PDA

View Full Version : Qnap ts-101 + E-SATA

vamprecords
2006-11-09, 12:46
I just hooked up an E-sata disk to my Qnap ts-101, is it also possible to use it with slimserver as an extra disk?

Martijn

Seineseeker
2006-11-09, 12:53
I just hooked up an E-sata disk to my Qnap ts-101, is it also possible to use it with slimserver as an extra disk?

Martijn

According to this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29295

Such a feat would be possible from last Monday!

vamprecords
2006-11-09, 13:13
Yeah, i noticed but is it an software update or a new firmware? there is no update on the Prog AV site...

Martijn

Paul_B
2006-11-09, 13:30
I am also waiting for this facility. I was hoping to hear something on Monday. I really want a QNAP slave to partner my main unit and run Q-RAID

ultra238a
2006-11-15, 14:54
Right ok sorry about the delay, the update is now on the updates page.

http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update

Download to updates and reboot - the usual.

If the TS-101 detects an external drive and creates a link between the two.

We have tested with a USB device but no external sATA box so I would welcome any results using from people using one.

Seineseeker
2006-11-16, 06:00
Just to clarify for the ignorant like me. If I attach an external HDD to my TS-101 either via e-SATA or via USB Slimserver will find it, and will also find any music on it.

So Slimserver is then able to find music in two locations, or would it only look at the external drive?

vamprecords
2006-11-16, 15:16
I installed the update, and you need to reboot again after the install... Then it all worked for me. There is a link External_Drives, just browse to the link and there you go! (I attached an E-sata disk)

@paul: how about the self install version of slimserver?...

Hope to hear soon..

Martijn

sbooth1878
2006-12-28, 08:59
Right ok sorry about the delay, the update is now on the updates page.

http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update

Download to updates and reboot - the usual.

If the TS-101 detects an external drive and creates a link between the two.

We have tested with a USB device but no external sATA box so I would welcome any results using from people using one.

I'm writing this post in hope more than anything else! When you apply the patch and hook up a USB drive can Slimserver detect music on the added drive?

vamprecords
2006-12-28, 11:48
I'm writing this post in hope more than anything else! When you apply the patch and hook up a USB drive can Slimserver detect music on the added drive?

Yes it can.. you see a link appear on the slimserver called "external drives" and can be scanned by slimserver.

I tested it with a E-sata and USB.. and works fine.

jnicolson
2006-12-29, 04:45
Yes it can.. you see a link appear on the slimserver called "external drives" and can be scanned by slimserver.

I tested it with a E-sata and USB.. and works fine.

I couldn't get this to work at all. Was the "external drives" link in the music folder? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate on how you got it to work.
regards

sbooth1878
2006-12-29, 08:19
Thanks vamprecords. Worked a treat.

jnicolson. All i did was install the USB autodetector. Rebooted the QNAP, turned on the USB drive, rebooted the QNAP and the the external_drives folder appeared in the music directory on the QNAP. I then dumped some music on the new drive, rescanned and all was found by Slimserver.

jnicolson
2006-12-30, 04:11
Thanks vamprecords. Worked a treat.

jnicolson. All i did was install the USB autodetector. Rebooted the QNAP, turned on the USB drive, rebooted the QNAP and the the external_drives folder appeared in the music directory on the QNAP. I then dumped some music on the new drive, rescanned and all was found by Slimserver.

Hi Thanks for passing on your experience. I've been doing exactly what you did all along but, in my case, with no success. I appreciate the info, however since at least it confirms I am doing the right things. One other thing I would be interested to know is whether your usb drive was formatted by the TS101 as a share drive or whether it was formatted elsewhere and only introduced to the TS101 after installing the automount patch and rebooting. regards
Jim

jnicolson
2006-12-31, 04:20
Hi - Have eventually got this to work by upgrading from Slimserver 6.2.2 to 6.3.1 on TS101 - just in case anybody else experiences the same problem.