PDA

View Full Version : USB to Ethernet adaptor and SB3 as bridge? Is what i want to do possible?

autopilot
2006-11-07, 07:21
Does anyone here know anything about USB to Ethernet adaptors? i.e. something that would allow me to add a USB HDD to a network?

I am planning to by a Topfield 58000 PVR, which has a USB port only for moving files on/off it. When you connect it to a PC, you can view the files/folders in Mass Storage Device mode - but i don't want to keep dragging it upstairs to my PC. I want to add it to my network using my Squeezebox3 as a wireless bridge.

What i plan is this;

PC -> Ethernet cable -> Wireless access point -> WiFi -> Squeezebox 3 -> Ethernet cable -> Ethernet to USB adaptor -> Topfield PVR.

It should work, right?

Thing is i has never used an Ethernet-USB adaptor, has anyone got/used one or have any link to suitable products?

And what issues may i encounter using the SB3 as a wireless bridge?

Heimiko
2006-11-07, 08:37
What you want is not possible (sorry)
the mass storage device is a USB-client, which can only be connected to a USB-host. A USB-network adapter is also a USB-client, and can only pluggin into a PC (with windows/linux etc). However, there is a possibility to get it to work. Instead of using a USB-network adapter, you should be using a switch (or hub) which has a mass-storage USB capable port, these do exist!

However, you'd still not be able to run slimserver directly on the USB storage device (unless these are on of those that run linux on it) your PC should still be turned on for having the SB connect, and if you store music on the USB disk, the route of the music is first going to your PC (through SB and wireless) and after that, back to the SB (again, through wifi) .... in other words, definitely not a good idea! (any geeks want to add comments??)

autopilot
2006-11-07, 09:55
What you want is not possible (sorry)
the mass storage device is a USB-client, which can only be connected to a USB-host. A USB-network adapter is also a USB-client, and can only pluggin into a PC (with windows/linux etc). However, there is a possibility to get it to work. Instead of using a USB-network adapter, you should be using a switch (or hub) which has a mass-storage USB capable port, these do exist!

However, you'd still not be able to run slimserver directly on the USB storage device (unless these are on of those that run linux on it) your PC should still be turned on for having the SB connect, and if you store music on the USB disk, the route of the music is first going to your PC (through SB and wireless) and after that, back to the SB (again, through wifi) .... in other words, definitely not a good idea! (any geeks want to add comments??)

I have no intention of running Slimserver from a USB drive, i think you miss-read my post.

radish
2006-11-07, 10:14
So ignore the second paragraph of his reply, the first is still correct - you can't connect a USB ethernet adapter to the DVR and expect it to work unless it's designed for that.

autopilot
2006-11-07, 11:25
Well, it seems it is possible by using a couple of routers with hacked firmware. But they are not cheap. Nice idea, but i think i am going to drop it for now.

Thanks for the info.

dSw
2006-11-07, 13:45
I am planning to by a Topfield 58000 PVR, which has a USB port only for moving files on/off it. When you connect it to a PC, you can view the files/folders in Mass Storage Device mode - but i don't want to keep dragging it upstairs to my PC. I want to add it to my network using my Squeezebox3 as a wireless bridge.

What i plan is this;

PC -> Ethernet cable -> Wireless access point -> WiFi -> Squeezebox 3 -> Ethernet cable -> Ethernet to USB adaptor -> Topfield PVR.

It should work, right?

No, because the Topfield is a USB slave device. You'd be better off looking on the toppy.org.uk forums - there's plenty of chat and Guides about that sort of thing there.

Basically you can either use an NSLU2 or a PC to connect to your Toppy (via USB) then an ethernet cable to connect the NSLU2/PC to the SB3.