PDA

View Full Version : Weak Wireless Signal

jmstipe
2006-11-01, 21:30
I am looking for some advice on how to get a better signal.
Here is my set-up:

Cable Modem hooked up to a D-Link Wireless router on the 2nd floor of my house. My iMAC is also upstairs in a seperate room (than the router). My squeezebox (v3) is downstairs on my main floor sitting on the top of my stereo receiver (under a table - not in a cabinet).

I am having issue with either:
a) my squeezebox not connecting to my slimserver - or,
b) connecting, but operating very "choppy" as I believe the connection is weak.

Is there anything that I can do to improve the connection or signal strength between the squeezebox and my computer?

Thanks!

Green19
2006-11-01, 21:58
Can you attach larger antennas to you D link do the unscrew ?

Is their another cable outlet on the 1st floor you could pug in to?

tomjtx
2006-11-01, 21:58
I am looking for some advice on how to get a better signal.
Here is my set-up:

Cable Modem hooked up to a D-Link Wireless router on the 2nd floor of my house. My iMAC is also upstairs in a seperate room (than the router). My squeezebox (v3) is downstairs on my main floor sitting on the top of my stereo receiver (under a table - not in a cabinet).

I am having issue with either:
a) my squeezebox not connecting to my slimserver - or,
b) connecting, but operating very "choppy" as I believe the connection is weak.

Is there anything that I can do to improve the connection or signal strength between the squeezebox and my computer?

Thanks!

Where do you think the weak link is? would a better antenna on the router or the computer help. Your router manual should tell about the router's range of broadcast and reception and may even recommend antenna types, The apple extrme base station has this info but other brands go into more detail.

jmstipe
2006-11-01, 22:11
I moved the D-Link Wireless Router from the basement to the 2nd floor of my house to improve the signal to my iMAC. I could however move the Router/Modem to my mainfloor (virtually) next to my squeezebox if that would help.

I'm trying to avoid $150 range booster type product for my router...

pfarrell
2006-11-01, 22:20
jmstipe wrote:
> I moved the D-Link Wireless Router from the basement to the 2nd floor of
> my house to improve the signal to my iMAC. I could however move the
> Router/Modem to my mainfloor (virtually) next to my squeezebox if that
> would help.

If you move your router/modem, then you can just plug in an Ethernet
drop cable. Maybe you'll need a small switch, which are cheap, if your
router/modem doesn't have one built in.

Wired is tons more reliable than wireless. Wireless is
mostly when dragging wire is too hard or expensive.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-01, 22:23
Some thoughts:

- elevation. Like a radio tower, a wireless antenna likes to be up, free and clear of obstructions. Even though you may be moving it away from the SB by a few feet, putting the router on top of a cabinet or something may help.

- antenna orientation. Most antennas with wireless routers radiate outward horizontally but poorer vertically. So if your router has dual antennas, try moving one or both horizontal.

- NetStumbler. If you have a wireless laptop, install NetStumbler, it's free. Isolate your own wireless network by filtering it out by other networks using the filtering parameters on the left side. When you isolate all but your own network, it will start to graph it. Now is the time to play with antenna orientation but also experiment with different channels. Try 1, 6 and 11 (or 13 in the UK). You're looking for a high, constant signal. Some combinations may be high but "peaky". Others will clearly be lower.

- high-gain antennae. Much cheaper than wireless extenders/repeaters and at least as effective if you find the right one.

peejay
2006-11-02, 03:47
Along with all these other good suggestions, it took me almost 2 weeks to get a reliable signal to my squeezebox. I live in an inner city area and, for some reason or other, I could not get reliable SB3 operation on the default wireless channel for my region. I ended up on channel 13. It may end up being different for you I found the diagnostics on slimserver very useful when switching channels on the wireless router, then monitoring the signal strength, buffer fullness etc on the slimserver interface. I never looked back.
Good luck. It's worth the perseverence.