PDA

View Full Version : I had to resort to using Media Player!!! :(

Green19
2006-10-29, 23:44
Let me start off by saying that I am a huge fan of Slimdevices, I have worked in the IT field for many years and since discovering slimserver I recommend them at every opportunity.

However, one client recently had a Halloween party at his home. He owns two SB3 and has softsqueeze running on three windows XP machines. So the idea of running music in to every room in his house was very appealing. The only problem is I canít seem to get his Slimserver to behave. One or more of clients attached to the slim server will just go quiet or start to stutter while the rest play on.

It will play for hours and then suddenly stop, or stop with in seconds. I ended up having to use windows media player in the end because I just could not make it work, Which is very sad because I think SD are excellent. I was hoping someone might have an Idea something I have not triedÖ although itís a bit late now. I have tried the following

- At first I thought I was a Wireless issue, until it started stopping on the box that was actually running the server.

- Just to be sure I scanned for other wifi signal and hanged the channel to one with no other networks.

- All wireless signals are 80% -96% but still the reduced the bit rate to 96kps

- I moved the Server on to an all wired network, change.

- Upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5

- Updated firmware on all SB3

Their donít appear to be any bottle necks on the network, all the workstation are very high spec with loads or RAM and no high CPU usage. It is a Linksys router with I donít like but it seem to be running ok. Other symptoms include SB3 and softsqeezes locking up (again on the same machine as the server as well as wired and wireless) the screen going blank. Sometimes it counts on the screen 32xxx 64xxx.

I have run out of ideas, am assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Graeme

mherger
2006-10-30, 00:45
> It will play for hours and then suddenly stop, or stop with in seconds.

Will just the playback stop, or is slimserver stopping all together?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Green19
2006-10-30, 09:26
The Server itís self runs fine.

The player will stop, and usually then become unresponsive. Pause, play, now playing donít do anything.

If I close the software and open it again it still wonít play, if I break the sync and then use the web interface to play then it starts, but usually it stops again at the end of the track even though 70 tracks are in the play list. And the SB3 keeps on playing.

I know wireless can be an issue, but what confuses me is why does it stop on the server box itís selfÖ.
Thank you

graeme

P Floding
2006-10-30, 09:29
Let me start off by saying that I am a huge fan of Slimdevices, I have worked in the IT field for many years and since discovering slimserver I recommend them at every opportunity.

However, one client recently had a Halloween party at his home. He owns two SB3 and has softsqueeze running on three windows XP machines. So the idea of running music in to every room in his house was very appealing. The only problem is I canít seem to get his Slimserver to behave. One or more of clients attached to the slim server will just go quiet or start to stutter while the rest play on.

It will play for hours and then suddenly stop, or stop with in seconds. I ended up having to use windows media player in the end because I just could not make it work, Which is very sad because I think SD are excellent. I was hoping someone might have an Idea something I have not triedÖ although itís a bit late now. I have tried the following

- At first I thought I was a Wireless issue, until it started stopping on the box that was actually running the server.

- Just to be sure I scanned for other wifi signal and hanged the channel to one with no other networks.

- All wireless signals are 80% -96% but still the reduced the bit rate to 96kps

- I moved the Server on to an all wired network, change.

- Upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5

- Updated firmware on all SB3

Their donít appear to be any bottle necks on the network, all the workstation are very high spec with loads or RAM and no high CPU usage. It is a Linksys router with I donít like but it seem to be running ok. Other symptoms include SB3 and softsqeezes locking up (again on the same machine as the server as well as wired and wireless) the screen going blank. Sometimes it counts on the screen 32xxx 64xxx.

I have run out of ideas, am assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Graeme

Unfortunately, I found softsqueeze generally unstable.

Ramage
2006-10-30, 09:42
The Server itís self runs fine.

The player will stop, and usually then become unresponsive. Pause, play, now playing donít do anything.

If I close the software and open it again it still wonít play, if I break the sync and then use the web interface to play then it starts, but usually it stops again at the end of the track even though 70 tracks are in the play list. And the SB3 keeps on playing.

graeme

Be aware that in SS 6.5.* some MP3 files will not play on Softsqueeze although they are fine on SB3. Have a look at this bug: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4313, and thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=145905#post145905.

I puzzled over a similar problem and fixed it (for me) by changing the tags.

Just to clarify your position check whether the failures are on specific MP3 files. You could be chasing the wrong end of the problem.

