PDA

View Full Version : Can not get SB to connect to slimserver

tf1216
2006-11-08, 08:12
Hi,

I have been trying for a few weeks now to get my SB working and I have had no luck getting it to work with my computer.

I started having problems a few weeks ago when I had x64 as my OS. I have since retried with x64 and now I installed standard XP hoping things would get better. I attached my old link below:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29009

I have tried slimserver 6.5 and 6.5.1 and the farthest I can get is having the SB say to me that it has connected to slimserver but then when I push the right arrow key to access my music the SB searches for the wireless connection again. Then it searches for slimserver and keeps searching but doesn't connect.

Should I try an older version of slimserver? Any helpful ideas?

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-08, 19:37
Can you try wiring the SB to see if it connects that way? That will eliminate the wireless part so we can determine if it's SlimServer that's not working properly or being blocked by something.

To others reading this: any debug flags tf1216 can try?

tf1216
2006-11-10, 21:14
I have tried wiring the SB into the router with no luck. I am really stumped as to why the SB is not working.

I was able to get the SB to work at my friend's house with slimserver on his computer.

Hugs and kisses to who ever can help solve my problem.

Ramage
2006-11-11, 00:27
I have tried wiring the SB into the router with no luck. I am really stumped as to why the SB is not working.

Have you tried using softsqueeze on the local machine? At least it would prove whether the server works or not?

ceejay
2006-11-11, 01:54
Do you have Server Settings / Security / Block Incoming Connections turned on?

In the wired mode (and I really would keep it wired while you get this working) does the SB get an IP address? And can you then ping it from your server?

Ceejay

tf1216
2006-11-11, 16:16
Ramage,

I have read about softsqueze but I do not know what it is. My apologies for my ignorance.

ceejay,

Should the "Block incoming connections" option be switched to "Block" or set to "Do not block"?

My SB does pick up an IP address but as of late I have been entering it in manually.

I get confused when my IP address on the computer is 192.168.1.100 because that is the same address I input for slimserver, correct? And when the SB searches for an IP address "Obtain IP address automatically (DHCP)", it would also be 192.168.1.100. Is that right?

Just now the DHCP and the slimserver IPs were 192.168.1.100 and I got the SB to say setup was complete. As soon as I clicked right to continue the SB says "Connection to SlimServer" again. I did this wirelessly. Am I in the wrong somewhere?

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-11, 17:04
Should the "Block incoming connections" option be switched to "Block" or set to "Do not block"?

"Do not block" - for now, until we can figure out your IP address issue.

My SB does pick up an IP address but as of late I have been entering it in manually.

This could be your problem, see below.

I get confused when my IP address on the computer is 192.168.1.100 because that is the same address I input for slimserver, correct?

Correct, that's where SlimServer is.

And when the SB searches for an IP address "Obtain IP address automatically (DHCP)", it would also be 192.168.1.100. Is that right?

No! That would make it a duplicate and would block all traffic. DHCP should assign something else, anything other than 192.168.1.100.

Just now the DHCP and the slimserver IPs were 192.168.1.100 and I got the SB to say setup was complete. As soon as I clicked right to continue the SB says "Connection to SlimServer" again. I did this wirelessly. Am I in the wrong somewhere?

Yes, your DHCP-assigned address should not have been 192.168.1.100 because that's taken up by SlimServer. Assign 192.168.1.101 manually to the Squeezebox if that's the case.

tf1216
2006-11-11, 21:52
Thank you Mark.

I have been assigning 192.168.1.101 (a different IP) manually to the SB and the SB hangs up when connecting to slimserver or the SB connects and as soon as I right click to continue it searches for slimserver again.

Ramage
2006-11-12, 03:44
Ramage,

I have read about softsqueze but I do not know what it is. My apologies for my ignorance.

Softsqueeze is a software emulation of squeezebox which runs on your PC. You can access from your Slimserver web interface (http://localhost:9000/default/), help, softsqueeze. Follow the instructions to install and run.

Having read your other thread, and not wanting to miss the obvious, it is not clear whether slimserver is running properly on your PC. To check, launch Windows Task Manager and check that slim.exe and mysqld.exe are listed under the processes tab. It sometimes takes quite a time for the slimserver web interface to respond when started (up to 2-3 mins).

tf1216
2006-11-13, 11:48
Update for everyone that has been kindly helping me. With some work this past weekend I was able to get the SB working with help from a friend.

We ran into lots of glitches but to keep this short. It seems that my internet connection kept droping during the setup process and we can not figure out why this was happening. We simply wired the computer to the router and the SB works great now.

This is not the optimum solution but it works. When I place my computer back on the top floor I will run a cable for it so I can use my SB.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-13, 13:56
Hmm...SlimServer doesn't need Internet access in order to function, unless you want to check for updates or stream Internet radio.

Also wireless networking should work, at least when the router and SB are in close enough proximity.

But, glad it's working! Take a breather, enjoy the music and check on these things later.

Ramage
2006-11-14, 00:43
Update for everyone that has been kindly helping me. With some work this past weekend I was able to get the SB working with help from a friend.

We ran into lots of glitches but to keep this short. It seems that my internet connection kept droping during the setup process and we can not figure out why this was happening. We simply wired the computer to the router and the SB works great now.

This is not the optimum solution but it works. When I place my computer back on the top floor I will run a cable for it so I can use my SB.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Was your server PC also connected to the router with wireless? If so then there is a good possibility that your router does not permit a wireless to wireless connection (there may be a setting to change this). This may be your problem.

The general view on this forum is that a wireless connection to your server is not a good idea, especially if the SB3 is also on wireless - too many changing conditions for it to work reliably - if you can get a connection in the first place!

Enjoy the music.

tf1216
2006-11-14, 06:50
The whole time I was having troubles is when the computer was wirelessly connected to the router. I have a relatively new Linksys router so I would never have thought it would not allow a wireless to wireless connection.

Anyway, thanks again for your help guys. I really do appreciate it.

Next up for me is some analog and digital mods and then I may try and figure out how to connect wirelessly to the router.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-14, 08:33
The whole time I was having troubles is when the computer was wirelessly connected to the router. I have a relatively new Linksys router so I would never have thought it would not allow a wireless to wireless connection.

Aha. I often try to mention this, and when I do I usually get 5 replies with "works for me". But it's definitely pushing the envelope.

Routers *do* allow a wireless-to-wireless connection by default. The setting to change this is "AP isolation", which is only available in advanced router firmware, you may not even have it. But this is a two-hop arrangement, server - router (1 hop), router - Squeezenox (another hop). On each hop you can get interference, attenuation, all the lovely things that impede wireless networking.

It can work, but you greatly increase latency and decrease bandwidth. The combintation of the two can cause all sorts of problems, from minor stuttering to no connection at all.