PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver fails during a "showoff"

kanoot
2006-10-29, 08:28
The other night I decided to show off my slim setup to a friend whom I've always thought would appreciate it (developer, music lover, geek).

During my little demonstration I had the following happen with 6.5.1:

1) I had to explain that yes, the duplication of tracks have been happening since I got it over a year ago for a variety of reasons. No, there are no checks for it in the software that I know of.

2) I had to explain that it doesn't always get the album art even though itunes can - that's been happening for over a year for various reasons.

3) [squeezebox shuts off, slim server displays "playlist not found"] Um.. yeah, thats been happening since I got 6.5

When my friend told me "its not worth the money, too flaky" I was stuck by just how "flaky" it all had become since the first heady days of using it. Perhaps its just a matter of not having the newbie excitement anymore but I am pretty sure that my system has gotten buggier and buggier each time I upgrade to the latest "stable" releases. The only reason I grabbed the non-official 6.5.1 was because of bullet point #3 in my list, and that still happens. All three of these have been in the bug tracking numerous times.

Are other people feeling the same or am I being too cynical?

hellesangel
2006-10-29, 08:35
Maybe your points are all valid, but for what I use my Squeezeboxes for they work perfectly and have improved. I own two SB3s and use them mainly (exclusively at the moment) for playing internet radio stations. The server/player firmware has improved noticeably in the past year - now while the station connection is in progress the player's UI remains responsive, the server looks nicer and for me it's all stable, and because of the WeatherTime plugin they even get girlfriend approval.

stinkingpig
2006-10-29, 08:55
On 10/29/06, kanoot
<kanoot.2gg43z1162135801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> The other night I decided to show off my slim setup to a friend whom
> I've always thought would appreciate it (developer, music lover,
> geek).
>
> During my little demonstration I had the following happen with 6.5.1:
>
> 1) I had to explain that yes, the duplication of tracks have been
> happening since I got it over a year ago for a variety of reasons. No,
> there are no checks for it in the software that I know of.
>

If your tags aren't correct, it will fail. It does take work to get
them correct, which has been well documented. That being said, I think
that there may be additional issues around use of iTunes, which I
can't really speak to as I don't use it.

> 2) I had to explain that it doesn't always get the album art even
> though itunes can - that's been happening for over a year for various
> reasons.
>

Use Album Art Aggregator, then wipe and rescan your database.

> 3) [squeezebox shuts off, slim server displays "playlist not found"]
> Um.. yeah, thats been happening since I got 6.5

Never seen that one.
> Are other people feeling the same or am I being too cynical?
>

I've seen some crashes too, and I'd like it to be better... but then,
I can say the same two phrases about my new MacBook (crashes all the
time), my old PowerBook G4, the two IBM/Lenovo Windows XP laptops in
the house, my home-brew SuSE server, the data-centered Dell 6350
running SuSE that I share with some friends, my Tivoli Mark Twos with
subwoofer (poorly grounded), my Blackberry 8700, my iPaq 4150 (can't
be flashed to a new BIOS), my wife's Motorola RAZR (can't get photos
off of it), her iPod mini (battery is dying), and all the cordless
phones in the house (http://www.monkeynoodle.org/comp/race).
Technology does not meet high expectations, and the only high tech
device in my life that has proved fairly reliable is my 2005 Prius
(knock on wood). The good thing is that it does improve so long as
there is desire to make it better, and with software, that improvement
goes quickly. Your options are to lower your expectations or to wait
for improved technology.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

danco
2006-10-29, 09:39
I've seen some crashes too, and I'd like it to be better... but then,
I can say the same two phrases about my new MacBook (crashes all the
time)--

And have you checked with Applecare? If so, what did they say? Or have you Googled for the problem?

There's a well-documented issue with either the Macbooks or the Macbook Pro, can't recall which, whose cause has now been found and Apple will make the repair under warranty.

I have had the occasional crash on my PowerBook and occasionally an individual program crashes, but both are very rare.

kanoot
2006-10-29, 09:41
The good thing is that it does improve so long as there is desire to make it better, and with software, that improvement goes quickly. Your options are to lower your expectations or to wait for improved technology.

Don't get me wrong - I still love it and I havent put a CD in the player for quite a while. Still, I keep thinking that if I downgraded to an older version of slimserver I would find myself listening much more than tweaking.

slimpy
2006-10-30, 02:59
This is certainly a playlist problem. There's not much slimserver can do if your playlists refer to files that no longer exist or if they use paths to the files different from the ones in the slimserver database.
Backup your iTunes library file, delete all you playlists and rescan. This should solve you duplicate tracks problem.
I know that you're reluctant to change anything in your library (see thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21953 ) but in the end this is the only way to solve your problem. You can keep waiting for a fix for something that isn't a bug in slimserver but that will be a long wait...

-s.