PDA

View Full Version : Need Networking help

traut
2006-11-08, 08:59
OK, I just got my Squeezebox, got a wireless router, but I'm stuck. I have a wired router that I got with my Vonage VOIP service, and I'm pretty sure that my phone won't work without it. Anybody fall into this situation before? Can I use both routers with one modem? If so, how should they be wired?

ddewey
2006-11-08, 09:26
Quoting traut (traut.2gyo5z1163001601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> OK, I just got my Squeezebox, got a wireless router, but I'm stuck. I
> have a wired router that I got with my Vonage VOIP service, and I'm
> pretty sure that my phone won't work without it. Anybody fall into
> this situation before? Can I use both routers with one modem? If so,
> how should they be wired?

Turn off the routing features on the new wireless router. You already have
one router, you don't need another. Use it as an access point. How to do
this is device-dependent.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-08, 19:48
Take a look here:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign

Your situation should be like "The Optimal Arrangement" except that you'll have the VoIP adapter right after the modem but before the router.

I've never used one, but I imagine the VoIP adapter would have a WAN (Internet) port where you'd plug in your modem WAN output, a regular phone jack and a WAN output. Wire the WAN output to the WAN/Internet in port on the router.

Disable DHCP on the VoIP adapter and enable it on your router. Wire your SlimServer device to one of your router LAN ports. The Squeezebox will connect wirelessly.

jonheal
2006-11-09, 03:21
OK, I just got my Squeezebox, got a wireless router, but I'm stuck. I have a wired router that I got with my Vonage VOIP service, and I'm pretty sure that my phone won't work without it. Anybody fall into this situation before? Can I use both routers with one modem? If so, how should they be wired?

I believe the second post in this forum thread may begin to answer your questions:

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic11849.html