PDA

View Full Version : Restart Slimserver from Nokia 770 Xterm window

pc4ever1
2006-11-06, 15:45
I would like to re-start Slimserver remotely after it has crashed on my WinXP PC using my Nokia 770.

Currently I have been using VNC on the Nokia 770 to gain access to the WinXP system after a slimserver crash. But the VNC method involves moving around the Nokia Screen to restart Slimserver.

I was thinking that there has to be an easier way then using VNC to mouse around the screen. What I would like to do is create a script for the Nokia 770 to run from the Xterm window to restart Slimserver.

Has anyone done something like this? If so how?

Thanks

azinck3
2006-11-06, 16:07
I would like to re-start Slimserver remotely after it has crashed on my WinXP PC using my Nokia 770.

Currently I have been using VNC on the Nokia 770 to gain access to the WinXP system after a slimserver crash. But the VNC method involves moving around the Nokia Screen to restart Slimserver.

I was thinking that there has to be an easier way then using VNC to mouse around the screen. What I would like to do is create a script for the Nokia 770 to run from the Xterm window to restart Slimserver.

Has anyone done something like this? If so how?

Thanks

Take a look at Girder...I'm fairly confident you could work something out with Girder using either a command-line event or tcp/ip event.

pc4ever1
2006-11-06, 16:32
I have used Girder in the past for my Streamzap remote.

Unfortunetly Girder is not ported to the Nokia 770, plus since the Nokia 770 isn't a remote it doesn't have IR or RF signals.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

bklaas
2006-11-06, 16:48
my thoughts:

make your winxp machine do the heavy lifting-- run apache on your winXP machine and write a simple CGI that restarts the slimserver via a button "restart slimserver". Open a browser on your 770 pointing to the CGI and press the button.

this may be more involved than you want, but you said any thought welcome, so I thought I'd pipe in...

cheers,
#!/ben

azinck3
2006-11-06, 17:46
I have used Girder in the past for my Streamzap remote.

Unfortunetly Girder is not ported to the Nokia 770, plus since the Nokia 770 isn't a remote it doesn't have IR or RF signals.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

sorry I wasn't clear...didn't mean for the Nokia 770 to run girder...nor did I mean for it to send ir or rf signals. Girder can accept other types of events: command-line and internet events. There's surely a way to trigger one of those types of events from the 770. It may not be the best way, it's just the first thing I thought of. I can't really give you any more help with it, it's just a pointer in a possible direction. You might check the girder forums for some help. Ben's suggestion may be better.

pc4ever1
2006-11-06, 17:47
Ben,
I will take a good look at Apache, I'm assuming you are recommending using it as a HTTP server. Before I go that route I would like to ask if you know how computationally intensive that program is, meaning will it utilize alot of resources ( RAM , CPU usage ).

My current system that runs Slimserver is actually a Windows Media Center PC ( underneath the OS it's actually WinXP with a front end shell). Since it's already on 24x7 I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to run Slimserver. So far SS is the biggest memory hog on my system (running around 128K). Since I have 2GB of RAM I'm not overly concerned. But adding Apache to the mix start pushing it above the 18% CPU utilization that it's currently running at.

Thanks for your input.

pc4ever1
2006-11-06, 17:54
Hi Azinck3,
Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts. I will explore Girder further as I wasn't aware that it could trigger events without IR or RF.

I will compare this against the Apache suggestion that Ben offered and make a decision in which to dive in on, Unless another suggestion is offered.

Thanks again!

azinck3
2006-11-06, 17:59
Hi Azinck3,
Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts. I will explore Girder further as I wasn't aware that it could trigger events without IR or RF.

I will compare this against the Apache suggestion that Ben offered and make a decision in which to dive in on, Unless another suggestion is offered.

Thanks again!

No problem, here's a thread on the promixis site that I think should get you well on your way. Post #4 contains the meat of the info.

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

the thread is from 2002 (which is perfect for me, since I run an ancient version of girder), but hopefully is applicable to whatever version you're running.

gwak
2006-11-07, 05:45
Hello ,
with a little work you could install a ssh server on your windows
box using cygwin.

You could then ssh in and restart the slimserver.

cygwin packages (unix on top of win32)
http://cygwin.com/
pointers to install ssh
http://www.google.com/search?&q=ssh%20windows%20cygwin&sourceid=firefox

-best
-gwak

slimpy
2006-11-07, 06:37
Instead of looking for a workaround to restart slimserver remotely I'd rather invest some time to improve server stability. There seems to be something wrong with your slimserver installation or configuration.
Just my 2 cents...

-s.

pc4ever1
2006-11-07, 10:17
"Instead of looking for a workaround to restart slimserver remotely I'd rather invest some time to improve server stability. There seems to be something wrong with your slimserver installation or configuration."

Agreed, I rather fix the root cause but since I have been using Slimserver versions 6.2.x, 6.3.x, 6.5.x, I have encountered issues with the server stopping. I have been manually restarting this but I want to ideally be able to reset this with a 1 click operation (script), or issue a command from the CLI. As for addressing the server issue and the root cause, I use all the plugins new, old, beta's etc. I love to try all the offerings to enhance the listening and UI experience. I also know that this has a downside, server stability. I'm pretty confident that the plain vanilla setup will work the best but I wouldn't be pleased with that having already tasted the pleasures of working with Musicmagic Mixer and the other wonderful plugins.

As for my proposed bandaid (one click restart), I like the idea of using OpenSSH since I already have this installed and use this to remotely control my Softsqueeze2 player.

I'm just a novice with the SSH stuff and have a question. I think I need to install a SSH client on my Nokia770 or any other PC to remotely issue a "restart command". Is this a correct assumption?

Then when both of these are running (Server and Client) let's take the case of using the Nokia770, within a xterm window I think I can control my WinXP system via the command line to issue a "restart command".

I do have a question.
My home router/firewall has the port 22 forwarded on my WinXP system ( Slimserver PC). This was needed for Softsqueeze2 ( Squeezebox emulator ) to function remotely. The command line for the Slimserver CLI interface is port 9090. Do I need to set my router/firewall to forward to this port as well or will it work via port 22 and then I set the CLI port to 22?

Anyway I will try this tonight when I get home and see if it works, I was just trying to get some more information beforehand to reduce the headaches during the setup. Any insights from the SSH experts will be appreciated. TIA

JJZolx
2006-11-07, 10:49
Ben,
I will take a good look at Apache, I'm assuming you are recommending using it as a HTTP server. Before I go that route I would like to ask if you know how computationally intensive that program is, meaning will it utilize alot of resources ( RAM , CPU usage ).

My current system that runs Slimserver is actually a Windows Media Center PC ( underneath the OS it's actually WinXP with a front end shell). Since it's already on 24x7 I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to run Slimserver. So far SS is the biggest memory hog on my system (running around 128K). Since I have 2GB of RAM I'm not overly concerned. But adding Apache to the mix start pushing it above the 18% CPU utilization that it's currently running at.
I run Apache along side SlimServer on my server. It takes 0 CPU while sitting idle and maybe 9MB of RAM. The impact will be nil.