PDA

View Full Version : Losing Connection to SlimServer 3.5

trodrigu
2006-11-02, 16:45
Need help. SBv3. SlimServer v 3.5. WinXP Home Ed, Wireless G, 64 bit WEP, 2Wire w/firewall enabled, McAfee AV, McAfee Firewall Disabled. 50-60% wireless signal strength, constant. D-Link DSM320 media streamer on same network (w/no issues)-turned off during this SB problem. SB accesses WMA library fine, but within 1-2 minutes, SB screen blanks, lights up on any key press, says "Cannot connect to SlimServer". Tries again, but still cannot connect. Hard power reset on SB finds server again, plays song, and repeat outage. Any ideas?

jeffluckett
2006-11-02, 16:51
I'd start with an upgrade to the current version of the software (6.5).

There's been a lot of enhancements and bugfixes to the the software and the firmware since 3.5.

azinck3
2006-11-02, 17:26
I'd start with an upgrade to the current version of the software (6.5).

There's been a lot of enhancements and bugfixes to the the software and the firmware since 3.5.

Haha, he's definitely not running 3.5. I don't think that particular version # ever existed, and if it did, it would only support the Slimp3.

Because you mention having the media streamer on the same network I wonder if it may be a UPnP discovery problem. I believe the media streamer uses a UPnP server and I've heard reports of certain UPnP traffic causing slimserver some difficulties. You could try disabling the Rhapsody plugin in slimserver to see if that remedies your problem.

Oh, and what version of the software are you, in fact, using? 6.5.0 release version?

trodrigu
2006-11-02, 17:27
Sorry Jeff, my mistake - brain drain. I am on 6.5, the latest version of SlimServer. Also, new info. Problem occurs identically with SqueezeNetwork as it does SlimServer 6.5. This seems to point to network connectivity issues. Wonder if the 2Wire Wireless G Router based firewall is getting in the way. I'll try opening pinholes thru the firewall. Anyone know which ports I need to open?

radish
2006-11-02, 22:08
http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=2&id=76&artlang=en&highlight=port

3483 & 9000, UDP & TCP.

trodrigu
2006-11-03, 03:21
At a total loss. Opened up firewall ports. Shut down McAfee and D-Link Media Streamer. Upgraded SlimServer software to 6.5.1 (Nov 3rd build), which pushed a firmware upgrade (v65?) to my SBv3. Still, it connects on reboot, plays a song and then SB goes blank, tells me it cannot connect with SlimServer. It is passing my wireless router (with OPEN WEP 64 enabled) because if it weren't it would not get thru the first time, right? It is finding and accessing my library. I can browse freely, until it just shuts down. Usually takes 2-3 mins before it happens. Oddly, after the screen goes blank on SB, and tells me "Can't Connect with SlimServer", the song that was playing continues to play no problem. Signal strength on the W-G network is between 40-60% so its not dropping on that basis. Completely miffed!

trodrigu
2006-11-03, 03:33
Update: It is happening the same regardless if its my library thru SlimServer or if its internet based Squeeze Network. Seems to point to the router connectivity, not to slim server.
Update2: Set it up wired over ethernet direct to router and it has no problem of disconnecting. Going to try static IP instead of DHCP and see what happens.

blackavenger
2006-11-03, 07:01
I got the same problem with droppped connection when I tried my newly bought D-link Wireless router DGL-4300.
A song stopped playing after a few minutes. When I pressed Play it started again.
I have now disabled D-Link Super-G mode and I have not lost connection since. Are D-link routers only compatible with other
D-Link equipment?
My old D-link router DI-624 worked fine although a bit slow.
I'm a bit lost...

/b.a.

jeffluckett
2006-11-03, 07:10
I got the same problem with droppped connection when I tried my newly bought D-link Wireless router DGL-4300.
A song stopped playing after a few minutes. When I pressed Play it started again.
I have now disabled D-Link Super-G mode and I have not lost connection since. Are D-link routers only compatible with other
D-Link equipment?
My old D-link router DI-624 worked fine although a bit slow.
I'm a bit lost...

/b.a.

Super-G mode, will only work with equipment compatible with that ... and usually requires that it be by the same manufacturer. HOWEVER, it's supposed to fall back to "Standard" 802.11g when communicating with non-compatible equipment. In practice ... I think Super-G doesn't really do that very well.

trodrigu
2006-11-04, 03:22
It took a day of playing with it, but finally fixed the problem. The trouble is I don't know exactly what solved the problem. It could have been that I changed my bit rate of the WMA stream to 256kbps. (All my music is at 190kbps so no issue). Seems my router was dropping over 50% at anything above 350Kbps. It could also be that I had mistakenly opened the required firewall ports on my squeezebox, and not on my PC which is hosting the music. It could also be that McAfee was doing something odd in terms of blocking access to Slim.exe, which I fixed. Anyway, all resolved and one or a combination of those three things fixed the problem.