PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 6.3.1 to 6.5.1

JTemple
2006-11-07, 03:15
Can someone provide me with the steps to upgrading from 6.3.1 to 6.5.1. Will the playlist that I have need to be re-created. How about the settings, internet radio, pandora etc. in reading in past forums I understand that I should uninstall 6.3.1. My question amoung the others is what is the recommended way to unistall? I am on XP using Album review, biography and Sirus plugins. Is 6.5.1 stable at this point?

Mitch Harding
2006-11-07, 08:09
The method I recommend is:

1) Write down your settings (as you will have to re-enter them)
2) Uninstall SlimServer from Add/Remove Programs
3) Manually delete the SlimServer directory (in C:\Program Files\SlimServer
by default)
4) Reboot
5) Install 6.5.1
6) Re-enter your settings

Skipping step 3 the first time I upgraded caused me some problems.

On 11/7/06, JTemple <JTemple.2gwdrb1162894801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Can someone provide me with the steps to upgrading from 6.3.1 to 6.5.1.
> Will the playlist that I have need to be re-created. How about the
> settings, internet radio, pandora etc. in reading in past forums I
> understand that I should uninstall 6.3.1. My question amoung the
> others is what is the recommended way to unistall? I am on XP using
> Album review, biography and Sirus plugins. Is 6.5.1 stable at this
> point?
>
>
> --
> JTemple
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JTemple's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=6485
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29481
>
>

Zten
2006-11-07, 08:51
I think your best chance of success is to follow Mitch's procedure, but let me ask this: Why do you want to upgrade? If you don't have a good reason to do it, then stay with 6.3.1. I upgraded this past Saturday and ran into big issues with library scanning. Then, searching the forums, I found several other folks commenting on scanning issues. I'd just stay on 6.3.1 unless there is some specific fix or enhancement in 6.5.1 that you must have. Not JMO, I think it is the same opinion of at least a few others in the forum as well.

Deanor
2006-11-07, 10:13
I have had same problems with 6.5.0. Can someone tell me how to get 6.3 if indeed you can?.

brucegrr
2006-11-07, 10:17
It should be noted that the vast majority of people have no trouble with 6.5.1

I would "try it" before giving up on it.

To revert to a previous version I would follow Mitch's advice in post #3

6.5.1 works flawlessly for me.

Zten
2006-11-07, 12:23
Deanor,
You can get old revision's of Slimserver at:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

jmstipe
2006-11-07, 13:41
for what it's worth... i was running version 6.5.0 with no trouble. then upgraded to v6.5.1 so that it would be compatible with iTunes v7.0.2. Since switching to v6.5.1 I am getting stuttering, or songs stopping 1/2 way through and restarting from the beginning. Not sure if this is a direct result of v6.5.1 - but i did not notice this problem in v6.5.0

oreillymj
2006-11-07, 13:43
I'm assuming you're a Windows user, if not, ignore this post.
I'm also assuming you have a basic understanding of Windows and winzip.
Finally you should have Slimserver installed in the default location. c:\program files\slimserver
For those people having problems with 6.51 try the following.

Download the latest Windows nightly ZIP file from here http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/ . While doing so, do the following....

1) Stop the Slimserver service, and shut down the Slimtray app.
2) Open a command prompt (DOS window).
3) Now type the following INCLUDING the quotes

"C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" -remove

You should get a message saying that the Slimserver service has been removed. Keep the Command prompt open, you'll need it later.

4) Now from the Windows explorer rename C:\Program Files\SlimServer to C:\Program Files\SlimServer631. You now have a backout plan.

5) Using Winzip extract the nightly you've downloaded to somewhere temporary like the desktop.
You should end up with a directory called "SlimServer for Windows" with a server directory within that.

6) Rername "SlimServer for Windows" to Slimserver and drag it into the C:\Program Files\ directory. You should now have a C:\Program Files\Slimserver\server directroy. If so, continue on. If not re-read the instructions above or go to the backout steps.

7) If it exists, open the C:\Program Files\Slimserver\server\Slimserver.pref file in Notepad and search for "audiodir". Change this from the default to the path which contains your music.

e.g. audiodir: E:\Music\MP3

8) Again find "playlistdir" and change the path.

e.g. playlistdir: E:\Music\Playlists

Now save the prefs file and exit notepad.

9) Open your Slimserver631 backout directory and copy a file called "SlimServer Web Interface". Paste it into C:\Prgoram Files\Slimserver.

10) In the command prompt type the following including quotes

"C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" -install AUTO
You should get the following message.

slimsvc installed as SlimServer.
Starting SlimServer.......
SlimServer started.

11) Double click on Slimtray.exe. The Slimtray icon should appear in the taskbar, Right-cick on it an open Slimserver.

12) Open the Windows task manager and order the tasks by CPU descending. You may see a task called scanner.exe.

12) Leave the system alone until it completes a full re-scan and the scanner.exe process disappears.

13) Your library should now be complete.

Backout.

Shutdown Slimserver and kill Slimtray.
Run "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" -remove in a command prompt.
Now delete C:\Program Files\SlimServer or rename it C:\Program Files\SlimServer651

Find C:\Program Files\SlimServer631 and rename it C:\Program Files\SlimServer

Run "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim.exe" -install in a command prompt.

Now Run Slimtray. You should be back on 6.3.1 with all your settings intact.