PDA

View Full Version : I want to listen to music and NOT try to "waking up the server..."

patrickw59
2006-11-08, 14:31
All I want when using a commercial device is to be able to enjoy my music and not act as a software engineer most of the time.

Since I upgraded to version 650, a few weeks ago, I may have enjoyed my music a couple of hours. Because, most of the time the SD cannot connect to the server.

It just hangs there. Of course my netgear router and all other pieces of equipment work just fine. the computer has been rebooted numerously, preferences killed and so on.

As far as I can see, this version has serious flaws.

I will wait for the iTV device to be available.

ajmitchell
2006-11-08, 15:21
For some reason this version seems to require a few more tries connecting hardware and software. In my experience the hard re-set (using the power button held down) does the trick, but I acknolwedge this is a pain if you have to re-enter security or other settings etc.

Mitch Harding
2006-11-08, 21:35
I would recommend to go back to whatever SlimServer level last worked for
you.

Alternately, open a bug and help get the issue resolved:
bugs.slimdevices.com

Or call or e-mail support. By all reports I've heard they are very helpful.

On 11/8/06, patrickw59 <
patrickw59.2gz3ob1163021701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> All I want when using a commercial device is to be able to enjoy my
> music and not act as a software engineer most of the time.
>
> Since I upgraded to version 650, a few weeks ago, I may have enjoyed my
> music a couple of hours. Because, most of the time the SD cannot connect
> to the server.
>
> It just hangs there. Of course my netgear router and all other pieces
> of equipment work just fine. the computer has been rebooted numerously,
> preferences killed and so on.
>
> As far as I can see, this version has serious flaws.
>
> I will wait for the iTV device to be available.
>
>
> --
> patrickw59
>
> Patrick
> ------------------------
> Squeezebox 2, Slimserver 6.5.0 or higher
> WiFi connection to IMAC-G5, OS X.4.4 or higher
> ADSL connection 20 Mbps.
> 40000 songs from my CD collection
> and streaming lots of European radio stations.
> ...at least when the device works.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> patrickw59's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3747
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29536
>
>

danco
2006-11-09, 01:32
For some reason this version seems to require a few more tries connecting hardware and software. In my experience the hard re-set (using the power button held down) does the trick, but I acknolwedge this is a pain if you have to re-enter security or other settings etc.

My own experience is that I don't have to enter all the settings. Just pressing the Up button after holding the Power button down gives an option that is chosen by pressing Right and connects immediately.

Brian Ritchie
2006-11-09, 18:42
Since switching to 6.5.x, I've noticed that sometimes my SB3 won't find SlimServer by itself - it goes through "Waking up SlimServer...", sits for a while at "Connecting to SlimServer...", then turns off again.

However, if I press the left arrow on the remote when it's at the "Connecting..." stage, it displays "Connect to <my PC's name/IP>?"; if I then hit the right arrow, all is OK.

This doesn't always happen. Sometimes I turn on our network and PC (we don't usually leave it on overnight) and by the time I come downstairs, the SB3's already connected.

-- Brian

byKnight
2006-11-10, 05:58
Similar experience here. 6.5.x works fine for me EXCEPT I sometimes have to fiddle with it to get to connect to the server. I don't mind it so much, because I like the improvements made between 6.3.x and 6.5.x.

But for the first two months I had my SB3, I was running 6.3.x, and although there were some bugs here and there, it did ALWAYS connect to the server immediately upon my pressing Power or Play on the remote. I finally had found a streaming music device that my wife enjoyed using.

With 6.5.x, although I have no complaints personally, the WAF has gone way south.

I've got my second SB3 on the way. I may run 6.3.x on both to ensure my wife is happy.

bahnsah
2006-11-10, 20:49
Folks,
If you're seeing this problem, please visit this bug and comment:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778

Also, email support@slimdevices.com

They need to know that many of us are struggling with this since going to 6.5.x.