PDA

View Full Version : 6.5.1 mysql problems

Paul Forgey
2006-10-30, 20:58
These problems actually started in 6.5.0. When going up to 6.5.1, I did completely uninstall 6.5.0 and zot'd the slimserver directory.

Unlike others, I am not running any antivirus programs.

The server will run fine for about a week, and then quit. When I restart, the music directory will appear to have all my artists and albums, but browsing into an album results in "empty" for any arbitrary one I find. If I clear and rescan, I only pick up a small handful of my music once the scan is done.

If I completely uninstall and remove the slimserver directory, install clean, things work fine for another week.

It takes _hours_ to scan my entire music collection so I can't put up with this. I'm going back to 6.3.1. As much as I wanted the Rhapsody integration, these failures aren't worth it.

The following entries are in my event viewer when it screws up:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): no sth generated via sql (Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652
): SELECT me.name, me.value FROM metainformation me WHERE ( name = ? ) at C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 30

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): no sth generated via sql (Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (10061) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652
): SELECT me.name, me.value FROM metainformation me WHERE ( name = ? ) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 30

Paul Forgey
2006-11-03, 19:30
Still happening in 6.3.1, but my intention was to downgrade before the mysql switch and I remembered wrong when this was done. Now going back to 6.2.2.

Is there a way to use the later builds without mysql as a backend?

Paul Forgey
2006-11-03, 19:58
So much for that.. that version apparently isn't seeing my iTunes 7.x database.

As much as I hate to say this, I'm giving up. Since I use iTunes as my ripping/storage/organization method anyway, Airport Express is starting to look like a more viable option (and cheaper). I'll miss being able to access my library directly on the device, but I'm tired of having to troubleshoot things every time I just want to play some music.

Mitch Harding
2006-11-03, 21:48
Have you filed a bug on any of this, or contacted support? I'm told they
are very helpful.

On 11/3/06, Paul Forgey <
Paul.Forgey.2gq9dz1162609201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> So much for that.. that version apparently isn't seeing my iTunes 7.x
> database.
>
> As much as I hate to say this, I'm giving up. Since I use iTunes as my
> ripping/storage/organization method anyway, Airport Express is starting
> to look like a more viable option (and cheaper). I'll miss being able
> to access my library directly on the device, but I'm tired of having to
> troubleshoot things every time I just want to play some music.
>
>
> --
> Paul Forgey
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Paul Forgey's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=157
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29229
>
>

Paul Forgey
2006-11-04, 01:17
I started with the original Squeezebox with version 2 (I think) of the SlimServer software.

I've pointed Slim Devices products at my friends and family who are greateful I did.

It's very unhelpful to file a bug on general, unreproducible behavior.

Yes, I could contact support and in the past they have been very helpful. This isn't a total knock against Slim Devices.

But I can see from searching around the forum the problems I am having are not unique and started with the mysql backend. It just doesn't seem work with my music collection.

It isn't just database problems I am tired of. The iTunes integration via periodic rescanning of the xml file doesn't work very well and really doesn't work in the context that I would like to use it. Even incremental scans takes a while and usually just ends up corrupting the database regardless of backend. Something that acts like an iTunes shared music client, similar to how support for Windows Media sharing or Rhapsody work, would be great. Unfortunately, it's a closed protocol (although it's been reverse engineered).

For example, if I want to just listen to a podcast that I updated, oh boy. I manage my podcasts with iTunes and I subscribe to a lot of them. Browsing them with the SlimServer interface is impossible. I know about the podcast genre. It's not the same easy list iTunes has. Then the database keeps getting out of sync, showing episodes that no longer exist or mislabeling them and I end up having to do a clear and rescan everything (and a very long time) for them to show up properly.

My music collection seems to be presented new and differently every day until it finally corrupts and brings down the server.

These are just small examples of my frustrations. To say nothing of coming home from work and wanting to just play a certain album while balancing my upset 4 month old on my hip and seeing the database has once again lost its mind.

So, I could work with support and try to end up with a situation where this is fixed, or I could sell my SB2 and purchase another product that's a better fit for my needs. I have tried out the Airport Express and it is something that just works better for me.

Call me old, grumpy or no fun, but I'm past the point of wanting to tweak with my appliances or even work with tech support to make them work.

It's just not for me anymore.

ceejay
2006-11-04, 01:17
Still happening in 6.3.1, but my intention was to downgrade before the mysql switch and I remembered wrong when this was done. Now going back to 6.2.2.

Is there a way to use the later builds without mysql as a backend?

Not quite right - 6.5.0 was the first version which used MySQL. Versions up to 6.3.1 used SQLlite (though you could use MySQL if you wanted to). If your problem still appears in 6.3.1 then its not due to MySQL, or else you didn't completely clear out 6.5 when downgrading.

6.5 onwards ONLY use MySQL.

Ceejay

Paul Forgey
2006-11-04, 01:22
Not quite right - 6.5.0 was the first version which used MySQL. Versions up to 6.3.1 used SQLlite (though you could use MySQL if you wanted to). If your problem still appears in 6.3.1 then its not due to MySQL, or else you didn't completely clear out 6.5 when downgrading.

6.5 onwards ONLY use MySQL.

Ceejay

That's what I thought I remembered. It's curious I was having the same behavior between the two. I removed c:\program files\slimserver after running the uninstaller. Is there another location the database is being put? Applicaiton Data would be appropriate, but I don't see anything for either All Users nor the user it runs as.

ceejay
2006-11-04, 01:52
That's what I thought I remembered. It's curious I was having the same behavior between the two. I removed c:\program files\slimserver after running the uninstaller. Is there another location the database is being put? Applicaiton Data would be appropriate, but I don't see anything for either All Users nor the user it runs as.

AFAIK all the data goes under the slimserver directory. But regardless of the data, the programs should have been cleaned out by deleting that directory! If you deleted that directory, and then installed 6.3.1 as a clean install, I cannot imagine how you would get MySQL errors appearing in your event log!

Sorry I can't be of more help

Ceejay

Paul Forgey
2006-11-04, 02:25
AFAIK all the data goes under the slimserver directory. But regardless of the data, the programs should have been cleaned out by deleting that directory! If you deleted that directory, and then installed 6.3.1 as a clean install, I cannot imagine how you would get MySQL errors appearing in your event log!

Sorry I can't be of more help

Ceejay

Sorry -- I wasn't clear about "same thing" in the 6.3 server. The end behavior was the same, but no, there were no mysql errors in the event log.