PDA

View Full Version : Waking up Slimserver

MeSue
2006-10-30, 21:53
This just started in the past few weeks. I'm not sure exactly when, but updating to the latest 6.5.1 has not helped.

Every night when I got to play music, I hit the power button on the remote and the Squeezebox displays "Connecting to SlimServer..." Then the screen goes blank again. I hit the power button again and it displays "Waking up SlimServer..." and goes blank again. If I keep hitting the power button it will eventually wake up for real. It always used to come on instantly.

Anyone have a clue what might be causing this? I've looked all through the settings and can't figure it out.

PS: What is "PowerSave" plugin? I just had another look through plugins and noticed this one for the first time. Pretty sure it was not something I installed. Will try disabling it and see if it helps.

michel
2006-10-30, 23:44
If your 'server' PC goes into standby or hibernation mode there will always be a delay i.e. SB3's display going blank. Just wait half a minute or so, then try again.

Philip Meyer
2006-10-31, 01:41
>Every night when I got to play music, I hit the power button on the
>remote and the Squeezebox displays "Connecting to SlimServer..." Then
>the screen goes blank again. I hit the power button again and it
>displays "Waking up SlimServer..." and goes blank again. If I keep
>hitting the power button it will eventually wake up for real. It always
>used to come on instantly.
>
I had exactly the same problem - several people have been experiencing it too. I reopened bug 3778 which seemed to be related.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778

I seem to have fixed my problem, although I haven't updated the bug report yet as I'm still investigating.

My problem may have had something to do with IP address allocation. I was getting frustrated with the reconnection problem, so I restarted my squeezeboxes and went through all the connection settings again, this time changing from dynamic IP addresses to fixed IP addresses. I noticed that both squeezeboxes seemed to be suggesting that DHCP had allocated the same dynamic IP for both boxes. Also, my desktop PC hosting slimserver has always had a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2, but the squeezeboxes were reporting the slimserver IP address of 192.168.1.3.

It was strange because although the boxes wouldn't reconnect, I found that pressing power button twice would force the box to connect and it would be fine until slimserver was restarted.

I recently updated my routers firmware (a Linksys WAG54GX2) - something could have got messed up by that. I see that other LinkSys routers have had some new firmware releases that have screwed DHCP, so I have stuck with fixed IP addresses.

Phil

fsoares
2006-10-31, 05:55
...and "parsing errors" and "thread not found" when trying to connect to Internet Radio stations (that used to work perfectly until, as you say, a few weeks ago).

I am not sure, but it seems to me that problems compounded after upgrading to 6.5.0 (by the way, where is 6.5.1? The web page talks about 6.5.0 as the current version!)

When I bought Squeezebox (actually two of them, back in February) everything was amazingly simple and worked almost perfectly! Now, I barely am able to listen to music for more than ten minutes without interruptions or even disconnections. Not to speak of the inability to access stations and of the irritant inability in "waking up", as you reported, or to connect to Squeezenetwork.

Why don't the tech assistance people at SlimDevices jump in and make some light to us, or give us some hints about what went wrong (again, it used to be so good!)and when can we expect to have all this fixed?

radish
2006-10-31, 07:33
6.5.1 is still being tested, it's available as a nightly here: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

If you're having problems with 6.5.0 and want to go back to 6.3.1, that's also downloadable from here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.3.1/

MeSue
2006-10-31, 08:26
If your 'server' PC goes into standby or hibernation mode there will always be a delay

Can't be that. My server PC never goes into hibernation or standby. It's generally always on with the SlimServer service always running in the background.

My problem may have had something to do with IP address allocation. I was getting frustrated with the reconnection problem, so I restarted my squeezeboxes and went through all the connection settings again, this time changing from dynamic IP addresses to fixed IP addresses. I noticed that both squeezeboxes seemed to be suggesting that DHCP had allocated the same dynamic IP for both boxes. Also, my desktop PC hosting slimserver has always had a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.2, but the squeezeboxes were reporting the slimserver IP address of 192.168.1.3.

It was strange because although the boxes wouldn't reconnect, I found that pressing power button twice would force the box to connect and it would be fine until slimserver was restarted.

I recently updated my routers firmware (a Linksys WAG54GX2) - something could have got messed up by that. I see that other LinkSys routers have had some new firmware releases that have screwed DHCP, so I have stuck with fixed IP addresses.

