PDA

View Full Version : SB3 - Wireless Connectivity Issues

tjw
2006-11-09, 12:20
Background: I am connecting a second computer (desk station) to my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) that will act as a music server – pseudo NAS without the reliability.

I have slimserver 2.2 installed (had issues with 6.5 so went backward a bit) to my primary computer (desk station) and a subset of music scanned into the library. My squeezebox successfully connects to this computer without a glitch. I have 64 bit encryption enabled and provide the WEP key when initiating a connection from the squeezebox.

Similarly, I have installed slimserver 2.2 on my music server and scanned in my entire music library. I can reach slimserver easily from the music server via http://localhost :9000. I have 64 bit encryption enabled and provide the WEP key when initiating a connection to the music server. The music server is connected to port 3 on the router and I am using the WEP key specific to port 3. When initiating a connection, the squeezebox counts down, times out and shuts down.

Set up: My music server operating system is XP Home Edition. The operating system of my primary desk station is XP Media Center. I have done some research on firewalls and the directions provided are not specific to the path that I have exposed to me via XP Home Edition. The research directs me to Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Exceptions. I have navigated to the systems tools for firewall on my operating system and it says that it is disabled. There doesn’t appear to be and exceptions option – which I would prefer. I highlight this point because I may have made a big misstep and want to disclose as one possible problem area. I have no idea how to further troubleshoot the problem with my current education level. This is a call out to those wiser in the ways of the world.

In writing this post, I realized that I have not tried to connect to the music server from my primary desk station via http:// IP address:9000. If this would help in the troubleshooting department, I would be happy to provide the results.

That is enough babbling. Any advice or suggestions on next steps would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

radish
2006-11-09, 13:54
Firstly, do you really mean slimserver 2.2 or actually 6.2? If you've managed to make something as old as 2.2 work with an SB3 I'm impressed :)

The music server is connected to port 3 on the router and I am using the WEP key specific to port 3. When initiating a connection, the squeezebox counts down, times out and shuts down.

This bit sounds wrong. There's no relationship between WEP keys and physical ports on the router as WEP is (obviously) only used for the wireless segment. Some routers do have 4 spaces for keys, I've never understood why and it's entirely pointless. Just put one key in and leave the rest blank. There should be an option to tell it which key to use, just set that to 1. Then, obviously, set the same key in all your wireless devices.

If you want to confirm that your problem is WEP related (and it sounds to me like it is) then just disable it entirely while testing and confirm that everything works.

It's also worth pointing out that switching to WPA would be a very good idea, it's more secure and (in my experience) more reliable.

shabbs
2006-11-09, 14:07
Some routers do have 4 spaces for keys, I've never understood why and it's entirely pointless.
WEP key rotation.

radish
2006-11-09, 15:09
WEP key rotation.

Sure, that's what it's supposed to be for. But the likleyhood of it working with an off-brand client is approaching nil, and it will increase the crack time from 1 minute to maybe 4. Hence pointless :)

tjw
2006-11-09, 15:59
Thanks for the quick replies. Apologies, it is 6.2.2.

I will disable encyrption and try it this evening.

If I have slimserver running on two different desk stations, how does squeezebox know which one I want it to connect to? I ignorantly thought that is what the WEP key was all about.

Thanks for the education Radish.

ceejay
2006-11-09, 16:16
If your SB sees more than one slimserver on the network, you will get a choice at config time as to which one you want to connect to.

WEP is about the wireless connection between your SB and WAP/Router, nothing to do with what the SB gets up to once its connected to the network.

Ceejay

tjw
2006-11-09, 21:32
an update . . .

I disabled encryption and initiated a connection and it timed out.

I enabled encryption again and entered WEP key #1 and it connected to my primary desk station that contains only a subset of my music.

For whatever reason, Squeezebox will not recognize my music server (plugged into port 3). I even shut down my primary desk station and tried to connect to my music server that was still plugged into the router. I could not get squeezebox to wake up.

