PDA

View Full Version : Can I transfer all settings from old pc to new?

Warren
2006-11-01, 06:16
To celebrate the arrival of my Transporter yesterday (it's arrived!) I have decided to splash out on a shiny new pc with a 500 gb hardrive which should take me a year or three to fill. Ordered the new Pc yesterday and it's currently being built and due to be delivered next week.

Currently slimserver and all music are on an older PC that I will relocate elsewhere in the house as a family/homework PC. I am assuming that when the new PC arrives I simply need to install Slimserver and then copy my FLAC files to the music folder on the new PC.

Is it possible for me to transfer all the existing network settings over to the new PC so that it will recognise my SB and TP or do I need to set everything up again?

I'm using a Netgear router which took a few fruitless evening to get right hence my desire to minimise the pain when the new PC arrives.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

mherger
2006-11-01, 06:37
> Is it possible for me to transfer all the existing network settings
> over to the new PC so that it will recognise my SB and TP or do I need
> to set everything up again?

If file paths on both systems are identical I'd give it a try. You can
always remove it alltogether and start from scratch later.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-01, 08:08
Is it possible for me to transfer all the existing network settings over to the new PC so that it will recognise my SB and TP or do I need to set everything up again?

Really all you need to do regarding network settings is copy what's in Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network Connections - Local Area Connection - Properties - [scroll down] Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties.

You could also clone the OS disc with a program like Acronis TrueImage or Windows XP has a migration feature.