PDA

View Full Version : Why so many MusicIP menus in Slimserver?

cparker
2006-11-02, 02:04
Hi

Can anybody tell me the purpose of having the MusicMagic menu in the server settings? Today I played around with creating a longer mix of say 30 tracks.

When I change the length of mix number under the;
Home / Server Settings / MusicMagic

I create a mix via the SS web, there is no change its the same number of tracks as the old setting, also via the remote its the same.

If I change the number under;
Home / Player Settings / Plugins
Then I get the longer mix of 30 tracks, when creating a mix from the remote and the SS web.

There is also a bug in the SS web as if I set it to 20 tracks, it actually seems to produce a mix of 19 tracks??

Just wondered why the menu was there if its never used??

Many Thanks

ceejay
2006-11-02, 02:19
Have you enabled player settings or not?

From the server settings page...
"You may choose to give each player access to the musicmagic mix settings before generating a mix. Any player-chosen settings will override the server settings and remain, until they are changed again from the player. If you wish to skip directly to creating a mix, using existing player/server settings only, then choose no."

Ceejay

cparker
2006-11-02, 02:37
Have you enabled player settings or not?

From the server settings page...
"You may choose to give each player access to the musicmagic mix settings before generating a mix. Any player-chosen settings will override the server settings and remain, until they are changed again from the player. If you wish to skip directly to creating a mix, using existing player/server settings only, then choose no."

Ceejay

Hi Ceejay

Its set to NO, so if I changed this to Yes then the player would use the settings on the server page and not its own settings under the player menu?

Why not just the one menu under each player? So if I had two slimplayers in different rooms I can have different mixes on them. I dont get the purpose of the server settings which is just duplication for no benefit, or is there some special purpose that I'm not understanding?

Cheers

jeffluckett
2006-11-02, 05:07
Why not just the one menu under each player? So if I had two slimplayers in different rooms I can have different mixes on them. I dont get the purpose of the server settings which is just duplication for no benefit, or is there some special purpose that I'm not understanding?

Basically, it's so that you can set server-wide defaults, but then have per-device changes if you so desire.

One use-case would be that perhaps in your living room, you might prefer to have the device use "tighter" rules for picking tracks, but then have another SB feeding a whole-house audio system for 'ambient' music which you may want to allow more free-ranging settings for the mix.

It also allows you to have one set of rules that you use "most of the time", while allowing you to tweak those settings right at the device from time to time when you feel like experimenting.