Green19
2006-10-30, 16:07
Thank you for the post so far, I have considered the MP3 themselves but have not trouble shouted from that direction yet.

I think my problem is that I am dealing with two separate issues but I am trying to work though them as if they are one issue.

Question: Is the bug present in 6.3? Because one of the reasons I upgraded was too try to fix the problem.

- First I have the stopping during playback of the softsqueezes. Which is possibly cause by the bug (need to investigate that more)

-Second Stuttering and stopping, blank screen and un-responsiveness of the SB3.
I know there are threads on wireless issues causing this but I have tried it wirelessly and wired.

Green19
2006-10-30, 16:21
Little more info.
He is not using the Java plugin for softsqueeze and the music collection is 56Gig all Mp3

tried using SS 2.8 and 3.0
went from firmware 55 to 63 (i think)

Ramage
2006-10-31, 01:56
Question: Is the bug present in 6.3? Because one of the reasons I upgraded was too try to fix the problem.

Believe that the MP3 bug did not appear in 6.3.1 but started in 6.5.0.

The latest nightlies may have fixed it, see the updates on bug report http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4313

Wireless problems can present themselves when tracks changeover, which is when the buffer is loaded, and bandwidth demand is at its greatest. Try to monitor the network traffic - several free/shareware products available - use Google.

Green19
2006-10-31, 09:10
The Bug seems to relate to the Java Plug-in which he is not using Ö so I donít know if that is my problem

I have monitored the buffer and the wireless network but all seem fine. Buffer is at 100% and network is not over used. What is strange is that it seem to slow down over time. First the scroll gets ďjerkyĒ then stops and goes blank or the music starts to stutter (when it starts to stutter the buffer is low) but the network is apparently running fine.

Ramage
2006-11-01, 02:35
The bug also affected the JLayer MP3 decoder as well, so this problem can't be discounted for softsqueeze problems.

How do you know the network is OK when stuttering occurs? With wireless, there are numerous reasons why the throughput of data could be affected (well documented on this forum). The only reason that the buffer depletes is that it is outputting data faster than it is being input. SB3 normally loads the whole track/file into buffer at the start unless you have bit rate limiting invoked. As tracks change there will be another burst of network activity to transfer the next track into buffer. If the network throughput is too low at new track stage then the music will be interrupted, especially if there are a number of synchronized players.

The above is not the case for streamed internet radio which is streamed continuously to the SB3.

Some suggestions to help diagnosis:

*Use a simple network monitor to check the network traffic.

*Try testing the SB3 with a network cable to eliminate wireless problems - (I see you've done this already)

Green19
2006-11-01, 20:35
I am beginning to think it his Linksys router (blood thing). It is running the latest firmware and everything and I have checked and double checked the setting, it seem every time there is burst of data it stops for a few seconds and then carries on… which is nice..

If I get a new N Linksys http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8046303&st=linksys+n&type=product&id=1158104003797

I had better fix it! :) It’s a 5 story house so running CAT5 is not an option and it needs to be a powerful signal. I also want to move his music on to a ready NAS but he wont want to spend more money unless I can get this current setup working (with a new router).

Mind you I just been reading about it and most people hate it .... I I don't know what to recomend now hmmm

Ramage
2006-11-02, 00:41
I am beginning to think it his Linksys router (blood thing). It is running the latest firmware and everything and I have checked and double checked the setting, it seem every time there is burst of data it stops for a few seconds and then carries on… which is nice..

If I get a new N Linksys http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8046303&st=linksys+n&type=product&id=1158104003797

I had better fix it! :) It’s a 5 story house so running CAT5 is not an option and it needs to be a powerful signal. I also want to move his music on to a ready NAS but he wont want to spend more money unless I can get this current setup working (with a new router).

Mind you I just been reading about it and most people hate it .... I I don't know what to recomend now hmmm

Wireless to multiple players could always be a bit flaky especially in a large house where coverage could be patchy. Possible alternative wireless router see Radish post http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29254

You could also consider some powerline ethernet adapters such as Devolo Microlink - I don't use them myself but there are a number of discussions about this technology on this forum. Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug_powerline_alliance

I see you have another post re the router question

Green19
2006-11-02, 14:49
Never liked wireless....

The ironic thing is that my wireless which was free and made by Microsoft, of all people has always worked perfectly were as his very expensive top of the range at the time Linksys is causing me problems....

I have had some experience with using sockets as network connections but they did not work to well when I used them maybe the technology has improved...