PDA

View Full Version : how well in sync are multiple squeezeboxes?

[IDC]Dragon
2006-11-04, 02:02
Currently I'm the "proud" owner of one box, but would like a setup for the whole house (perhaps 4 boxes). BTW, anybody still selling SB2s?

What are the experiences with playing them simultaneously? Are there any echo effects when listening to 2 rooms? Once I tried softsqueeze as a second client, it was horribly off.

I've read that Sonos went through some length to master the sync problems.

davep
2006-11-04, 02:16
This question comes up quite often - I seem to recall a thread on it within the last week - and you should be able to find some of these previous discussions by searching the forum.

The general consensus is that for hardware players running on a well set up network there is no problem getting and maintaining synchronisation between them all. There is a well known problem achieving this between hardware players and software-based players such as softsqueeze. Your experience trying the latter set up should not be taken as representative.

davep

stinkingpig
2006-11-04, 10:29
On 11/4/06, davep <davep.2gqqzb1162632001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> This question comes up quite often - I seem to recall a thread on it
> within the last week - and you should be able to find some of these
> previous discussions by searching the forum.
>
> The general consensus is that for hardware players running on a well
> set up network there is no problem getting and maintaining
> synchronisation between them all. There is a well known problem
> achieving this between hardware players and software-based players such
> as softsqueeze. Your experience trying the latter set up should not be
> taken as representative.
>
> davep
>

In the past there have also been issues with different generations of
hardware, particularly when transcoding (some take MP3 natively, some
take FLAC natively). Since upgrading to 6.5 I have not had problems
playing MP3 between SB1/G, SB2, and SB3, which was an occasional
problem with previous versions. There is definitely a potential issue
with long-running tracks or streams, particularly with internet radio,
but I know some work has gone into this area and the number of problem
reports seems to have gone down.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

[IDC]Dragon
2006-11-04, 10:50
Sorry for asking, if this is a FAQ. I did a search for "sync" before posting the topic, which gave many results about other topics (syncing files, etc.) Now I searched for "sync" and "multiple", got closer.

I found people to have mixed experiences, boxes drift apart, makes me think there is an issue and I should better switch to Sonos. I haven't found much about listening inbetween rooms, where the sync must really be within a few milliseconds to avoid echoes.

PBS
2006-11-04, 11:44
I have two synced in adjoining rooms and have not had any problems

ajmitchell
2006-11-05, 07:18
Yes this is a common question, but completely reasonable. I have 2SB2s 3SB3s and a transporter over quite a large area and thick walls and I can confirm most people get reasonable synch provided network strength (reach) is pretty good. Wired of course you should have no problems. Problems are more likely in my opinion playing long tracks and high bit rate tracks, and tracks off NAS. Incidentally transporter with its double aerials has less problems. Tiny sych errors do creep in over the course of some tracks but slimserver corrects and re-synchs in the background at the start of each song to try and keep in sych. This seems to work pretty well, and for me there is rarely any significant echo. Cannot comment on whether SONOS does a better job in this regard.