PDA

View Full Version : Random play idea

Cirieno
2006-10-29, 08:50
I love the idea of being able to shuffle a playlist, but if a playlist is very long (ie sleecting "all tracks" from a collection of thousands" then the selection and shuffling process can take a while.

Would it be a good idea to have an option to select a random set of a given number of files from the whole collection as Slimserver has it in the dat5abase alread? For example, a button for "random [user-number] tracks"?

erland
2006-10-29, 09:08
Would it be a good idea to have an option to select a random set of a given number of files from the whole collection as Slimserver has it in the dat5abase alread? For example, a button for "random [user-number] tracks"?
Have you looked at the RandomMix plugin included with slimserver, it basically does this but also continues to add new random tracks to the playlist.

Cirieno
2006-10-29, 09:23
Interestingly, I had looked at it but hadn't yet used it for two reasons (neither of which are actually criticisms of the function and will in fact make me sound quite silly, but...)

1) it doesn't allow you to choose what directories to play from, though this may be more something to think about SlimServer itself. For example, I have as mentioned a collection of untagged or badly tagged MP3s (as one does) and a seperate directory of Flacs I've created and tagged and are pretty-near perfect resolution. I was hoping for a method or plugin where one could pick to play just from the one directory or collection, or even make short playlists from the whole directory (eg like the "browse music folder / add all songs / shuffle song" functions, the only ones I ever use). So to automatically create a playlist, randomise it and then trim it to a user-defined length, in one sweet quick action.

2) Aesthtically speaking, the list of genres should go at the bottom of the page and the functionality at the top. It was easy to miss the input field, or even know what it was actually for.

These are just thoughts, splashes of mental colour on the wall. Daub with them what you will.

--Ciri

smc2911
2006-10-29, 16:11
For example, I have as mentioned a collection of untagged or badly tagged MP3s (as one does) and a seperate directory of Flacs I've created and tagged and are pretty-near perfect resolution.
Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and clean up the tags on the MP3s!