Phil

Thanks. I will try going through the connection settings on my SB again. It sounds a little different for me, though, because I'm not even restarting SlimServer and this happens every night. I might reboot my PC once a week or so, but other than that SlimServer runs at startup and stays in the background all the time. At some point during the day the player just loses its connection with SS.

By the way, do you mind pointing me in the right direction on how to assign a static IP address to my server PC? I have Windows XP Pro. Is it something I do in my router settings or on my PC?

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-31, 09:07
By the way, do you mind pointing me in the right direction on how to assign a static IP address to my server PC? I have Windows XP Pro. Is it something I do in my router settings or on my PC?

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network Connections - Local Area Connection - Properties - [scroll down] Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Properties.

MeSue
2006-10-31, 20:05
Hmmm… it didn't happen tonight. The only thing I did was disable that "powerSave" plugin and redo the connection settings.

benj
2006-11-02, 11:49
Similar thing is now happening to me after I upgraded to 6.5.0 the other day - I turn my pc off every night and when I turn it back on again the next day, my SB won't connect to slimserver automatically. It's a small but very annoying thing.

I'll upgrade to 6.5.1 and see if it makes any difference.

MeSue
2006-11-02, 12:07
If it doesn't help try disabling the PowerSave plugin (under SlimServer server settings > plugins) and redoing your network setup (Hold the left button on the remote for 5 seconds to start setup). Those are the only things I did and it hasn't happened to me in a couple of days.

bahnsah
2006-11-07, 10:44
I'm having this same problem since going to 6.5.x. (Currently running 6.5.1 nightly from last week, WindowsXP, SB3).

Never ever happened before.

Symptoms are as described, cannot wake slimserver by just turning on SB3, must repeat several times.

Other symptom is that from PC/server, when I 'start slimserver'...my player does not show up, so I cannot just start playing music from my PC/server (whereas before I could). I have to go over and turn the SB3 on (and off and on...) again.

Any progress on this from slimsupport?

Bob Bressler
2006-11-07, 15:43
this is especially embarrassing when you are trying to show off your new TP to guests....

Has support acknowledged this as a bug yet?

bahnsah
2006-11-07, 17:02
Yeah, tell me about it! That happened to me this weekend.

Happened to me AGAIN tonight....took at least 10 minutes to get SS and SB3 to recognize each other.

Getting very frustrating....what's happening, here slimsupport?

Diana
2006-11-08, 00:36
Same thing has started happening to me. I upgraded to 6.5.1 (from 6.3) a couple of weeks ago, and I was delighted to find SB3 started automatically when SS started.

But the last few days I'm having to start SB manually, with a few repeated presses of the 'On' button. After one or two 'waking up Slimserver...' messages on screen, the SB starts.

As you say, minor, but irritating. And completely unnaccountable ::Diana

Siduhe
2006-11-08, 03:32
this is especially embarrassing when you are trying to show off your new TP to guests....

Has support acknowledged this as a bug yet?

Any progress on this from slimsupport?

Has anyone filed a bug or contacted Support ? This normally is the best way to get the attention of Slim Devices rather than these forums.

If you're not comfortable doing this, I'm sure someone would be happy to do it for you, but can we please have a bit more info from some of the people who are affected ?

Is everyone affected using 6.5.1. (and if so, which nightly build) ?
What OS ?
Which plugins do you have installed ?
What make / model PC / Mac - I guess the WOL magic packet may differ between them ?

moshulu
2006-11-08, 05:30
Exact same symptoms here since upgrading. Can someone fix this right away? Please.

bahnsah
2006-11-08, 05:31
Has anyone filed a bug or contacted Support ? This normally is the best way to get the attention of Slim Devices rather than these forums.

Yes, as stated previously, the following bug is open: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778 , and I have voted for it.

What OS ?
What make / model PC / Mac - I guess the WOL magic packet may differ between them ?