Do I need to do anything at the router level to specifically identify the music server? I noticed that when I was able to connect to the primary desk station above that the name I gave the computer (BaseStation)appeared on the squeezebox.

I know I am probably reaching here.

azinck3
2006-11-09, 23:15
an update . . .

I disabled encryption and initiated a connection and it timed out.

I enabled encryption again and entered WEP key #1 and it connected to my primary desk station that contains only a subset of my music.

For whatever reason, Squeezebox will not recognize my music server (plugged into port 3). I even shut down my primary desk station and tried to connect to my music server that was still plugged into the router. I could not get squeezebox to wake up.

Do I need to do anything at the router level to specifically identify the music server? I noticed that when I was able to connect to the primary desk station above that the name I gave the computer (BaseStation)appeared on the squeezebox.

I know I am probably reaching here.

Let me try to reconstruct my understanding of what you're seeing:

So you're resetting the squeezebox by pressing and holding the power button for ~5-10 seconds. Then you go through the wireless connection selections, connect to the network, and get an ip address. Then you said you were able to see the name of the new computer during the SB setup procedure, is that right? I'm assuming you chose this option. Then are you saying the squeezebox just went blank? At this point did you try pressing the brightness button?

The problem is almost certainly not in your router/switch configuration. You wouldn't be able to connect to your primary desktop with the SB if there were a network configuration issue.

Let us know how it's going.

tjw
2006-11-10, 09:51
Sorry for any confusion that I may have caused in my last posting.

Test #1: Tried to connect to the music server pc (port 3) with encryption disabled. The squeezebox timed out. I had to do a hard reset (hold power button down) for it to come back to life.

Test #2: I tried to connect to the primary pc (port 1) with encryption enabled and it worked just fine. I wanted to test this again to see if I could still connect to it (or determine if I had done something irretrievably wrong. In establishing the connection, I saw the name BaseStation appear on the Squeezebox. A name that I had not seen for quite awhile (i think i established the name when i first installed the router) because I had no need to previously reset the Squeezebox. I did make this selection but it was the only option because it is the only PC being recognized by Squeezebox.

So to answer your (Asinck3) question, I was able to see the name of my primary computer (BaseStation) not the new computer. Which leads me to a humbling next question . . . Do I need to run the Linksys router set-up CD on the second PC and establish a name (MusicServer) so that the network can recognize the second PC?

I may have incorrectly assumed that I could just plug in my second PC into one of the router ports, reboot the PC and have it available on my network and reachable via a WEP key.

Lastly, while I continue to troubleshoot the wireless world, can you let me know how I change the static IP address of the Slimserver so that I can get me computer to recognize it in a wired world. I believe it is under server settings but not sure where to go from there.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-10, 12:27
Test #1: Tried to connect to the music server pc (port 3) with encryption disabled. The squeezebox timed out. I had to do a hard reset (hold power button down) for it to come back to life.

When the Squeezebox times out trying to connect to a router, it's because the SSID isn't set right or the encryption credentials aren't correct. Since you indicate that you had encryption disabled, there are two possibilities:

1. SSID isn't right. Are you using the same SSID your neighbor is using, perhaps? Try something unique so you can be sure it's yours.

2. You made a mistake and don't have encryption disabled.

Do I need to run the Linksys router set-up CD on the second PC and establish a name (MusicServer) so that the network can recognize the second PC?

No. The name of your second PC can be set in Start - Settings - Control Panel - System - Computer Name tab.

You don't have to change the name (SSID) of the router, it's the same when you try to connect to both computers, since it's going through the same router first.

I may have incorrectly assumed that I could just plug in my second PC into one of the router ports, reboot the PC and have it available on my network and reachable via a WEP key.

That should work just fine.

Check your firewall again on your new PC. You sure it isn't blocking SlimServer?

Lastly, while I continue to troubleshoot the wireless world, can you let me know how I change the static IP address of the Slimserver so that I can get me computer to recognize it in a wired world. I believe it is under server settings but not sure where to go from there.

