PDA

View Full Version : slimserver won't show all artists

Deanor
2006-10-31, 14:00
not all of the artists names are showing under the artists menu even though all of the albums are showing. Can anyone help?.

Siduhe
2006-10-31, 14:08
Are the albums in question Various Artists albums (compilations) ?

Do you have the "group compilations albums together" setting switched on ?

If you click on Various Artists, are the albums under that heading rather than under individual artists ?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, try changing "group compilation albums together" to "list by individual artist".

If this isn't the problem, can you give us a bit more info ? What OS are you using and what version of Slimserver ? What format are the files which have artist info missing ? If you navigate to the song under the albums, is the artist tag information showing ?

HTH

Deanor
2006-11-01, 12:10
Thank you for your reply Siduhe.
What I've got is this, each artist has a folder, in these folders are then album folders so if an artist has say two albums then there are two folders. However, over the years I have collected alot of single tracks so what I've done is create 27 folders named thus: Various 0-10, Various A, Various B, Various C, etc, etc and then placed the various tracks into the folders in accordance with the artist first name eg. George Benson will go in Various G. These files are a mixture of MP3 & Ogg Vorbis each track is tagged artist, album (this being the folder name not the actual album it came from), genre. I have the menu set to "list by individual artist" and I am running XP Home & slimserver 6.5.0 and yes if I navigate to the song under the album menu then the artist tag is showing. Now some of the artists from these Various folders are showing in the artist menu, I'm wondering if the reason why some are not showing is because there are too many files in the particular folder, I'll try and sus this out but in the meantime any more help would be appreciated.

Deanor
2006-11-01, 12:19
No this doesn't seem to be the problem. And I forgot to say that it's the artists in these Various folders that aren't showing except the ones in the folder Various 0-10. I hope this makes sense.

Siduhe
2006-11-01, 13:04
Deanor,

Ok, I don't think the problem is what I thought it might be (stray compilation tag), but am I right in thinking the problem is only with the singles in the "Various" folders ?

Do the songs appear under an Artist = "Various" by any chance ?

It sounds to me like Slimserver might be using the Guess Tags feature, and assuming that your top level folder "Various" is the Artist name, but it shouldn't do this if your files are tagged properly. How are you tagging the mp3 files (ID3v2 or ID3v1 ?)

If you want to send me a private message, I'd be happy to take a look at a couple of the offending files and see if I can work out the problem.

Deanor
2006-11-01, 13:12
OK Siduhe, what I'm now doing is putting the individual tracks into individual folders under the artists name and then rescanning & they are now showing up. What do you reckon?. I'm using Tagscanner and ID3v2

Siduhe
2006-11-01, 13:30
Ok, glad to hear that it's working for you (kind of). Without seeing the files it's difficult to guess what might be wrong with the tags.

Couple of suggestions:

Download one of mp3tag, Foobar or Tag&Rename (all free, at least to try in the case of T&R) and look at the files in that - see anything different or unusual ?

Go into your prefered tagging program and resave all the artist fields - don't change them, just force a resave and rescan. Does this sort the problem out even if you leave the files in the original "Various" folders ?

Deanor
2006-11-01, 15:17
I think I've solved the problem, thanks for your help.