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10440 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Plugins: (all are checked/enabled)
Audioscrobbler Submitter
Command Line Interface (CLI)
Date and Time Screensaver
Digital Inputs
iTunes
MoodLogic
MusicMagic
Network Test
Podcasts
Random Mix
Real Rhapsody
Rescan Music Library
RS232
RSS News Ticker
Save Playlist
SlimTris
Snow Screensaver
Visualizer Screensaver
Windows: Prevent System Standby While Playing
XML-RPC/JSON-RPC Interface
xPL Interface

OS is Windows XP on a PC with a 2.6GHz P4-HT, 1.25Gb Ram and 2 HDD's (add'l drive dedicated to music files).

Browser is Firefox 2.0

Norton Internet Security as firewall.

SS-SB connection is wireless G.

Siduhe
2006-11-08, 05:52
Thanks, couldn't find the bug when I searched - I've added a link to this discussion on the bug to help Slim Support see these comments.

Do you get anything which might be relevant from the log files if you run Slimserver from the command line with the --d_slimproto flag enabled ?

To do this (windows), stop slimserver probably from the systray icon.
* Click "Start" button and then "run" menu.
* Enter "cmd" in the dialogue field and press return; a command prompt window (i.e. c:/> ) should open
* Enter the command at the prompt
cd C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server

* Enter the command "slim.exe" with the relevant debug option
slim --d_slimproto

After you've tried and failed to connect a few times, search for the slimserver.log and see if there is anything there which may help to narrow the problem down.

HTH

FLMike
2006-11-08, 07:50
I'm running 6.3.1 and XP SP2 and having the exact issue that Benj describes. As long as I leave my PC running, everything works fine. However, if the system is rebooted my SB3 will not connect. This is 100% repeatable.

The only way that I have found to resolve the issue is to manually stop the SS Service, wait a bit, and then restart it. Just closing SS and reopening does not work. I didn't bother reporting because I figured it would go away when I upgraded to the new version of software, but now not so sure.

Mike

bahnsah
2006-11-08, 08:20
Thanks, Siduhe. I'll try tonight at home and post back.

Diana
2006-11-08, 08:38

If you're not comfortable doing this, I'm sure someone would be happy to do it for you, but can we please have a bit more info from some of the people who are affected ?

What OS ?

Siduhe >>> In answer to your questions, I'm using

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10541 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

With all the standard plugins ticked, plus Lazysearch and AlienBBC.

System is a Dell Dimension 5150 running Win XP Pro.

I haven't filed a bug report, but would be grateful if someone could.

What I notice is that when I turn the computer on, SB does not start automatically; and it is not detected in the SS web interface. When I press the 'Power On' button on the remote, the SB screen says that it is 'connecting to slim server' and then that it is 'waking up slim server'. The screen then blanks again. A couple more presses of the Power On button usually gets the SB connected to SS.

Thanks for your interest.

JJZolx
2006-11-08, 08:54
I can say that when I was having this problem that it definitely was not a DHCP or IP address problem. The server logs very clearly showed SlimServer and the squeezeboxes talking to each other, but they weren't able to negotiate a connection.

My guess is it's either a SlimProto protocol problem, or possibly an issue with SlimServer (or Perl's) handling of network connections on the Windows platform.

patrickw59
2006-11-08, 14:13
I have the same problems you report.
It all started with version 650. The SB just sits there with the message "server waking up " or something like it. In all the weeks since my upgrade I may have listened to music for a couple of hours. Gladly I still have the CDs. What an irony.
Most of the radios have also stopped working (trouble with streaming).

This is really NOT a way to enjoy an equipment. I am getting somewhat tired.
In the evenings, I want to be a user, not a software engineer.

I heard that Apple will come up with some iTV device. I think I will go for it, their engineers get paid a lot and provide stable software.

Jeff52
2006-11-08, 15:36
I'm having problems maintaining a connection using a Netgear XE-103 powerline/homeplug however the wireless connection appears to work fine. At first I was having problems connecting to Slimserver but that has now morphed into a problem maintaining a connection as generally (but not always) the SB3 connects but thereafter intermittently loses its connection.

Is anyone experiencing this issue with a wired or powerline connected Squeezebox? I'm trying to determine whether this is a problem with my homeplug or whether this is a general networking bug as my wireless connection does not exhibit the problem.

danco
2006-11-08, 16:33
Patrick, have you tried either of the following:

1. Press and hold the Power button, and go through all the setup networking.

2. Press and hold the Power button, and then press the Up button (which gives the message "Connect to 192.....") and then press Right.

