PDA

View Full Version : Update

ultra238a
2006-11-01, 15:04
Ok sorry I haven't been around for a couple of weeks but I have had to concentrate other parts of the Progressive business. Plus a lot of the questions that get asked can all be answered on here - our little self help group :)

Ok what stuff have we been working on:

1. Self install for SlimServer on TS-101, TS-201 (shipping next week), TS-401T, TS-411U. It is still about two weeks away but anybody who has already purchased a TS-101 with SlimServer pre-installed will be entitled to a free of charge version on production of their TS-101 MAC address

2. Website for Qnap + SlimServer purchase, support and downloads

3. External drive (USB + eSATA) support on TS-101 for SlimServer - available Monday 6th November

4. USB memory stick support for SlimServer 6.5 running on TS-101. This is still very flakey but it does at least allow the drive to spin down (for all of you silence freaks out there) and does speed up 6.5 ever so slightly - work in progress

5. TS-201 running SlimServer - they will be available from next week. They come with 128Mb RAM which is double what the TS-101 has so SlimServer 6.5 should run quite a bit quicker on it but I won't know until the stock arrives.

As posted on another thread, we'll be at the What Hi-Fi show this weekend (joy!) with Transporters, Qnap and Audioengine. There will be some show speical offers to take advantage of (don't get too excited though as I have a wife and three children to feed). The Transporters and Squeezeboxes will be running from the TS-401T and if anybody would like to see how fast the web interface is compared to that of the ReadyNAS ( ;-) ) then feel free to come along and say hello. I will also have two bouncers with me so if anybody gives me any crap for not being around for a couple of weeks then you will be ejected, either that or I will get Jez to tell you all about his days at CU and how he brought Sonos to the UK - we love him really ;)

roamingstudio
2006-11-01, 15:11
Hi Paul

Thanks for the update - it all sounds like you have been real busy!. Am looking forward to trying out the updated-SS features etc.

simonjedrake
2006-11-02, 06:51
Paul.
It's good to hear from you again, I had noticed you appearing on this site over the last few weeks as a "Viewer" so I knew you were still around.

I like your development plans for the Qnap.

When you are at the What Hi-Fi show, see whats planned for Video streaming to TV's. I firmly believe that the next home development will be in streaming downloaded/home video's using the consumers already installed home wired/wireless networks. I read last month that Apple are bringing out in 2007 the hardware in the form of an updated/remodelled Airport Express. I believe that a Qnap product will be a perfect stand alone NAS box, and with Logitech now involved with SS, I am sure that they may be thinking of an Airport Express type of home consumer products.

Glad you are back in circulation again
Simon

RichP
2006-11-02, 08:36
Paul,

Any idea on an e.t.a. for the TS-101 memory stick support?

Cheers,

Rich

consciouspnm
2006-11-03, 04:39
Can someone summarise what the options are going to be, I must have missed some threads!

I have a TS-101 with SS 6.3.1, what will I have to do to get 6.5 working? Buy a USB stick? buy a higher TS model, send it back for an upgrade?

Fifer
2006-11-03, 05:34
You could just try what I did which was to downlaod and install it. It works fine for me. Others have had different experiences and there is a suggestion that it might be down to the revision of the TS-101 mainboard.

simonjedrake
2006-11-04, 03:20
You could just try what I did which was to downlaod and install it. It works fine for me. Others have had different experiences and there is a suggestion that it might be down to the revision of the TS-101 mainboard.

Like Fifer says, just go for it. I held off for some time having read some of the earlier threads, but it works 100% for me on one of the very 1st Qnap Ts-101's. My advice is having installed it, then leave it for some time until disc activity has stopped as it has to totally rebuild it's database which it does as part of the installation routine.
Simon

happyfishman
2006-11-04, 16:46
But what are the benefits/advantages of trading up to 6.5?

Jerryacg
2006-11-05, 02:36

As well as mans illogical urge to have the latest version of anything.The latest version of Softsqueeze will only run 6.5 and onwards, which is important for my setup. But generally speaking isnt it always advisable to upgrade to latest hardware/software releases? Progressive state that it is on the upgrade page. IMHO Windows NT4.0 for me was the best, most stable version of windows ever, but theres a need to keep on the upgrade path of Windows or any piece of software to enable everything else to function correctly.

Heuer
2006-11-05, 05:59

Very few! Re-scanning your music is marginally better and allows you to listen when it is doing so. If you want to use the web browser stick with 6.3.

Alternative is to run 6.5 on a powerful PC and keep the library on the Qnap. You get the benefits of both - quick rescan, rapid browser access with separate (secure?) storage. Running 6.5:

On Qnap - 35 seconds to access SS Home page
On PC - 1 second to access SS Home Page

Depends what you want out of the product in your application.

radish
2006-11-05, 07:23
The Transporter also only works with 6.5 upwards.

