PDA

View Full Version : Need help with NAS selection

gs_bagga
2006-11-01, 15:46
I am a new Slim Device user and am really enjoying the product. I have been reading the forum for last few days and trying to figure out which NAS to buy. I have two main requirements

1. Run SlimServer
2. Download using BitTorrent

Which NAS can support both these with decent performance?

The two I was looking at are

Synology DS-10? (can self install SS )
Qnap TS-101? (will have to buy SS install from Paul)

Both of these models have limited RAM so not sure if it can support both my needs. I will appreciate any help/guidance in this regards.

Are there any other choices?

Thanks.

dc11ab
2006-11-02, 10:39
Not sure what you mean by decent performance?
- response time on server interface? scanning time? etc.

I guess it boils down to a number of things, for example what plugins you want to run, the size of the database, the kund of queries you run on it, the I/O-traffic and your network config/setup etc.

Personally I run SSODS on a Synology Cubestation with 128 MB RAM, currently some 6000 music files (mostly mp3 and FLAC), regular internet radio listening etc.
- It has decent performance for my needs, although the web controlled server interface is a tad slow.

gs_bagga
2006-11-02, 11:32
By response I mean that I should be able to play songs without any delay. I use browse->music folder option to navigate through my song collection. I hardly ever use server inferface.

On PC I get about BT download speed of 300kB/s and upload @ 25kBs.

Will I be able to get the same speed on the NAS which is also running SS? Can I do both the things at the same time..download and listen to music using SS?

Not sure what you mean by decent performance?
- response time on server interface? scanning time? etc.

I guess it boils down to a number of things, for example what plugins you want to run, the size of the database, the kund of queries you run on it, the I/O-traffic and your network config/setup etc.

Personally I run SSODS on a Synology Cubestation with 128 MB RAM, currently some 6000 music files (mostly mp3 and FLAC), regular internet radio listening etc.
- It has decent performance for my needs, although the web controlled server interface is a tad slow.

dc11ab
2006-11-02, 13:31
I'm not a network technician (and at this moment I don't do BT directly to my NAS) so I can only assume things and guess wildly.
My real advice to you is to try and find a much better answer than I can provide :)

The NAS box you're aiming to buy will probably have Gigabit ethernet support, although you need that both on the SB and out to the router aswell if that should be of use. Typically you'd end up with normal 10/100 ethernet performance.

On my PC the BT really eats away all available bandwidth if I don't limit it, and I don't know if that kind of bandwidth throttling is supported on the NAS-box.

The music stream bandwidth usage depends if you do FLAC or mp3, for sake of argument let's say mp3 with a bitrate at 192 kbit/s (FLAC could be around 500).

You'd be using 192+25 upstream (stream to SB + BT up) and 300 down. At least in my theory that shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you'll find this useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

Ian_F
2006-11-02, 15:23
gs_bagga, I'm in the same boat as you.

Not sure how far you've got with your research but the qnap definitely does both (SS and BT) plus more. Not read much with regards the Synology Iím afraid. Also, depending on where you buy the qnap, it already comes pre-installed with both so you don't have to install anything. You just basically plug it in and move your music on to it. To start BT downloads, move/copy the required torrents onto it and you're off. Well, that's what the marketing blurb says anyway! It also comes with Twonkyvision pre-installed. (Apologies if you already know this).

My question is also whether a NAS (the qnap in particular) can do both with room to spare, since I also want to use it to serve a Helios X3000 (not got either yet, still in "research mode").

Obviously, as an alternative I can just buy a "proper server" but, like you, hope a NAS can fulfil my requirements.
By performance I mean I'd like to be able to listen to the squeezebox in one room, whilst the wife watches something on the Helios in another, whilst downloading more stuff via BT. Plus, in an ideal world, I'd like it to be able to do this with plenty of headroom so I can add more clients to it in the future! Is this a bit too much to ask of it?

The reason I'm interested in a NAS as opposed to a proper server is; I like the idea that the NAS can go into sleep mode when it's not being used. Plus it's silent. Plus it uses less electricity than a lightbulb so Iíd just switch it on and forget about it. Perhaps a proper server can also do the same but it's a minefield trying to find one that can, plus I've no idea of what spec I need! I saw the qnap and it seems to offer everything.

But, like you, the limited RAM and general "low spec" of them is a concern. Perhaps just an unfounded one? Also, they donít appear to be upgradeable in terms of processor/RAM.

Am I way off the mark with my understanding??

gs_bagga
2006-11-03, 12:58
dc11ab this is a totally new perspective. I never really understood the bitrate of MP3. I just associated it with the sound quality but didn't think of the bandwidth it take.

One good news in my case is most of my music collection is MP3 and majority with 128 bitrate. So I guess I will be ok with the bandwidth but what about memory? How much does SS take on Synology? How much one BT will take? What if I have 5 BT downloads going on, will it be able to still work fine? I have lot of questions. I want to use NAS for much more than just NAS.

I'm not a network technician (and at this moment I don't do BT directly to my NAS) so I can only assume things and guess wildly.
My real advice to you is to try and find a much better answer than I can provide :)

The NAS box you're aiming to buy will probably have Gigabit ethernet support, although you need that both on the SB and out to the router aswell if that should be of use. Typically you'd end up with normal 10/100 ethernet performance.

On my PC the BT really eats away all available bandwidth if I don't limit it, and I don't know if that kind of bandwidth throttling is supported on the NAS-box.

The music stream bandwidth usage depends if you do FLAC or mp3, for sake of argument let's say mp3 with a bitrate at 192 kbit/s (FLAC could be around 500).

You'd be using 192+25 upstream (stream to SB + BT up) and 300 down. At least in my theory that shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you'll find this useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

dc11ab
2006-11-03, 14:47
If you really want performance and hifi sound you should consider not to use the NAS for too much other bandwidth consuming services at the same time, such as ftp and BT. That goes regardless if it's on your PC or a NAS box.

Perhaps you'd be better off with a small form factor PC or even a Mac Mini as a supplement instead? They are not expensive but you'd miss out on the security of RAID. But on the other hand these little boxes have much more possibilities than a NAS box does.

Or you could easily build you own NAS from an old/refurbished PC (a good idea is to put some money to reduce noise, with silent fans etc.) - have a look at www.freenas.org!

If you really need both - high quality streaming in your LAN, as well as high download/upload rates on BT/FTP - you could consider putting two NAS boxes in: one for music/streaming media in your LAN, and the other FTP/BT server/NAS-box in a DMZ (http://www.answers.com/topic/demilitarized-zone) (attached to the router/switch to the WAN).