PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a Wireless

Green19
2006-11-01, 21:05
Ok this has probably been asked many times before but… anyway.

Can any one recommend a Wireless router that they think is excellent, that they have had no problems with (imposable as that sounds)

At work a deal with Cisco and a like, but for “home” use I am a bit lost I always liked Linksys but no one else seems to like them and the one I recommended to other people seems to break down at every opportunity….

I would be greatful for any suggestions

Thanks

azinck3
2006-11-01, 21:20

Can any one recommend a Wireless router that they think is excellent, that they have had no problems with (imposable as that sounds)

At work a deal with Cisco and a like, but for “home” use I am a bit lost I always liked Linksys but no one else seems to like them and the one I recommended to other people seems to break down at every opportunity….

Thanks

I'm fond of the units you can put dd-wrt on (google it). Turns a simple router into a near-professional powerhouse capable of most anything you can imagine. Very good stuff, stable, and well-tested.

The cheapest router compatible with dd-wrt is the Buffalo WHR G54s. I got a couple recently from newegg for ~$40 apiece.

tomjtx
2006-11-01, 22:03

Thanks

if you have a mac the apple extreme base station is both idiot proof and stable.

I should know , I am an idiot and unstable and have had no problems with mine :-)

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-01, 22:08
I'm fond of the units you can put dd-wrt on (google it). Turns a simple router into a near-professional powerhouse capable of most anything you can imagine. Very good stuff, stable, and well-tested.

Yes, I've had DD-WRT v23 SP1 on my Linksys WRT54G since it was out. Stable, rock-solid, no dropouts.

You need to get a v1-v4 version or a WRT54GL (which is the current v4). The v5 and v6 are very stripped-down and will only support a minimal DD-WRT install. Plus the quality has dropped substantially.

Slim Devices themselves seem to recommend Ruckus Wireless. There was talk of a marketing agreement just before the sale to Logitech but it's gotten lost in the meantime.

Nostromo
2006-11-01, 22:26
I have a Linksys WRT54G v.6. Its OK, overall. But sometimes it just stops working and I have to reset it. And I had to configure it manually, which was a pain in the ass.

The Ruckus system seems very, very reliable. I would seriously check it out.

And there's an intriguing, new system that you plug in your electrical outlets...

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-11-01, 23:15
>Can any one recommend a Wireless router that they think is excellent,
>that they have had no problems with (imposable as that sounds)

The Ruckus system sounds promising but I've not experience with it.

Personally, I use a WRT54GL modded with the Sveasoft 1.2 Alchemy
firmware and am very happy with that.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

radish
2006-11-02, 09:19
I was a Netgear user but have now switched to Ruckus and I can really recommend it. Very stable, very fast. I posted a short review in the Third Party Hardware forum.

vdorta
2006-11-02, 09:29
I have a Linksys WRT54G v5, I upgraded the firmware as soon as I got it (twice now) and it has worked perfectly ever since; I have never had any problems with my wireless SB2 either. I believe most of the bad comments about version 5 don't apply now.

jeffluckett
2006-11-02, 09:38
I have a Linksys WRT54G v5, I upgraded the firmware as soon as I got it (twice now) and it has worked perfectly ever since; I have never had any problems with my wireless SB2 either. I believe most of the bad comments about version 5 don't apply now.

I too have a V.5 with the DD_WRT firmware. The only thing that is a "downer" for using the v.5 for dd-wrt is the limited memory. However, it works perfectly for me. I have it set to reboot itself nightly in the wee hours which goes a long way toward keeping it stable. I think it keeps its routing tables in memory, and doesn't do a good job of trimming them. So the reboot causes those to be cleared.

Jeff52
2006-11-02, 10:02
You might also want to check out the router notes and comments available in the Slim Devices wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus

vdorta
2006-11-02, 10:30
The latest WRT54G v5 firmware is here (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417109974&packedargs=sku%3D1127782957298&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper).

jeffluckett
2006-11-02, 11:03
The latest WRT54G v5 firmware is here (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Download_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115417109974&packedargs=sku%3D1127782957298&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper).

I guess I misunderstood your post. I replaced the Linksys firmware with the DD-WRT open-source firmware which gives you a lot more capabilities. (Like QOS that actually works, the ability to crank up the signal strenght on the radio, etc...),

It used to be you couldn't install this on the V5 router, but there is now a hack to allow it.

vdorta
2006-11-02, 21:20
I guess I misunderstood your post. I replaced the Linksys firmware with the DD-WRT open-source firmware which gives you a lot more capabilities.
I see, it's too fancy for me. I just need a wireless router that works with my SB2, and both are in the same room.