Fifer
2006-11-05, 09:16
I wouldn't know ...

tommypeters
2006-11-05, 10:32
Very few! Re-scanning your music is marginally better and allows you to listen when it is doing so. If you want to use the web browser stick with 6.3.

Alternative is to run 6.5 on a powerful PC and keep the library on the Qnap. You get the benefits of both - quick rescan, rapid browser access with separate (secure?) storage. Running 6.5:

Though I still run on 6.3.1 the browsing by cover art is said to be much more flexible in 6.5. And the change tp MySQL in 6.5 is to prepare for the future, some things that were hardly possible in SQLite will come in later versions of SlimServer.

But you could do something like suggested above - run 6.3.1 on the QNAP and 6.5 on your computer, pointing at the same music folder on the QNAP. When your computer is on, connect to that instance of SlimServer for snappier response. When not, use SlimServer on the QNAP. I'm thinking of doing the same with my DS-106.

Heuer
2006-11-05, 10:35
I wouldn't know ...

Me either ...............

Seineseeker
2006-11-05, 12:29
Though I still run on 6.3.1 the browsing by cover art is said to be much more flexible in 6.5. And the change tp MySQL in 6.5 is to prepare for the future, some things that were hardly possible in SQLite will come in later versions of SlimServer.

But you could do something like suggested above - run 6.3.1 on the QNAP and 6.5 on your computer, pointing at the same music folder on the QNAP. When your computer is on, connect to that instance of SlimServer for snappier response. When not, use SlimServer on the QNAP. I'm thinking of doing the same with my DS-106.

Thats a good idea, does it work, 6.5 and higher on your PC, and 6.3 on your QNAP. What happens when both your PC is on as well as your QNAP?

bonze
2006-11-05, 13:05
Thats a good idea, does it work, 6.5 and higher on your PC, and 6.3 on your QNAP. What happens when both your PC is on as well as your QNAP?
Doesn't the Squeezebox get confused and try and update or downgrade??

I'm running 6.5 myself - on a QNAP TS101.
The Squeezebox is much more responsive to remote commands.
The downside is the web browser reponse.

It all depends on how much time you spend using the browser and how much time on the SB. :)

Jerryacg
2006-11-05, 13:56

Unless I'm missing something ... Isnt the entire point of buying the QNAP so that you don't need to use a PC?

tommypeters
2006-11-05, 16:13
Doesn't the Squeezebox get confused and try and update or downgrade??
I believe you can turn off automatic upgrade - but I don't know if there exists a firmware version that works well with both 6.3.1 and 6.5. But for me it would anyway not be a big problem - one SB3 would always be run connected to 6.3.1 on the NAS, the other would have to be just 6.5 - instead of 80-90% if it works to switch.

The reason for getting a QNAP - or any other NAS for SS - *IS* to be able to listen to music when the computer is off. But if it's on anyway - and it lets you get a snappier and better interface - why not use it? I have my Synology DS-106 so that my wife can listen to the music while I'm not at

WSLam
2006-11-16, 13:00
Is the self installed version available yet? Or has it been delayed once again?

vamprecords
2006-11-19, 04:22
Is the self installed version available yet? Or has it been delayed once again?

I doubt if we will see this any time soon... Paul never replies about this question...

ultra238a
2006-11-19, 05:07
I do reply to the messages about this question from time to time. I don't want to really want to commit to dates on this as it is taking longer than expected due to firmware developments at Qnap.

Soon, very soon.

vamprecords
2006-11-19, 06:16
I do reply to the messages about this question from time to time. I don't want to really want to commit to dates on this as it is taking longer than expected due to firmware developments at Qnap.

Soon, very soon.

Thanks Paul...

Martijn

zapp!
2006-11-19, 09:08

Soon, very soon.Paul i was just wondering do u provide the firmwares to people who live outside of UK?

ultra238a
2006-11-19, 14:01
We will be doing. People from anywhere in the world will be able to purchase our update.

Regards

Paul

zapp!
2006-11-19, 18:00
excellent. Do tell when the update for the TS-201 is ready :p WHat is the estimated price at which it will retail at for the customised firmware?

Aylwin
2006-11-21, 13:18
I'm running 6.5 myself - on a QNAP TS101.
The Squeezebox is much more responsive to remote commands.
The downside is the web browser reponse.
I don't mind too much about the web interface but the remote control response drives me mad sometimes. I'll be upgrading soon... :)

vamprecords
2006-12-17, 08:17

Soon, very soon.

So Paul what's the status? please reply..

Thanks,

Martijn

vamprecords
2006-12-28, 04:48
So Paul what's the status? please reply..

Thanks,

Martijn

well it looks like support is dead...

anybody know how to get access to the OS on the qnap?

