PDA

View Full Version : iTunes / PSP questions

pfraser
2006-11-02, 09:06
I have ripped my CD collection to my Windows box in my study. There's about 500GB using Apple lossless. I have a SB3 connected to my stereo system in my front room, and talking to my 802.11g router in my study. The sound quality is fine, but the user interface on the SB makes it very difficult to find a specific item, or to browse. I bought a PSP to use as a remote control, but it seems glacially slow, and I'm not very keen on the SlimServer interface after using iTunes. If I use a laptop for remote control, the speed is fine, but I'm still stuck with an interface I don't like.

Where do I go from here? Is there any way to use the SB with an iTunes interface. Would I be happy with the speed of the Nokia 770, or do I really need a laptop as a remote? If I end up using a laptop, can anyone recommend a silent one? Perhaps I just need a silent laptop running iTunes, with a decent outboard DAC.

azinck3
2006-11-02, 09:31
I have ripped my CD collection to my Windows box in my study. There's about 500GB using Apple lossless. I have a SB3 connected to my stereo system in my front room, and talking to my 802.11g router in my study. The sound quality is fine, but the user interface on the SB makes it very difficult to find a specific item, or to browse. I bought a PSP to use as a remote control, but it seems glacially slow, and I'm not very keen on the SlimServer interface after using iTunes. If I use a laptop for remote control, the speed is fine, but I'm still stuck with an interface I don't like.

Where do I go from here? Is there any way to use the SB with an iTunes interface. Would I be happy with the speed of the Nokia 770, or do I really need a laptop as a remote? If I end up using a laptop, can anyone recommend a silent one? Perhaps I just need a silent laptop running iTunes, with a decent outboard DAC.

From what you've said, I imagine you'll be dissatisfied with the speed of the 770. You should consider slimremote or telcanto for a pocketpc or similar device. They're free-standing apps so they're much faster than the web interface on those underpowered devices.

pfraser
2006-11-02, 11:01
From what you've said, I imagine you'll be dissatisfied with the speed of the 770. You should consider slimremote or telcanto for a pocketpc or similar device. They're free-standing apps so they're much faster than the web interface on those underpowered devices.

Thanks. I'm ignorant of pocket pc stuff so these questions might be dumb. The Dell X51V seems reasonable, and is reasonably reviewed. Any thoughts? Will slimremote or telcanto work on an XP machine? This would allow me to get an idea of the interface before I commit to a pocket pc. Thanks for your answers.

azinck3
2006-11-02, 11:15
Thanks. I'm ignorant of pocket pc stuff so these questions might be dumb. The Dell X51V seems reasonable, and is reasonably reviewed. Any thoughts? Will slimremote or telcanto work on an XP machine? This would allow me to get an idea of the interface before I commit to a pocket pc. Thanks for your answers.

The Dell X51V does seem like an excellent device. It's been mentioned around here several times as a good pick. You can also pick up an X3 or X30 for a bit less money and those seem to be good as well. And there are a few Ipaq models which seem nice. I found a good selection of modern PDAs for fair prices on Craigslist in my area, so you might check that out as well. And if you only want to run slimremote then you should take a look at the Sharp Zaurus -- it runs ewe and can be had for cheap on ebay.

Slimremote can be run on xp--just go download it and give it a try (http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=912&kategorie=slim). Not so sure about telcanto. All of my knowledge of it is secondhand from what I've heard and read. From the reports of people on this forum it sounds like it's fast and effective.