A wireless router will automatically connect wired and wireless clients. You have to dig pretty deep to disable it, and not all router firmware will let you - it's called AP isolation. If you do find it, don't enable it. :-)

To change the IP address of a PC, go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network Connections - Local Area Connection - Properties - [scroll down] Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties - Use the following IP address. Make sure you put your gateway in the gateway field or you will lose Internet access. The gateway is usually the IP address of your router.

It sounds like you might be having problems with an IP address conflict. Changing to a static IP arrangement will certainly address this.

azinck3
2006-11-10, 16:34
Phew...you seem to be quite confused about IP addresses and WEP keys and the like. Let's work through your difficulties...

1. Forget the port #'s. They don't matter at all. There's a distinction between a WAN port (your router should only have one of these) and a LAN port (your router/switch probably has 4 or more of these), but all the LAN ports are the same. You could plug any device into any of them at any time and it wouldn't matter which you used.

2. The IP address identifies a computer on the network. It has nothing to do with the port or settings in the slimserver software, just the computer itself (more precisely, the particular binding of the NIC, but for simplicity's sake, let's just say it identifies the computer). (oh, and don't confuse "port 9000" or other tcp/ip ports with "port #3" on your router. Totally different things.)

3. The WEP key is essentially just a password that lets wireless computers access your network. It isn't specific to any computer. It's specific to your wireless access point (i.e., your router--though I'm being careless with the term router here). If you have WEP turned on, any device that wants to connect to your network wirelessly must be set up with your network's WEP key. At that point it's connected to the network and is seen by the network and other computers on the network in the same way it would be if it were wired in directly.

4. You seem be getting confused by the fact that you used your primary computer to configure your router. Those settings weren't saved on the computer. You were configuring the software in the router itself. The WEP and SSID settings are saved to your router. You need to use those same settings any time you want to connect to your network with any wireless device. I'm a little confused from your description whether BaseStation is the name of your PC or the SSID of your router--I'm guessing it's your SSID.

5. You probably don't need to worry about static IPs--will likely only cause you more confusion. I don't think you're having DHCP or IP assignment issues.

So, I'm going to take a stab at what you need to do judging from what you've said so far:

1. Turn off your primary PC, just to decrease the chance of making a mistake (leave your music pc on, of course).

2. Press and hold the SB's power button to reset the SB.

3. Choose to connect wirelessly.

4. You should now find and select the name of your *router*. It sounds like you've named it "BaseStation". At this point in the process you *are not* choosing which computer to connect to. You're choosing which network to connect to.

5. Select 64-bit encryption and enter your WEP key (use the same key that you've used in the past to connect to your main computer--remember: it's the same key for the whole network, it's not got anything to do with a specific computer)

6. The SB should now try to connect to your network. Hopefully it's successful.

7. Choose to acquire an IP address automatically.

8. After you've acquired an IP the SB should search for available slimserver machines. Depending on what network name you've given your music computer, you may see it listed here, or you may simply see an IP address. Whatever the SB finds you should use. You can be confident it's the right one since you turned off your primary PC. If the SB doesn't find one at this point, you're either connected to someone else's network, not running slimserver properly on your music pc, or have a firewall issue on your music pc.

9. You should now be able to play music.

Good luck!

*I've used the term "router" very loosely throughout. More specifically speaking, most people have something that is often called a "wireless router" which is really 3 devices in a single box: a wireless access point, a router, and a switch.

tjw
2006-11-13, 13:46
Problem resolved. It ended up being a firewall issue, not with Microsofts firewall settings but with an application that I was not aware of called Desktop 5.0. At least that is what I have deduced based on a significant hard disk clean-up effort.

I want to thank radish, shabbs, ceejay and azinck3 for help troubleshooting my issue and the overall education that was provided me. I think this forum is one of the more valuable forums that exist. People are very helpful and friendly. I have been able to resolve a number of my issues by searching the forum database but feel comfort in the fact that there are individuals out there that are willing to spend their precious time helping me through my technical challenges.

Thanks again and hopefully i will be able to "pay it forward" sometime soon.