PDA

View Full Version : SS 6.5 on NSLU2 anyone, too?

Nicola Fankhauser
2006-11-06, 03:52
hi

I managed to get SS 6.5 up and running on two NSLU2, however I had to move MySQL to my second NSLU2 to prevent excessive swapping. it's running quite well now, not as well as 6.3 however.

is there anybody trying to do the same?

regards
nicola

PatPowerMan
2006-12-29, 06:29
Yes! But I have no luck with the combination SS6.5 and NSLU2. Could you please help me and tell me the single steps to make this work?

Or do you know a 'HowTo' where I can reproduce every step and all the requirements?

Are you using a external USB-Harddisc or a USB-Stick?

Nicola Fankhauser
2006-12-29, 06:37
hi pat

you need quite a lot of knowledge of linux administration to accomplish this. if you have this, here are the general observations and ideas:

the goal is to try to minimize memory consumption. this means for slimserver: no upnp server, no web server, no plugins etc. have a look at the start options.

for mysql: run it standalone and turn off the innodb-engine. you need to re-build your database and edit the sql-schema first that's used to create the db-tables.

simply forget to run slimserver without a harddrive - you absolutely need a swap partition!

I must admit, that I am a huge fan of the NSLU2 - however I switched to a 256mb 500mhz P2 notebook since and it shows: no lengthy waiting time when changing tracks etc.

regards
nicola

pfradique
2007-01-03, 04:34
Hi Nicola,

I tried installing it it myself, but I've been off the linux scene for a while and it's taking longer than I anticipated to refresh my memory on all this...

I'm going to install 6.3.1 for now but... do you think it would be possible for you to release an rpm of the 6.5 on nslu2? Or, alternatively a detailed step by step how-to?

That would be great... ;)
Pedro.

Nicola Fankhauser
2007-01-04, 02:27
hi pedro

do you think it would be possible for you to release an rpm of the 6.5 on nslu2? Or, alternatively a detailed step by step how-to?

unfortunately, I don't have the time or knowledge, to build packages (I am grateful to all who do). a how-to guide won't make a lot of sense since installing SS 6.5 on such small hardware is more having fun with how far you can go than having a really usable system afterwards.

I suggest you either get your linux knowledge up to speed with trying out my suggestion with two slugs - or you switch to more powerful hardware (like the well-supported synology diskstations, where you can get ready to install SS packages: http://oinkzwurgl.org/ssods ).

sorry!

regards
nicola