the artist/song info. The .flac file is untagged. Each album is in its own subdirectory. This works great when I play it with Foobar 2000.

Can Squeezebox play the file using the .cue sheet and still have direct access to individual songs? In other words, can I skip to a different song with the remote?

From what I've read so far, it looks like Squeezebox can play .flac files natively without transcoding. Right?

All this music is stored on 4 250G external hard drives. Unfortunately, I don't have enough outlets or firewire ports on my computer, so I can have only 1 of these drives plugged in at a time. (Yeah, it's a pain. I'm looking forward to the first 1 TB drives).

Will this cause problems with the Slimserver software?

That's the bulk of my music collection but I have a few other sources. I have paid subscriptions to Hearts of Space and Echoes. These are streaming music services. Hearts of Space uses Windows Media, Echoes uses Real Audio. I have to sign in with a userid and password. Will I be able to stream these to the Squeezebox?

I also have XM Radio. They have online streaming as well, but I don't know what the format is.

I don't use iPod/iTunes so that isn't an issue.

My platform is Windows XP Pro and I'm considering the wireless version of Squeezebox, but in my current apartment I could probably run an ethernet cable directly to my stereo. I have a D-Link wireless router.

I'd appreciate any answers.

Thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-10, 13:15
Can Squeezebox play the file using the .cue sheet and still have direct access to individual songs? In other words, can I skip to a different song with the remote?

I'll let someone else tackle that one. I don't use cue sheets.

From what I've read so far, it looks like Squeezebox can play .flac files natively without transcoding. Right?

Yes.

All this music is stored on 4 250G external hard drives. Unfortunately, I don't have enough outlets or firewire ports on my computer, so I can have only 1 of these drives plugged in at a time. (Yeah, it's a pain. I'm looking forward to the first 1 TB drives).

Will this cause problems with the Slimserver software?

Definitely. It needs to see your entire music selection. If it doesn't, it'll only see a subset, and you'll have to rescan when you change the drive.

Options:

- get a USB hub. I'm not sure if these work OK with drives though.

- get a large computer case and put all 4 discs in. Move your current motherboard there as well as your OS drive, optical drives, etc. You may need a card with extra drive connectors. A RAID card can do this in JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Discs) configuration but you can't use RAID in this case, assuming all 4 drives are full. Better investigate backups though, what happens when one of the drives dies?

That's the bulk of my music collection but I have a few other sources. I have paid subscriptions to Hearts of Space and Echoes. These are streaming music services. Hearts of Space uses Windows Media, Echoes uses Real Audio. I have to sign in with a userid and password. Will I be able to stream these to the Squeezebox?

No, you can't use arbitrary secure music sources. You can use Rhapsody, Live365 or Pandora.

I also have XM Radio. They have online streaming as well, but I don't know what the format is.

I believe there is an XM plugin for the Squeezebox. Search on the forums.

My platform is Windows XP Pro and I'm considering the wireless version of Squeezebox, but in my current apartment I could probably run an ethernet cable directly to my stereo. I have a D-Link wireless router.

Should work fine - the wireless version can work wired too as it has a port, and it has a higher resale value as well.

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-11-10, 13:15
>it looks like Squeezebox can play .flac files natively without
>transcoding. Right?

Right. I'm afraid I can't confirm/deny the others as my setup is different.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

kdf
2006-11-10, 13:19
Quoting "Kevin O. Lepard" <kolepard002 (AT) charter (DOT) net>:

>> it looks like Squeezebox can play .flac files natively without
>> transcoding. Right?
>
> Right. I'm afraid I can't confirm/deny the others as my setup is different.

Individual Flac files, yes. Whole album with CUE still needs to be
broken up via transcoding Flac->Flac, unfortunately.

-kdf

ech3
2006-11-10, 15:18
- get a large computer case and put all 4 discs in.

Yes. I'll be building a new machine eventually. I hope to have all drives internal.

The other possibility is making .ogg files from everything. It's a big task and it isn't lossless, but those would easily fit on a single drive.

ech3
2006-11-10, 15:24
Individual Flac files, yes. Whole album with CUE still needs to be
broken up via transcoding Flac->Flac, unfortunately.
-kdf

Ouch! Does Slimserver do that on the fly? Is there an option to shut that off? In other words, play the entire .flac as is from the beginning and giving up access to individual tracks?

Although decoding/encoding is pretty fast, so it shouldn't be a problem.

kdf
2006-11-10, 15:32
Quoting ech3 <ech3.2h2vbn1163197501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf;153925 Wrote:
>>
>> Individual Flac files, yes. Whole album with CUE still needs to be
>> broken up via transcoding Flac->Flac, unfortunately.
>> -kdf
>
> Ouch! Does Slimserver do that on the fly? Is there an option to shut
> that off? In other words, play the entire .flac as is from the
> beginning and giving up access to individual tracks?
>
> Although decoding/encoding is pretty fast, so it shouldn't be a
> problem.

For the most part, it's seemless. There are some issues with all the
varying CUE sheet "formats" where some just won't fit in correctly for
all of the metadata, browsing searching, etc. Individual FLAC files,
fully tagged would be the ideal.

You can shut any transcoding option off from the server settings->file
types. You can even force transcoding by disabling native playback if
you feel so inclined.

As you figured, flac decoding is fairly lightweight. Any non-NAS pc
should be up to the task.

-kdf

davep
2006-11-10, 17:39
Here's my situation...

If your disks are Firewire as your post suggests then do they have both in and out firewire sockets on them? I have a couple of Firewire HDs (Maxtor) which have two connectors allowing daisy-chaining. Theoretically at least you could have all 4 drives running off of one PC fw socket. You'd have to put folder links in the directories also so that SS can see all of the contents.

davep

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-11-11, 09:29
>If your disks are Firewire as your post suggests then do they have both
>in and out firewire sockets on them? I have a couple of Firewire HDs
>(Maxtor) which have two connectors allowing daisy-chaining.

Or you could get a firewire hub. You can get a hub for <$50, which
isn't bad and would let you have your disks all online at once.

If I were doing that, I'd want the drives to have their own power
supply (as opposed to being bus powered) and hook them up with
power-isolated firewire cables. I've personally never had problems
with bus-powered firewire devices, but I've certainly read of quite a
few people who have.

Alternatively attaching them all directly to a powered hub would be a
decent second choice.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

thaumaturge
2006-11-12, 15:59
Were I you, I would check out Sondigo's Sirocco product. As a wireless audio bridge, it is not an apples-apples comparison to the SB3, but could fit your situation better as you can use any player you like and avoid all the issues you'll face using SlimServer with your library in its current state.

...It's also half the cost!!

Had this product been available when I bought my SB, I would have made a different choice.