PDA

View Full Version : Nothing works as it should.....

petewulf
2006-11-08, 15:42
Hello all,

Whats up with you guys, how can you sell a device where nothing works as it should?

The first problem i have is that i could connect to SqueezeNetwork maybe 2 times the last week. Why can i only use this device when i'm connected to this network? I think this is not very user-friendly because when i want to listen to some regulary internet radio-stations i just can't do that and if this only works with the SqueezeNetwork then the connection _MUST_ work.

There is no problem with my connection or firewall this is simply a bug or whatever...

The second thin is that my Squeezebox freezes often and turns of the display or simply does nothing...only disconnecting from power makes the device accessible again.

The third bug is that when i want to listen to pandora and push the "next track" button on the remote control, then the stream freezes every few seconds. Everything works fine with the web-based playback of pandora.

I'm not very happy with this thing because it simply don't work...and it should only play music nothing more....think i will give it back.

regards,
pete

ceejay
2006-11-08, 15:51
Well, I'm sorry you're having trouble but perhaps you should consider what you're trying to achieve here. If you'd like some help, then give some useful information and the people here - one of the most helpful forums on the internet, IMHO - will do our very best to help.

But if you just want to have a rant, well, you're probably on your own. BTW - your problem is obviously not "simply a bug or whatever" as thousands of us are using these devices everyday.

There must be something odd, unusual or broken about your setup. Tell us what it is and we'll help you.

Start by telling us about your slimserver installation - is it running? If so, what version, on what hardware?

Ceejay

petewulf
2006-11-08, 16:20
Hi Ceejay,

Thanx for your help, and sorry for my anger in my previus post but i was really in rage cause really nothing worked. In this moment i could connect to Squeezenetwork but i tried the last hour without success...and this is annoying for me, cause i only want to hear some music and not spend hours in trying to get connected. The problems with the black screen and the inacessibility of the box are related to the 'could not connect to SqueezeNetwork' problem.

What i don't solve are the issues with pandora and the "time-to time inacessibility" from the box.

I'm located in Austria but my connection is good (4Mbit Broadband), so there should not be a problem.

Isn't there a possibility to connect to an internetradio station without SqueezeNetwork?

Edit:
------
Sorry forgot to post some technical data:
Version 6.5 of SlimServer
Hardware: 1.8 Ghz P4 with 1 GB Ram
Connecting over DHCP Router to Network

regards,
pete

SuperQ
2006-11-08, 17:03
Hi Ceejay,
I'm located in Austria but my connection is good (4Mbit Broadband), so there should not be a problem.

Isn't there a possibility to connect to an internetradio station without SqueezeNetwork?

Edit:
------
Sorry forgot to post some technical data:
Version 6.5 of SlimServer
Hardware: 1.8 Ghz P4 with 1 GB Ram
Connecting over DHCP Router to Network

regards,
pete

You may have enough speed, but the latency may be too high for SqueezeNetwork. The way the SqueezeBox works is that it send all commands from the remote over the network to the server.. I'm not sure if this is true while on the SqueezeNetwork, but if you have latency problems on your local network it can make things really bad. I saw this once when I was getting lots of interference on my wifi connection.

Yes, of course you can listen to most network streams without squeezenetwork.. but I'm not sure about Pandora.

I guess SlimDevices might need to put a local SqueezeNetwork head in .au. :)

bossanova808
2006-11-08, 17:29
I haven't tried it since 6.3 but I'm in Australia and have had no problem playing pandora etc or via squeeenetwork for a whole day.

(Telstra cable internet)

EFP
2006-11-08, 17:43
Seems to me the best way to figure out if it's your hardware or your connection would be to try a different client.

Does the Squeezebox behave erratically if you're playing local content from your SlimServer?

EFP
2006-11-08, 17:45
I haven't tried it since 6.3 but I'm in Australia and have had no problem playing pandora etc or via squeeenetwork for a whole day.

(Telstra cable internet)

I doubt he'll be throwing another shrimp on the barbie.

ceejay
2006-11-09, 01:05

Pete

One thing I'm not sure if you are clear on... the Squeezebox is an extremely dumb ("Slim"!) device and won't work without connection to a server - whether it be your own local server or SqueezeNetwork over the net.

So, yes you can listen to Internet Radio without using SN, but the SB has to be connected to your own server first so that it can make the connection.

With either a local server or SN, once you have been connected to an internet radio station the streaming happens directly and the server steps aside.

So, as a first step here, I'd strongly suggest getting your SB working happily with your local server. Even if you don't plan to use it this way generally, rip a CD and let your local SS see it - can you play on your SB?

Once that works, next try accessing Internet Radio while connected to your local slimserver. That should eliminate any specific issues relating to SN.