I have a Mac PowerBook, often find the issue you mention and methof 2 (or the more complicated Method 1) work fine.

Also, if you have the PowerSave plugin installed, try turning it off. there have been suggestions that this causes the problem, though I haven't checked enough to see if this is so.

bahnsah
2006-11-08, 17:31
To do this (windows), stop slimserver probably from the systray icon.
* Click "Start" button and then "run" menu.
* Enter "cmd" in the dialogue field and press return; a command prompt window (i.e. c:/> ) should open
* Enter the command at the prompt
cd C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server

* Enter the command "slim.exe" with the relevant debug option
slim --d_slimproto

After you've tried and failed to connect a few times, search for the slimserver.log and see if there is anything there which may help to narrow the problem down.

HTH

Not sure if this helps, but here is the log:
2006-11-08 19:29:21.7812 ERROR: Slim::Control::Command::setExecuteCallback() has been deprecated!
2006-11-08 19:29:21.7814 ERROR: Please use Slim::Control::Request::subscribe() instead!
2006-11-08 19:29:21.7814 ERROR: Documentation is available in Slim::Control::Request.pm

2006-11-08 19:29:21.8771 Slim::Web::Pages::addLinks() has been deprecated in favor of
Slim::Web::Pages->addPageLinks. Please update your calls!
2006-11-08 19:29:21.8774 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Web::Pages::addLinks (C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server/Plugins/LastFM/Plugin.pm line 334)
frame 1: Plugins::LastFM::Plugin::webPages (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 424)
frame 2: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 424)
frame 3: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::addWebPages (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 197)
frame 4: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::initPlugins (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 95)
frame 5: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::init (slimserver.pl line 412)
frame 6: main::init (slimserver.pl line 443)
frame 7: main::main (slimserver.pl line 58)
frame 8: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1486)
frame 9: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 10: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

That's it...it just stops after that, no further entries, and the command window does not change at all.

Edit:
Here's another log, this time running directly from the SS interface...you can see it took about 3-1/2 mins of pushing the on/off button repeatedly to finally connect with the SB3:

2006-11-08 20:25:03.0156 ERROR: Slim::Control::Command::setExecuteCallback() has been deprecated!
2006-11-08 20:25:03.0157 ERROR: Please use Slim::Control::Request::subscribe() instead!
2006-11-08 20:25:03.0158 ERROR: Documentation is available in Slim::Control::Request.pm

2006-11-08 20:25:03.1168 Slim::Web::Pages::addLinks() has been deprecated in favor of
Slim::Web::Pages->addPageLinks. Please update your calls!
2006-11-08 20:25:03.1171 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Web::Pages::addLinks (C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server/Plugins/LastFM/Plugin.pm line 334)
frame 1: Plugins::LastFM::Plugin::webPages (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 424)
frame 2: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 424)
frame 3: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::addWebPages (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 197)
frame 4: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::initPlugins (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 95)
frame 5: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::init (slimserver.pl line 412)
frame 6: main::init (slimserver.pl line 443)
frame 7: main::main (slimserver.pl line 58)
frame 8: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1486)
frame 9: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 10: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

2006-11-08 20:28:27.9878 Slimproto accepted connection from: [192.168.2.99:29062]
2006-11-08 20:28:27.9878 Setting timer in 5 seconds to close bogus connection
2006-11-08 20:28:27.9885 _hello_handler: Killing bogus player timer.
2006-11-08 20:28:27.9887 Squeezebox says hello.
Deviceid: 4
revision: 67
mac: 00:04:20:06:50:c5
bitmapped: 32768
reconnect: 0
wlan_channellist: 0000
2006-11-08 20:28:27.9887 Squeezebox also says.
bytes_received: 0
2006-11-08 20:28:27.9889 creating new client, id:00:04:20:06:50:c5 ipport: 192.168.2.99:29062
2006-11-08 20:28:27.1909 *************stream called: q paused: format: url:
2006-11-08 20:28:27.1912 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Player::Squeezebox::stream (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Squeezebox.pm line 212)
frame 1: Slim::Player::Squeezebox::stop (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm line 233)
frame 2: Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::stop (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Squeezebox.pm line 92)
frame 3: Slim::Player::Squeezebox::reconnect (/PerlApp/Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm line 68)
frame 4: Slim::Player::Squeezebox2::reconnect (/PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 850)
frame 5: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::_hello_handler (/PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 380)
frame 6: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::client_readable (/PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 7: Slim::Networking::Select::select (slimserver.pl line 492)
frame 8: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 445)
frame 9: main::main (slimserver.pl line 58)
frame 10: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1486)
frame 11: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 12: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

