PDA

View Full Version : Is lame necessary for bitrate limiting?

shadowboxer
2006-11-08, 14:22
I did a search and am finding that one cannot install LAME on the Squeezeserver, necessary to perform on the fly conversions of FLAC to mp3.

I have a readyNAS NV running the latest firmware and thus ss 6.5. I have set up port forwarding and am using winamp to stream music over the internet from my readynas. (I couldn't get Softsqueeze to work). On both ends, I have fast dsl service over 2mbs (well, that is fast for around here in the sticks).

My problem: Skipping in the music. Most of my music is mp3 endoded at 320 kbps. I want to try bit rate limiting down to 128mbs, suspecting this will allow me less skipping in the music. I can't get it to work. I set it at 128 kbps, but it still skips and shows on winapm as 320 kbps.

SIMPLE QUESTION: Is lame necessary for simple bit-rate limiting on Slimserver?

thanks in advance for your response.

Dale.

shadowboxer
2006-11-08, 15:29
Well, to answer my own question, YES, according to skywalker on the infran forum.

his answer to the same question above:
Yeah, to limit the bitrate going out, LAME needs to decode the MP3, and then re-encode it at a lower bitrate before sending it out. Unfortunately that's just not possible on the ReadyNAS

radish
2006-11-08, 15:37
SIMPLE QUESTION: Is lame necessary for simple bit-rate limiting on Slimserver?

Yes. If for some reason you can't run lame on your choice of server hardware, you have two obvious options - move to a different hardware platform or re-encode all your files at a lower bitrate. Personally, I'd go with the first option but obviously it's your call.

shadowboxer
2006-11-08, 16:01
I am pretty sure that I am going to move slimserver to a pc. I wanted a NAS unit anyway and I love my squeezeboxes, but it seems the disadvantages of running ss directly off the readyNAS box far outway the advantages,

thanks for your input.

shadowboxer
2009-09-03, 09:50
ReadyNAS and Slimserver software have come a long way since I made the posts above.

I eventually retired my ReadyNAS NV from being my music server because of its poor performance on the web interface, inability to install LAME, etc.

I now have upgraded to a Pioneer Pro. It is fantastically fast. I have been hunting diligently for a way to install LAME on the Pro, as I suspect it has the power to run LAME.

Anyway, I found this on the ReadyNAS forum and will be trying it out. Just wanted to post here for info in case anyone else wanted to install it.

I will provide feedback when I try this out

-dale

Oops, how about the link, huh? It in the last post on this thread. http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22084

MrSinatra
2009-09-03, 18:14
i wonder if the readynas PRO ver of SC has more ability than its sibling NV version?

the Pro could certainly do everything cpu powerwise any computer could.

shadowboxer
2009-09-08, 14:28
i wonder if the readynas PRO ver of SC has more ability than its sibling NV version?

the Pro could certainly do everything cpu powerwise any computer could.

That is exactly the assumption with which I am working, Mr. Sinatra. I assume that the Pro should be able to bitrate limit with aplomb, IF I can figure out how to get LAME installed!

The web interface is instantly reponsive on the Pro, unlike the unusable web interface on my NV.

Dale

BastiaanR
2009-09-08, 16:39
Yes. If for some reason you can't run lame on your choice of server hardware, you have two obvious options - move to a different hardware platform or re-encode all your files at a lower bitrate. Personally, I'd go with the first option but obviously it's your call.

Just curious.. can SoX not do the bitrate limiting? Thereby removing the requirement of 'installing' LAME?

shadowboxer
2009-09-09, 06:46
Just curious.. can SoX not do the bitrate limiting? Thereby removing the requirement of 'installing' LAME?

To pull from another thread:

You need to convert the 24/88.2 files from WAV to FLAC first...

(I'm assuming you downloaded the files from Linn as WAV?)

The SOX resampling process only works properly with FLAC at the moment.

thanks for the input. Reading about Sox, it looks like it works for FLAC files only. Darn.

-dale

MrSinatra
2009-09-09, 13:55
That is exactly the assumption with which I am working, Mr. Sinatra. I assume that the Pro should be able to bitrate limit with aplomb, IF I can figure out how to get LAME installed!

The web interface is instantly reponsive on the Pro, unlike the unusable web interface on my NV.

Dale

i see lots of 3rd party plugins at the netgear site. i wonder if lame is one of them, or if it COULD be if not.

i'd have no idea how to do it, but perhaps you could get the actual netgear people to do it. they have forums too.

shadowboxer
2009-09-09, 14:54
i see lots of 3rd party plugins at the netgear site. i wonder if lame is one of them, or if it COULD be if not.

i'd have no idea how to do it, but perhaps you could get the actual netgear people to do it. they have forums too.

They do indeed. I have posted that very request over there and asked if perhaps they could prepare one of their "add-ons" to add LAME.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

shadowboxer
2009-09-16, 19:36
Add on here:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=33073&p=183168#p183168

Thanks to Super Poussin on the ReadyNAS forum

LAME no installed and running on my PRO.

-dale

MrSinatra
2009-09-16, 19:39
wow, they did that QUICK. i wonder if slim is hiring?

shadowboxer
2009-09-17, 06:23
wow, they did that QUICK. i wonder if slim is hiring?

The guy who did it doesn't work for slim! He is french. Sent him some Euros to his paypal as a token of appreciation

MrSinatra
2009-09-17, 06:27
well, what i meant is slim should hire le programmeur

shadowboxer
2009-09-17, 07:43
well, what i meant is slim should hire le programmeur

Ahhh, Excusez-moi.