HTH
Ceejay

smc2911
2006-11-09, 01:56
Are you using a wireless connection? If so, this can often be a source of problems(interference, etc.). Have a look here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide and http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide
and in particular, try out the network test (accessible either using the remote under plugins or from the slimserver web UI towards the bottom of the page under "Server & Network Health").

petewulf
2006-11-09, 02:14
Hi all,

Thanks for your answers.

At first i have to clearify a misunderstanding: Austria is not Australia which often confuses people. Austria is a small country in Europe...maybe you know Red Bull, Mozart, Arnold Schwarzenegger... to help you to identifify ;)

Ok, now to my Squeezebox: I've never had problems playing music from my local server, everything just works fine here. The problems are beginning as i try to connect to Squeezenetwork (sometimes it workes fine but this is rare).
My ping response-time is on average 200ms think this is OK.

What is a little bit strange, exactly the same time as my Squeezebox tries to connect to the network and it just could not establish a connection, the server is reachable from my local Computer. They are both behind the same Router and the Router does not block anything, nor a firewall is active for the IPs used.

I don't know whats happening there, i read some posts where problems with v 6.5 were reported, maybe thats the reason making me sometimes crazy with this thing.

regards,
pete

smc2911
2006-11-09, 02:22
For what it's worth, I'm in Australia (not Austria) and my ping times to SN are also around 200ms, but I have no problems connecting.

P.S. You learn something new every day: until reading your post, I never realized Red Bull was Austrian, I thought it was from Thailand!

petewulf
2006-11-09, 02:55
Hi smc2911,

Yes, you are partially right, Red Bull was founded in the early 90's with a company from Thailand, think over a joint-venture. Dietrich Mateschitz promoted the Energydrink under the english name Red-Bull in Austria and then Europe. Officially Dietrich Mateschitz from Austria and T.C. Agrotrading Company Limited both hold 98% over the Distribution and Marketing. Unofficially the rumor goes around that Mateschitz holds much more than 49% but this is not really clear, who knows?

regards,
pete

ceejay
2006-11-09, 03:48
Pete

One thing you might consider is trying a recent 6.5.1 nightly instead of the 6.5.0 which I presume you are running at the moment. That will catch you up with any recent bug fixes.

Also, what happens when you try to connect to an internet radio station using your local slimserver to make the connection?

Ceejay

SuperQ
2006-11-09, 09:17
At first i have to clearify a misunderstanding: Austria is not Australia which often confuses people. Austria is a small country in Europe...
pete

Whups.. sorry.. I'm not that dumb, I just read your post too quickly. No, I don't blame you for the Governor. ;)

peterbell
2006-11-09, 16:07
If I understand correctly, Pete is saying that everything works fine with his local SlimServer, but is less than healthy when connected to SqueezeNetwork. I don't see how moving from SS 6.5.0 to 6.5.1 is going to make any improvement to the SN connectivity.

PS. Whereabouts in Austria? I hope to be visiting Zell am See again at the end of February!

ceejay
2006-11-09, 16:14
If I understand correctly, Pete is saying that everything works fine with his local SlimServer, but is less than healthy when connected to SqueezeNetwork. I don't see how moving from SS 6.5.0 to 6.5.1 is going to make any improvement to the SN connectivity.

Well, the firmware has changed... 6.5.0 has v64, my 6.5.1 from a week or so ago has v67.

Ceejay

petewulf
2006-11-10, 04:51
Hi,

@ceejay
Sorry for my late posting. At the moment i can connect fine to Squeezenetwork thats the reason i still have not updated my SlimServer Software to v6.5.1. Maybe there was a temporary network error the last days or whatever. I will consider to update it when the next connection problem appears.

@peterbell
I know Zell am See, its in Salzburg...very small town and (for me) only interesting to sleep there when i go skiing ;) I'm from the south, "Klagenfurt" it's next to the lake "Wörthersee" maybe you know.

@SuperQ
Well the current Governor (Heinz Fischer) is just OK i think. There were some of the who were not OK but this was earlier :)
As far as i know he last Governor (Thomas Klestil) had good relations to the States?

regards,
Pete

peterbell
2006-11-10, 06:21
Well, the firmware has changed... 6.5.0 has v64, my 6.5.1 from a week or so ago has v67.
Yes, as I wrote, I did wonder whether the firmware makes a difference. However, I am unsure whether SN imposes a specific version of firmware, by download, in the same way that SS does.

michel
2006-11-10, 07:20
@petewulf

I am sure the Governor SuperQ was not going to blame you for is Arnie! :-)

petewulf
2006-11-10, 08:30
Aaaah michel how could i not think of Arnie...shame on me ;)

SuperQ
2006-11-10, 11:09
Hi,
@SuperQ
Well the current Governor (Heinz Fischer) is just OK i think. There were some of the who were not OK but this was earlier :)
As far as i know he last Governor (Thomas Klestil) had good relations to the States?

regards,
Pete

Haha.. I was talking about Governor Arnold of California ;)