2006-11-08 20:28:27.1913 starting with decoder with format: m autostart: 0 threshold: 255 samplesize: ? samplerate: ? endian: ? channels: ?
2006-11-08 20:28:27.1914 flags: 0
2006-11-08 20:28:27.1915 sending strm frame of length: 24 request string:

benj
2006-11-11, 04:36
Well, I've upgraded to 6.5.1 - removed the old version completely and reinstalled afresh. It worked for a few days, but now it's back to the same old problem. I don't seem to have a power save plugin so it can't be that.

Brian Ritchie
2006-11-12, 17:36
Since upgrading to 6.5.0 and then 6.5.1 I've had similar problems on occasion. My normal fix is that when the SB fails to connect on the first attempt, I:

- turn it on again
- let it get past "Waking up SlimServer..."
- when it gets to "Connecting to SlimServer..."
- press the left arrow on the remote
- SB now says "Connect to <name> at <ip address>?"
- press the right arrow
- SB now connects properly
- but usually goes into standby
- one more push of the red button turns it on

I've never had this not work (so far - touch Formica).

I've not managed to work out why this happens sometimes but not others. It's not (solely) related to the order in which we turn on the boxes.

-- Brian

Brian Ritchie
2006-12-05, 18:28
Following suggestions elsewhere (glimpsed in passing, details forgotten, sorry), I've now streamlined what I do to:

My normal fix is that when the SB fails to connect on the first attempt, I:

- turn it on again
- let it get past "Waking up SlimServer..."
- when it gets to "Connecting to SlimServer..."

- press the red button.

Indeed, sometimes I don't even wait for the first failure, and push the red button whenever "Connecting to SlimServer..." appears.

So far, has worked every time.

-- Brian

cherryplinth
2006-12-12, 15:26
...and "parsing errors" and "thread not found" when trying to connect to Internet Radio stations (that used to work perfectly until, as you say, a few weeks ago).

I am not sure, but it seems to me that problems compounded after upgrading to 6.5.0 (by the way, where is 6.5.1? The web page talks about 6.5.0 as the current version!)

When I bought Squeezebox (actually two of them, back in February) everything was amazingly simple and worked almost perfectly! Now, I barely am able to listen to music for more than ten minutes without interruptions or even disconnections. Not to speak of the inability to access stations and of the irritant inability in "waking up", as you reported, or to connect to Squeezenetwork.

Why don't the tech assistance people at SlimDevices jump in and make some light to us, or give us some hints about what went wrong (again, it used to be so good!)and when can we expect to have all this fixed?

I am having exactly the same problems. I got two SqueezeBoxes in February. Everything was working beautifully. Now in the last couple of months I have been having dropped connections to Internet Radio stations and the same "waking up problems" described above. I am now using 6.5.1, but I am not sure it has helped these problems any. I think the software is issued too early, before it is fully tested.

stinkingpig
2006-12-12, 20:16
On 12/12/06, cherryplinth
<cherryplinth.2iq4vz1165962601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> fsoares;151212 Wrote:
> > ...and "parsing errors" and "thread not found" when trying to connect to
> > Internet Radio stations (that used to work perfectly until, as you say,
> > a few weeks ago).
> >
> > I am not sure, but it seems to me that problems compounded after
> > upgrading to 6.5.0 (by the way, where is 6.5.1? The web page talks
> > about 6.5.0 as the current version!)
> >
> > When I bought Squeezebox (actually two of them, back in February)
> > everything was amazingly simple and worked almost perfectly! Now, I
> > barely am able to listen to music for more than ten minutes without
> > interruptions or even disconnections. Not to speak of the inability to
> > access stations and of the irritant inability in "waking up", as you
> > reported, or to connect to Squeezenetwork.
> >
> > Why don't the tech assistance people at SlimDevices jump in and make
> > some light to us, or give us some hints about what went wrong (again,
> > it used to be so good!)and when can we expect to have all this fixed?