Paul_B
2006-12-28, 06:42
Suggest you have a look at the Openturbostation wiki for current Open Source work on the TS-101, 201. But obviously be aware that is an unofficial activity not in anyway supported by QNAP.

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Open_Turbostation

Seineseeker
2006-12-28, 07:33
well it looks like support is dead...

anybody know how to get access to the OS on the qnap?

I don't think Dec 28 is a good day to pronounce support dead. It may be dying who knows, but my QNAP works pretty well, all I wish for is the TMS plugin, but after this morning I'm not sure now.

vamprecords
2007-01-02, 11:50
I don't think Dec 28 is a good day to pronounce support dead. It may be dying who knows, but my QNAP works pretty well, all I wish for is the TMS plugin, but after this morning I'm not sure now.

contacted Paul, and no reply... I'm trying to make some kind of a backup of the HD with slimserver installed to replace it on a new HD.. there has to be a way to install Slimserver..

Stil i hope the self install version will come out soon...

Paul if you read this.. please be kind, and reply the status.. allot of us are waiting for it!

Thanks,

hermi
2007-01-07, 04:31
Just to let people know that I upgraded 6.22 to 6.5 on the TS-201 using the files on http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/ and it seems to be stable and running nicely. A few of the download file extensions needed to be changed to have the file load from the update directory. Hope this helps someone.

Jerryacg
2007-01-07, 11:04
Just to let people know that I upgraded 6.22 to 6.5 on the TS-201 using the files on http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/ and it seems to be stable and running nicely. A few of the download file extensions needed to be changed to have the file load from the update directory. Hope this helps someone.

Thaanks for the info. Is the Hardisc on your 201 spinning down?

Clarkie
2007-01-07, 11:42

I'm about to get a TS-201 - could you let me know how to apply the upgrades? I'm a bit of a newbie, so don't have much confidence about changing file extensions etc.

Thanks

RichardEvans
2007-01-07, 12:24
Ah I just realised you said TS-201, not TS-101. However perhaps it is reasonable to assume that it woul be done in the same way as the TS-101.

Updates can be downloaded from.
http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/

On the TS-101, you simply copy the updates to the Update folder, and the restart the whole thing. It then instals the updates as it restarts.

To restart you have to log in as an administrator. I found for some reason that this doesn't work when I use Netscape, so I have to do it with Internet Explorer in stead. You have to point your web browser at port number 6000. So type in <the IP address of your server>:6000. Click on Administration, log in and there is a command to restart somewhere in the admin pages. I can't remember exactly where without doing it myself, but it is not hard to find.

Richard.

hermi
2007-01-08, 13:54
Thaanks for the info. Is the Hardisc on your 201 spinning down?

Hmm, don't know, what would I notice? I must say, it is in a cupboard and I don't spend much time looking at the 201, just leave it to itself and never had the need to check it after plugging it in. Seems to play music without problems. I have the news on as a screensaver on the squeezebox would this keep the disc going?

hermi
2007-01-08, 14:18
I'm about to get a TS-201 - could you let me know how to apply the upgrades? I'm a bit of a newbie, so don't have much confidence about changing file extensions etc.

Thanks

OK, no idea if I did the correct thing but it worked!
I started off with slimserver 6.22 pre-loaded and I guess the firmware was 0822 as this number comes up in the TS-201 administrator page somewhere (can't remember where just now).
Download the files from www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/ into the update directory on the TS-201. Make sure the filenames end in .tar.gz as some of them downloaded just as .tar and needed a rename.
I did it one by one in this order:
All-In-One Update
reboot
SlimServer 6.3.1
All-In-One Plugin Update for SS 6.3.x **
reboot
SlimServer 6.5 **
All-In-One Plugin Update for SS 6.5 **

The downloaded files disappear when you reboot and there is a log file that you can view.
I don't know if you can go straight to 6.5 from 6.22.

Slimserver then rescans your media library which can take a while if it is large. Speed wise, if anything 6.5 is faster through the squeezebox and maybe through the web interface too but most of the time I was using 6.22 it was scanning the media library and was a bit stop start then so I can't really compare to be honest. There is a lag of just a second or two when using the remote/squeezebox, nothing that is intrusive but I have just used pretty basic browsing through file directories so far.

Hope this helps.

Jerryacg
2007-01-09, 02:30
Hmm, don't know, what would I notice? I must say, it is in a cupboard and I don't spend much time looking at the 201, just leave it to itself and never had the need to check it after plugging it in. Seems to play music without problems. I have the news on as a screensaver on the squeezebox would this keep the disc going?

On the TS101 the green light should go out to indicate the disc has spun down. The delay before spindown can be set from the QNAP admin page. Not sure about the 201, presumably the same. It would appear that the disc won't spin down if you've got the SS setup to cause any online activity. i.e news screensavers or clock screensavers. Its personal preference as to whether spin down of the disc is neccesary.