I kind of think that the tech assistance people were scared off from
the mailing list/forum by all the lousy attitude and trash talk around
the Logitech acquisition. It was ugly. So now, your best bet is to
call support if you want to talk to them.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

kkottman
2006-12-22, 06:51
I have had SB3 since July - and started having this persistant "connecting to slimserver..." or "waking up slimserver..." issue. The device itself just seems to occasionally shut-down and go black - no screen saver no power-save - just black.

I had originally thought this related to the 6.5.1 upgrade which I did in the Oct timeframe at the prompt. It had worked fine until then. I had so many problems with the upgraded server that I ended up rolling back to 6.3 (fully documented in a couple other posts)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28416

-and-

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29817

I had basically re-set everything on the server side back to original and still had the problem....so I re-upgraded fresh to the nightly build and for a few days all was well.....then it happened again.

I have a strong feeling that this issue lies within the firmware update that happened in conjunction with the server-side upgrade since that appears to be the only thing that changed....I'm not sure whats involved in rolling this back or what the implications are so I have not tried it. However the work-arounds mentioned in this post have worked for me. I turned powersave plug-in off, set server to be static IP rather than DHCP, and when I experience the problem, I do the hold-the-power-key-down then left button trick to get it to cycle through the networking and it has not failed so far (knocking on wood)

I am using:

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10761 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 10.10.10.6
Player IP address: 10.10.10.7

<<SB3 is connecting wirelessly>>

Player Firmware Version: 69

Thanks for the help in advance

Andyb01
2006-12-22, 12:49
I am also getting this problem (as I recall I haver always had it) and I use DHCP. Currently on 6.5 (have tried later builds but regressed due to album art problems). I just recycle through the 4 step set up - takes a few seconds and then it's stable. No big deal really - yes it should work without that but I can't get too excited about I'm afraid and as for trying to fix it - personally I'd rather just sit back and listen to the music.

Andy

jake
2006-12-22, 15:17
Downgraded from 6.5 to 6.3 and now it's working fine.

Robert_W
2006-12-23, 16:37
Same issues happened to me last night for the first time. Have 2 SB3's running on 6.3.1 since June with absolutely no problems on a dedicated NAS wired with Cat6. Listening to Pandora with no problem, then changed to server. 2 songs into playing it just died. Black screen, nada. Connecting, Waking up,etc etc but would not wake up. Just black screen. It would however re-connect to Pandora. I'm running DHCP. Checked my network and saw that the SB3 was getting an IP that was not conflicting with anything. Obviously if it WAS working with Pandora. Other SB3 working fine with no problems....yet. Server would not see the SB3 that was not functioning, however it did see the other. I should not have to assign IP addresses maually.

Solution was to reboot router and server then everything worked fine after IP addresses were re asigned. For today anyway. Server is running XP SP2 and it never even hiccups. So far it's very stable.

I do have to say that reading through this thread gives me SERIOUS reservations about ordering the Transporter. If these issues don't get worked out Logitech might find that they made a poor investment!

Come on Slim guys, lets figure out a solution huh?

tbessie
2006-12-23, 20:12
There's a bug logged against this (perhaps several) in Bugzilla (can't recall the number), and I was told to turn off my firewall. I don't think it's the firewall, because I'm not seeing any packets between my computer and the SqueezeBox blocked (I allowed the MACs of both devices to talk to each other, all protocols and ports).

Since I see other people having these problems, I wonder if it is indeed the firmware or SlimServer version.

I just updated to the latest nightly, firmware 71 (was 69).

Perhaps this will fix things?

- Tim

Robert_W
2006-12-23, 21:47
There's no firewall on my internal network. Everything runs through a 24 port gigabit switch. I only use my dsl routers dhcp.

I'll try the latest firmware. I would sespect that there's a lot of others out there with similar problems. If it is a firmware problem it would sure be nice if folks could post if the new firmware has resolved the issue.

Just a quick update:

Seems the only way to upgrade firmware on the SB3 is to load a new version of Slimserver???? Strange, and some one please correct me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction.

Since this is the first time this has happened to me I think I'll wait to do so if it becomes a major problem. I hate to upgrade to new versions of anything that are working. And I don't believe any of this to be a server problem. It worked perfect for months and months...argh.